Going racing

Started by dingleberry, March 29, 2015, 02:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Radicals look really expensive.  You'll be flogging off more than the ST to get enough parts to build one of those

dingleberry

Well I got out on track today and wasn't a complete success. My gear change lever broke after my epoxy repair. My side cover seeped oil after my epoxy repair spreading oil on the back tyre. I was using old touring tyres that were on the bike when I got  it and wasn't really laying it over as they hadn't been fully scrubbed in. Bike runs really well but will take some getting used to before I can get the suspension tuned in. I haven't got tyre warmers yet but this is a priority now as I want slicks on before I ride again so I will feel more comfortable powering through corners. Did get a bit of wheelie action coming out of the dipper.  ;D Anyway got in half a dozen laps so that's a start. School holidays for two weeks now so the kids and I will be mucking around down the back paddock on the dirt bike track I'm making. POD, if you fancy a squirt round on it I've got a spare bike and don't worry about dropping it because that's what they're made for.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Epoxy !  Epoxy is for punks.  Don't you have a perfectly good welder in the shed?

Your own personal dirt bike track sounds awesome.  Love to give it a go one weekend. Now I'll have to build a vision scrambler as well.

dingleberry

If I had a perfectly good welder in the shed he/she could weld up a whole lotta stuff.

A Vision scrambler would be pretty cool, but shaft drive?
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

You should join me at CPIT welding school on Mondays

If I do a scrambler, it will need a chain drive conversion I think.  And some proper spoked wheels.

pinholenz

Sounds all pretty terrifying to me. I am just happy to get my speedo working again. Many thanks Dingleberry!

Maybe we might get you gentlemen up from the 'other island" for our Wanganui Cemetery Curcuit races - held every year on boxing day since 1951.

I've been here for about three months now, (survived the floods OK) but still haven't found out who built that yellow xz550 tracker that was sold on TradeMe
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: pinholenz on August 29, 2015, 09:11:13 AM
Maybe we might get you gentlemen up from the 'other island" for our Wanganui Cemetery Curcuit races - held every year on boxing day since 1951.
It makes a lot of sense to have the street races around the cemetary - less far to travel after you fail to make the hairpin.   8)
I, unfortunately will be packing up my house over the Christmas break to get my earthquake repairs done.  No bike racing for me.

dingleberry

Good to hear that your earthquake repairs are getting sorted, its only five years on almost. As for the cemetery circuit count me out, that would cost a whole lot of money I don't have. In fact, racing bike may have to be sold as well as a few others just to recover from the bad year we have had with our business. Having a road closure for most of a year due to sewer pipe replacement (good old earthquake again) has not helped our finances.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: dingleberry on August 30, 2015, 10:06:48 PM
Good to hear that your earthquake repairs are getting sorted, its only five years on almost. As for the cemetery circuit count me out, that would cost a whole lot of money I don't have. In fact, racing bike may have to be sold as well as a few others just to recover from the bad year we have had with our business. Having a road closure for most of a year due to sewer pipe replacement (good old earthquake again) has not helped our finances.
Only sorted in that I'm taking a third mortgage out to pay for them myself.  The utter Sam Hunts at the Earthquake Commission won't do anything except paint over the cracks literally.

The Prophet of Doom

Since we are both broke, how would you like to collaborate on a zero cost Vision project to build an XZ550 version of this?

dingleberry

I could definitely contribute to the zero cost part. I'm sure our version would be sans Sands.
You like, oui?