News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Coolant/oil leaking from block

Started by twolfie85, April 22, 2015, 02:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twolfie85

Hello everyone!
I am in the process of getting an 82 going, to take advantage of this beautiful NC spring! Fuel tank is at a radiator repair shop patching up a pinhole leak, and carbs are about to be removed and cleaned thoroughly. 
However, I have noticed that I have coolant and a bit of oil leaking from the seam down the center of the engine.  Also have coolant coming out of one of the pipes coming up and out of the engine, and they both feel loose.  Sorry my terminology isn't great, but I am a noobie when it comes to mechanical work, and I accidentally left my Haynes manual in PA when I moved down to NC.  It is however on its way, in the mail.

I have attached some pictures for clarification.

Thanks for the help! I will be glad to answer any questions that will help with the diagnosis

Cheers
1982 XZ550

QBS

I suspect that the coolent is coming from the left chrome coolent pipe.  It appears to not be fully inserted into the water pump housing. It should look like the right hand pipe.  These pipes are only held in place by tight fitting "O" rings, one at each pipe end.  Even when properly inserted they have some degree of flexibility in their mounting.  That is how as it is supposed to be.  These pipes will pull out of their holes if they are pulled on.  You might be able to stop the leak by pushing the left pipe further into the pump housing. The "O" rings can be replaced without removing the water pump housing.  When doing so, be VERY carefull to not kink them while you are maneuvering them into their holes.  TIP for you:  put grease on the "o" ring  and the hole walls before you attempt to insert the pipe into its' holes.  That will make the "O" rings slide much easier into place.  While this system may look like it could be prone to be troublesome, in reality it's an excellent design that for me and many others has proven to be trouble free.  Unless someone doesn't understand it and starts pulling on things.

Rikugun

Is oil leaving puddles on the floor or just minor leaks? If it's just minor try tightening the case fasteners you can see to verify they're all snug.

Here's some info on the O-rings and you'll easily find more with a search
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=14425.0
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

twolfie85

The oil is just minor leaks, i'll get replacement o rings for the coolant pipes and try to tighten up the case screws tomorrow.  Thanks for the help guys!
1982 XZ550

fret not

Don't over tighten case screws!  They need to be tightened reasonably snug but not REALLY tight.  Typical case screws are fairly soft and the heads are easy to deform and strip, then you have to drill the heads off to pull the case to get the old screw out.  It is a good idea to replace all the screws with Allen head (hex socket) screws as they are much less likely to strip out and easier to remove when needed.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

QBS

In 30 years of V ownership and experience I have never seen oil drip from the bottom of the engine.  From shaft seal and stator wires, yes.  Never from anywhere else.  Approach your case tightening plan with great care and thought.

jefferson

I had an engine that leaked at the seam of the crankcase on the bottom. I doubt the bolts will be loose and that tightening them will stop it. It took a teardown and a good sealing to stop it. I hope I'm wrong for your sake.
The stock bolts are allens and they hold up much better to wrenching.