Just got XZ 550

Started by Slav91, March 31, 2015, 05:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slav91

Hello everyone I'm Slavko from Serbia. Two week ago i got Yamaha XZ 550 bobber project, about 80% done.
The frame of the bike was modified, doesn't have monoshock anymore it is "hardtail", the frame of the bike was painted in black metalic. Now how I got it?  :D
Well my brother in law bought Suzuki Burgman from one guy, and he notice the bike in corner of garage, then he takes the picture and showed to me. And after a few days and talks the bike ended in my garage.  ;D The old owner lost interest in finishing his project, the project was on pause button about 2 years now. When i bought it didn't know much about it (about original problems that this bike has). After a few research I bumped on this forum (luckily for me  ;D).  So there is one problem, when he striped the bike, he got all electric wiring off the frame and after his friend electrician reasemble it, the bike didn't work normaly, the bike, the lights everything that has to do with wires lol.  ;D
So i registered here with hope that you will help me start this bad boy up.
P.S. : Sorry for my bad english and little longer story.  :P
Here are the pictures of the bike

Yes as a matter of fact I do know what I'm doing! Now get back in case it blows up..

Slav91

And here are the wiring  ;D
Yes as a matter of fact I do know what I'm doing! Now get back in case it blows up..

Rikugun

Looks like it will be an interesting project to say the least.  :) I think this is the first Vision I've seen with forward controls. That's a sexy rear fender, what is it from? That and the headlight really give it an old time bobber look.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Looks like it has a lot of the oem wiring harnness.  You must find a V wiring diagram and a multimeter.  Any V will be good, but a wiring diagram specific to the '82 would probably match your bike.   Research this site.  I think that it once had the Haynes manual wiring diagram available.

Re-Vision

I would look for a way to tie up all the electrical components so that you will be able to go to each part consistently while running down problems. Buy a new fuse block and replace your old fuse holders as they give lots of problems. We can help when you get something to work with such as a description of a specific fault.     BDC

The Prophet of Doom

Wiring diagrams on the link on my sig

Slav91

The Prophet of Doom

That's for a US model.  Though there is not all that much difference there are some.
Go to the link in my sig, download the manual marked (11U) Service Manual EN, FR, DE

There are detailed wiring diagrams near the back

Rikugun

Quote from: Slav91 on April 01, 2015, 03:34:13 AM
Is this Wiring Diagram any good?  :D

http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/Diagrams/SchematicTCIBig.jpg
At a glance that looks reasonable. I see it's from a reputable site so that's good. There may be some changes depending on which regulator/rectifier is used regarding the brown wire. You may also consider cleaning up a bit by eliminating the 2 relays and switches for the side stand and clutch switch. Changing the fuse block to a blade style already suggested is a good idea.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Slav91

Hello, me again.  ;D Just strip baterry box form the frame.  And i notice this. I have no idea what  is this? But it was disconected from the connector near him. I got original battery for him 12v 14Ah 140A, but it  i couldn't put it on the battery box so i change it for 12v 9ah 100A, should not be a problem, right? ???

Slav91

And also, where this  hose go? To airbox maybe?

Re-Vision

You figured correctly, bottom rear of airbox.   Manual calls for 14A/h battery,  I wouldn't use a smaller rated battery.      BDC

Single Carb Vision

The bike or at least the motor and front wheel are 83. Dual disc on front wheel and remote/relocated crankcase oil fill tube (was for 83 with lower fairing, USA bike). The mirror look like 82. Personally, unless you have already spend a lot of money on it or you just really, really needed the challenge, I would turn that Bobber into a sinker. Good luck

fret not

The "box" in your pictures is not from a Yamaha XZ550.  It may be a Regulator/Rectifier.  Follow the wires coming from the stator, and see what they connect to.  That should be the R/R, and from the R/R to the battery.

The connector on the wires coming from the stator (3 yellow or white) is the same kind of connector as the one that connects with the ignition box, and THEY SHOULD NOT BE INTERCHANGED or you will fry the ignition box. :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Kenny

Hi,
   Neat bike I am wondering what the tank was from ? As this is a European model it has dual front disks and likely had the 3/4 sports fairing when new. Their versions up to 86 I believe did not have 83 style carbs, also I have not seen a European model with the slotted disk brakes like the 83 North American models.
   I believe their models all came with a different gear ratio which lowers the rpm by around 500. I have euro gears in the two 83's I have and it makes a better touring machine.
  Enjoy your project nice to see it when its done up .
     :) Cheers Ken S.   
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Slav91

Thanks for support and help guys.  :D
I got the blade fuse box and I wanted to play with electronic but something good happen today.  ;D
Today a friend of my brother in law came by, he worked in Germany for 30 years, and about 15 or 20 years in motorcycle service shop. He is electrician and mechanic. And about 3 years he came back to Serbia,  anyway he looked the bike  and he said that he knows that model and his "problems". And that he will need couple of days to see whats the problem with electrical wiring of the bike, so I have transported the bike to his garage today and he will call me in a couple of days to tell me whats the plan.  ;D Hope that TCI is still good.  :-\
I have one question, is there any other tachometers (gauges)  except original that suits for XZ 550? I'm looking for some round ones, think that will look better then square ones that XZ original has. 

Slav91

Quote from: Kenny on April 06, 2015, 02:28:55 PM
Hi,
   Neat bike I am wondering what the tank was from ?

Some parts of tank are original, and some were added from some other "donor" tank. At least i think  ???

Single Carb Vision

Slav, don't spend any money on the bike until you hear it go RRRMMMM RRRMMMM RRRMMM. If there is a problem with it getting started or the engine has a problem, you might just be spending money on things you won't / can't use. I can tell you are excited to have it running but some times you need to just do one step at a time. I hope you get good news from your friend.

Slav91

Quote from: Single Carb Vision on April 07, 2015, 10:43:29 AM
Slav, don't spend any money on the bike until you hear it go RRRMMMM RRRMMMM RRRMMM. If there is a problem with it getting started or the engine has a problem, you might just be spending money on things you won't / can't use. I can tell you are excited to have it running but some times you need to just do one step at a time. I hope you get good news from your friend.

I didn't plan to spend much money on it before I hear RMMM RMMM  :D  I'm just interested on info about tachometers.  The only think I did buy so far was the fuse box for blade fuses (that was necessary) and set of fuses (about 10$ spend so far) and now I'm just waiting for news from a friend. Thanks for nice wishes.  ;D

Single Carb Vision

RMMM, RMMM? or No RMMM, RMMM?