News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Just got XZ 550

Started by Slav91, March 31, 2015, 05:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slav91

Got some "bad news" lol, the stator is fried  :-\ and regulator (small silver box) also, but that box isn't original, so I found serial one with these marks " 4x7-A0  SH 238 " for like 10 euros (new is about 115 euros) striped from working bike also XZ 550. Well the seller said it is 100% in working condition, but we will see if I got any lucky there :D Unfortunatlly the engine of that striped bike is sold today, so I'm to late for stator part, but I will send it to electric workshop to see if they can repair it.

Anyways that all happend because of bad wiring, "electrician" who "fixed" the bike before I got it, got some wired mixed up. Just hope TCI is good.  ??? Wish me luck ;D Here are the pictures of regulator. It will arrive in two days from now.
Yes as a matter of fact I do know what I'm doing! Now get back in case it blows up..

Rikugun

The regulator doesn't get much air flow behind the battery box and heat from the "Y" pipe doesn't help.  Some elect to move it to a place with better air circulation.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

dingleberry

I was looking through an electronics catalog (Jaycar probably equivalent of RadioShack or similar) and found some 12V fans in sizes tiny to small for not much moolar ($). Could be a good alternative if aesthetics rate high on your list of priorities.
You like, oui?

Slav91

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, mounting the fan on regulator.  It will get more air then just putting in outside, but we will see if i got any place left when all electric things get in.  ???

Here are the pictures of the stator  ;D

Yes as a matter of fact I do know what I'm doing! Now get back in case it blows up..

Rikugun

Here's an experiment I ran last season. Actually this hot mess is just one version and the most involved with heat sinks on the stator cover and a 4" 12vdc fan on the R/R. The parts are recycled computer bits. I kept my IR temp gun in my tank bag and monitored things on different rides in various temps in spring summer and fall.

The mounting plate in my post above has all the extra holes as evidence of the various configurations. It will also accept two different center to center R/R mounting holes in 2 orientations.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

As far as getting cool air to the RR,  I mounted mine on a small piece of specially shaped heavy duty truck mud flap and then mounted the mud flap to the left hand passenger foot peg with the RR fins facing inside toward the rear tire and the smooth side of the flap facing outward.  I suspect that there is significant turbulence at that spot.  If it can't get enough ventilation there, then Oh Well.  The mud flap isolates the serious vibrations at the peg mounting location.  Its' flexibility tolerates mounting movement without damage if, harshly contacted.  I painted the mud flap semi gloss black and am considering using the flat surface for some kind of Yamaha logo, perhaps  the triple Tuning Forks.

Slav91

Just a little update.
I couldn't get seals here in Serbia (only from Germany, eBay) my friend is coming home from Germany about 15 june, so that was to far away for me so  I decided to make my self one.  ;D
I used carton paper for model, and I bought today seal material, so I just have to draw the lines with the help of the model on seal material.
I just put loctite glue on stator cover, and put carton all over it, when I made sure that carton is flat on the cover I started cutting. Before that i found a picture of original on net just to have an idea how it should look like.

Slav91

And the stator is rebuild, we will see in couple of days how does it work.  ;D

Slav91

Does anyone know from what other Yamaha bike cable clutch fits on XZ550?   ??? Can't get the damn thing here in Serbia, untill June when my buddy comes home from Germany.

Rikugun

I tried looking up the cable to see what other models used it and found nothing. There may be another model's cable that will work but I'm unaware of what that might be. If you find one please let the forum know.

Nice job with the alternator cover gasket and good luck with the new stator.

Slav91

One question, are all TCI interchangeable on XZ 550?
Will this one fit my bike?

Type : TID12-06
11H-10

Re-Vision

Works on my bike, exact same numbers.     BDC

Slav91

Hello everyone, got some "good" news  >:(
I got the bike back in my garage today. And why? Because that guy didn't do nothing much for all of this time, and everytime i call him to ask about the progres he said it will be this sunday and that sunday etc.  He did he did succeed to start the bike and it run like crap (at least he say so I was not there). And then he got the carbs down and cleaned them and replace electrical wires from replacement bike to mine and TCI box. The wires look allot better then mines. But that was month ago, and he was to slow, allways accepting other jobs over that one. And even those jobs he didn't finish well, everyone is complaining about him. Ah... nevermind.

In the mean time (from 6 april till today) I got allot of spare parts for the bike like (complete electrical wires, TCI, and allot of other parts of  another working xz550 all for like 40 bucks).

And also the gauge, and I refreshed a little bit. But messed up the red zone whit bad pain job lol.  :'(

Anyway will try to start a bike in couple of days just to check some others things.
Today I got off the YICS off the bike, and it looks like it full of oil or some other thing. Its all black inside i don't thing thats a good thing lol. Look like somebody allready open it or at least wanted to open. Those three little holes was covered with silicone. And when i put air in one of the income holes, it  blew air on one of the screw holles.

Slav91

So I guess this is bad YICS?  :P What should i do? Any advice is welcome  :angel:

Re-Vision

Three choices, repair it, replace it, or delete it. Easiest task is to block off vacuum lines and do without it.      BDC

fret not

Slav91, one very important caution is the regulator/rectifier has a connector exactly the same shape as the TCI box, so DO NOT GET THEM MIXED UP or you will ruin the TCI unit.  The 3 wires from the new stator should connect to the regulator/rectifier.  The TCI box connects to wires coming out of the wiring harness.  Good luck with this project.

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Slav91

How can I block the YICS? I have read somewhere that you can connect YICS hoes to those on carburator   intake boot and that would work also? I have two place for hoes in the left carburator intake.

@Fret Nut

I'm gonna check every wire beffore I try to start it, but I think it is connected good, because stator wires are not connected directly to TCI.  They are going over regulator/rectifier.

fret not

Plug or cap the fittings for the YICS.  :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Slav91

I have a problem, one month ago my friend and I've tried to start the engine, and it was spining, but no luck.
Yesterday I transported the bike to local electrician, to connect disconected wires etc. And we tried to start the bike it didn't move!   :-[ So we get off the started and tried with small crowbar to move it and nothing! Even put it in third gear and push it. No luck there neither.  :( The pistons are stuck to cylinders, I don't understand how can that be in such short time (one month)? ???

Does anybody have an idea how to make it runing again without opening the engine?  ???

Single Carb Vision

Pull the spark plugs and see if it has coolant in the cylinders.