News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Just got XZ 550

Started by Slav91, March 31, 2015, 05:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Early stage exhaust silver disc failure sounds like a loose valve.

Slav91

Huston we have a problem  :( I have putted new gas cable, and wanted to make a video how it looks when I'm trying to start it (to give you better pic whats going on).  And it was all different, when I tried to start it it wouldnt even make "boom" from exhaust (I was expecting that by the look on my face.  ;D)
Something else happen, it made hard hit (looks like inside of engine) and i think its the valve. I'm not quite sure. ???
Here are the video.

http://vid270.photobucket.com/albums/jj92/Felony-14/Yamaha%20XZ550%20bobber/Sk.mp4
Yes as a matter of fact I do know what I'm doing! Now get back in case it blows up..

Slav91

Quote from: fret nut on September 26, 2015, 02:40:41 AM
Salv91, the 'clicking' sound may be the valves need adjustment, . . . or it may mean the rear connecting rod has bad bearings.  I would check the valve clearances first.  Also check the cam chain adjusters for proper tension of the cam chain.

Where are the cam chain adjusters?
Yes as a matter of fact I do know what I'm doing! Now get back in case it blows up..

fret not

In the video the starter sounds like the battery has low state of charge.  The TCI ignition system needs a minimum of 10.5 volts from the battery or it won't work. The battery must be fully charged.

If the cam chain slips a tooth or two it puts the cam 'out of time', then it can lift a valve at the wrong time and is possible to make valve contact with top of piston.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Slav91

I have tried to turn cam chain adjuster screw in front and back cylinder, and in the back it didn't move but in the front it did little. So i gues I need to get the engine out and check for valve timing. Probably because of that the front cylinder didn't have smoke, both cylinders have spark, but only the rear made "boom" sound and had smoke comming out of his exaust.

jefferson

You don't really need to remove the engine to check the cam timing. Don't do a lot of extra work you don't need to do.

Slav91

This is what i need to follow right?

QBS

I've got a bad feeling that you are fixing to go down an invalid and potentially fatal rabbit hole.  The "hard hit" you spoke of may be a common characteristic of a V being cranked with a weak battery.  They all do it and it sounds like hell.  Before you jump to dangerous conclusions and tear your engine apart without even knowing what you are looking for, do this: Fully charge the battery.  Remove the air cleaner.  Put a little starter fluid/ether down each carb throat.  Key on.  Push starter button.  Report results here.  If starter fluid is unavailable use gasoline instead.

fret not

There you have the voice of Reason and Experience. :D  Thank you for that wise direction.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Slav91

I opened the valve covers. The chain tensioner is fully loaded, the front cylinder is a little loose, not to much maybe 1 mm and tensioner is fully loaded. And here are the pictures of crankshaft. In the time when I was making photos the rear piston was at the top end.

Rear cylinder

And front cylinder.

It looks ok ?  ???
Now I was reading some post here (after opening the valves cover  :-\ ) and there was some guy I think Canada that had similar problems, and after he cut off wires for rev limiter the engine started. What cylinder rev limiter kills if its always on? There are sparks on spark plugs on both cylinders.

The Prophet of Doom

Looks OK, but it's hard to judge alignment from this side.  Over the back of the sprocket there is a dent on the cam, make sure that is lining up with the mark on the head.

Are you doing your valve lash while you are in there?  One of the best things you can do to make your Vision run well.

Single Carb Vision

I hope your bike starts to work as well as your camera, those are very nice pictures.

Slav91

@ProphetOdDoom

When  I put dents on the arrows they match (both crankcase dents on one  cylinder are on their arrow points)  in every cylinder when I move them.  But I'm confused, if crankcase in front cylinder are in position like on this picture, should be crankcases on back cylinder be in their position like in the picture of back cylinder? Or they should look like that separately when I put them on their math points?

@Single Carb Vision
Hahahah at least that thing works his job hahahaha :D

I will try to assemble the bike and cut the rev limiter wire, it should be black and yellow wire on the gauge right?  ??? Because I didn't have the gauges when i bouth the bike it was separately puted on bike wire harnes so I will cut that thing to, and try to start the bike with full baterry once again.  :-\

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Slav91 on October 13, 2015, 06:16:23 AM
When  I put dents on the arrows they match (both crankcase dents on one  cylinder are on their arrow points)  in every cylinder when I move them.  But I'm confused, if crankcase in front cylinder are in position like on this picture, should be crankcases on back cylinder be in their position like in the picture of back cylinder? Or they should look like that separately when I put them on their math points?
The picture is a little confusing - your bike will never look like this for both cylinders at the same time.
Rotate the crank (clockwise) till you see T showing through the round window from the flywheel. The Front cylinder should now match the picture but the rear will not.
Rotate again till you see 2T through the window.  Now the rear cylinder should look like the picture but the front will not.

Slav91

And flywheel is where stator is right?  Under Yamaha YICS plate? Can I use impact screwdriver to get  screws loose, because they are not moving with regular one.  :-\

Re-Vision

The Prophet of Doom

They are JIS screws I think, ideally you would use a JIS screwdriver.  I suppose an impact driver would be OK but you may ruin the screws.

The YICS plate gives you access to the crankshaft.  Use a socket to turn it (Take your spark plugs out so you don't have compression to deal with).
The big screw a bit higher up and to the right is a window for the edge of the flywheel so you can see the markings.  It's plastic so I use a washer/pliers to undo it and not mark it up.

Slav91

This is the position of first T 

Position of front cylinder

Position of back cylinder

This is the position of second T

Position of front cylinder

Position of back cylinder

It does look a little bit weird?  :-\

hoverhead47

I think it looks weird maybe because it's not TDC compresion stroke. Try turning the crank one more revolution and see how they look then.

Slav91

Quote from: hoverhead47 on October 17, 2015, 12:06:49 PM
I think it looks weird maybe because it's not TDC compresion stroke. Try turning the crank one more revolution and see how they look then.

You were right, one more turn to T 1 and T2 and it was all in place. So I assembled the engine and tried to start it with start fluid and almost nothing, the battery although charged went weak again. Its only 9 Ah 12v battery because 14 Ah wouldn't fit in the place, hope that not the problem.  :-\
Anyway something did happen when i putted start fluid, got small bang front exaust of last cylinder and smoke comming from carburator of front cylinder.  ???
Here is the link for the video, and also if you can see on the end of the video I'm video taping carbs inlet, is that correct way for nozzle to put fuel in cylinder or it needs to be sort of "fog"? Sorry for my bad english can't find a word for that.  :-\ I did dissasemble the carbs and didn't find much dirt just some small slimy parts  ??? , and I have putted parts in gasoline for the night. Is there anything on carbs that i need to look carefull for problems? I did have one problem that if i putted the "pilot" gas tank over it the fuel had leaked where are the choke valve but on the other side of housing?

http://vid270.photobucket.com/albums/jj92/Felony-14/Yamaha%20XZ550%20bobber/E_1.mp4

I'm thinking that maybe should get the carbs cleaned in ultrasound cleaning machine, but I'm scared that it will damage the seals that are not available here.