News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Going racing

Started by dingleberry, March 29, 2015, 02:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingleberry

It's the other/new going racing thread...

I have finally got motivated and am going to 'have a crack' at track racing. I'm prepping a 2005 Triumph Daytona at the moment to start on in BEARS racing and will ride in moderns in another club (CAMS=Classic Action Motor Sport). I'm joining CAMS to get involved with pre 89 etc as I have a few old bikes. The current project for pre 89 is a mid eighties gs550 (gsx550 in NZ) but one day I might get the Vision to the track as well although I'd be wasting my time as it's only a 400. Ah well it's only for a bit of fun anyway..... ;)
You like, oui?

fret not

Does your new club offer a track orientation "class"?  It's good to know what they require in regard to technical safety, equipment allowed, etc. 

It will be an entertaining experience for sure.  Been there, done that.  The track is definitely the place for aggressive riding, NOT on public roads. :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

dingleberry

Yeah there is a development class where everyone wears hi vis vest and gets followed by a more experienced rider for tips and pointers. I was told by my mate that I need to take my riding to the track as there was no way he'd ride like that on the road lest he killed himself. Then he rides his dirt bike up a hill that I looked at and thought no way lest I kill myself! I'm looking forward to it immensely, about a month to go.
You like, oui?

Rikugun

Cool, this should be fun to follow! Glad to hear you're taking your fast riding to the track where it's safer for everyone.  ;)  Seriously, when racing you'll find people more apt to follow the rules compared to out on the roadways. Plus, everyone is usually going in the same direction which reduces head on collisions.  :)

What kind of prep is involved for the Daytona?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

dingleberry

At this stage I'm just taking off everything I possibly can and blanking off holes in fairing etc. Have got some slicks from a guy that races a superbike, 2 sets for $100. Removing secondary air injection, aftermarket can and a remap. That's all for now. Don't really want to go too fast, would rather get involved with the older stuff.
You like, oui?

dingleberry

I can't help myself, I'm in lightening mode again. Got an enlargement of my wiring diagram and set to work. Have removed just under 1kg of wiring and connectors only and I'm not finished with it yet, that's just the stuff that doesn't go directly to ecu and all the important bits. Will probably go to 520 chain and sprockets, maybe a lightweight rear brake caliper and rotor as back wheel will be barely touching ground under braking anyway. Unfortunately I'm going to have to spend on springs to match my weight so I can get suspension dialled in well, but its much easier to put bike on diet rather than myself.
You like, oui?

dingleberry

Two weeks to go roughly. Just found out that the BEARS club are trialling a new class, Formula 1 B class. This is great as it caters for 675 triples, 600/650 fours and 750 twins. This means that I won't get passed by Aprilia RSV1000 and BMW 1000RR etc. My friend has just bought a Ducati 748sps so we will be racing together  ;D
Was left in the lurch with my leathers as the woman I took them to for alteration had them for 4 weeks before she decided to nearly double the written quote! Needless to say I will not recommend her to anybody (business name: Stitch in Time). I was lucky to find a set on trademe.co.nz in my size so I snapped them up quickly (US 52) as tall leathers don't appear too often. Off to shave some bolts in the lathe now....
You like, oui?

dingleberry

Got some fancy plastic to make crash bobbins with and turned up my first one last night. Paid $80/m for 50mm rod so way cheaper than buying them in a packet. Will use high tensile bolts for frame bobbins and have got some semi tensile ((forgot grade)still have to make threads) rod for the axles. Also cut stock muffler in half and removed all the guts except perforated steel and packing. Dropped over 2.5kgs just by doing this. Not as ideal as the Yoshi I have for it but it remains stock mounting rather than cutting and welding at this stage. There is a baffle of sorts in pipe before the end can so hope it doesn't get black flagged at the track where 95db is the limit. I have downloaded Tune ECU and my mate has the plug (common diagnostic plug to most cars) so will be able to change maps to avoid it running too lean. Will also be handy to turn off all the fault codes that are no longer applicable, such as cooling fan which is no longer there (heavy old thing lol). Will post up some photos soon so you can see what I'm talking about, although its a busy weekend with Anzac day tomorrow, a trail ride on Sunday, promised the boy I would get his new bike sorted, promised my wife everything she said I promised her...
You like, oui?

Rikugun

I'd be curious to see what the inside of a stock muffler looks looked like. Post those pics when you can.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

I've got a DB meter if you want to check before track day.

dingleberry

Rikugun, unfortunately the end can was hacked and bashed gradually so it's going to be difficult to see how it should be from a pile of mangled metal. But it did resemble a Honda Hornet one that I debaffled sometime ago, lots of reversing flow etc. It was very quiet when on bike, but its earsplitting loud now which brings me to decibels.....

POD, yes please. It would be great to get an idea if I'm in the noise zone before I get black flagged. I saw dB meters in Jaycar catalog just this morning and wondered if the cheap one would tell the story correctly. The pricey ones I can't justify. I could use one for when my wife is chewing me out about not tidying up, so I would know at what point to call noise control.  :'(
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Mine's just a cheapie, but should get you in the zone.
95db at the track is measured at about 10 metres, at the WOF station at only a meter, and cops stick their meters right up your pipes.  It makes a huge difference since sound pressure follows the inverse square law

dingleberry

Cool, you made me look that up but it's pretty simple as it turns out. Just sounded scary. BTW I know I live in the boonies but no cop is sticking anything up my pipe! Squeal like a pig boy.........eeeeee!!
You like, oui?

Rikugun

"Deliverance" references never seem to fall out of vogue.  :)

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rikugun on April 25, 2015, 07:36:58 AM
"Deliverance" references never seem to fall out of vogue.  :)
Especially if you live out Oxford way

dingleberry

You like, oui?

dingleberry

Got some pics for you guys at last. Not quite ready to go but very close. A rolled ankle and ligament damage have put this on hold for a while but I did a trail ride last weekend, about 90km and seem to be ok, so off to the track very soon.

You like, oui?

dingleberry

Off to Ruapuna raceway tomorrow with my buddy and his Ducati. Will just be a shake down day to set up suspension and get familiar with riding a sportbike after 25 years. The power to weight figures on this bike will be the best I've ridden and should put my 135hp Speed Triple to shame.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Have fun, and don't let yourself get turned into a Ducati fanboy

dingleberry

A bit late for that, I've already seen Radical Ducati's builds. Very tasty stuff although I read they have shut up shop now. You should quit work, send your wife out to earn money and come along to track on Fridays too.
You like, oui?