Bike won't start - not sure what is wrong

Started by ghostrider, April 26, 2015, 04:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostrider

As the title thread says - the bike just wont start.  For some reason when I hold the Start button in, I get a single "click" noise and then nothing.  For every press of the start button I hear a single click.  Not sure how to troubleshoot.  The dash lights up, so I know there is juice but beyond that, I am lost.

The Prophet of Doom

The click is the round starter solenoid right next to the battery.
If you have a multimeter then check for voltage at the starter motor.  No voltage = bad solenoid or wires, voltage = starter
If you don't have a multimeter, then buy one, and while you are waiting for it to arrive, use jumper cables to take power straight to the starter motor (take care you don't short it.
Starter motor goes = bad solenoid or wires, Starter motor does nothing = starter

Single Carb Vision

When did it last run? Will the engine turn over if you have it in gear ( 4th or 5th )and push it or does the rear tire just skid on the ground? Don't rush out and buy anything until you know the engine is not seized. It's an easy test and won't cost you anything. Good luck.

Bill

I had exact same thing happen to me.  The seal between crankcase and starter failed and allowed oil to enter the starter case. Rebuild kit was available on Ebay.  Seemed like a big deal at the time but the rebuild wasn't too bad.  I suggest taking  to machine shop to press on (rather than hammer on) appropriate parts.

ghostrider

Needless to say, I wasn't able to determine the real cause of my bike not starting.  I'm not the most technically apt person, so since it was inspection time for me, I decided to have it towed so the shop can fix whatever starting problem exists.

Question - will a 1982 Starter motor work with my 83 Vision?

QBS

Yes.  Make Certain that the '82 has the upgraded spring lip design oil seal installed.  If it doesn't, do not install it until it has been upgraded.  Also be certain to do a bench test on the motor.  If its history is unknown, do a brush replacement on it before installing it.  These things are not hard to do or ascertain.

ghostrider

Thanks QBS, I will let the shop know.  They haven't called me back yet so if I am lucky I will only need to replace the wiring and not the starter itself.

Single Carb Vision

Hi, did you ever try putting it in gear 3rd, 4th or 5th and seeing if you can push it. Does the tire turn or does it just skid on the ground? If it turns that is good, then your problem is wiring or starter ( not starter relay/solenoid because you heard it click). If the wheel won't turn, on the ground when you push the bike, then the engine is locked up or something in the drive line is locked up. Hopefully you won't get that news from the shop. Good luck.

Single Carb Vision

Solenoid could have a problem with the contacts on the output side and still click but replacing the solenoid is the easiest of the repairs unless you just have a wire off.

ghostrider

Just got the bike back from the shop yesterday.  Turns out one of the wires on the starter somehow corroded into nothing...

That being said, it is running in the best shape it has since i have owned it.

ghostrider

So... I may have spoken too soon.

This morning, it gave me some problems starting.  I had to quickly tap the ignition switch in order to get it to start.  Pressing and holding it did not work. 

Then, after a 20 minute cruise, not even about 11 miles or so, I parked when I got home.  I tried to start it back up immediately after parking and no luck...  Anyone have any suggestions?

devotee

Sounds to me like you have a 30+ year old bike. The symptoms are consistent with your original post. For most of us, the camera and microphone are off. This limits our constructive input a bit.

With that preface, my suggestion would be to (one by one) disassemble and clean with a brass wire brush contact cleaner and the like, the electric connections. Start with the battery connections and the grounds to the frame. They must all be in various stages of decay if your starter connections were gone. I know it is a tall order, particularly if you are not electrically inclined. If you do not have clean reliable connections, then you have the opposite (dirty - unreliable connections), and will experience unreliable performance. This prescription is not limited to the starter motor and spark plugs.

Try it, you may find it therapeutic recreation.
devotee
XZ550RK
XS750E
GL1000 (1976) project

Single Carb Vision

Cleaning the electrical connections is a good idea but I think I would try a replacement Solenoid to at least try out. The starter switch not working when pressed but working when tapped is strange and my need the contacts cleaned also. After you press/tap the starter switch the next thing in line (assuming the wires are okay) would be the Solenoid and everything seems to indicate that  the problem is between the Battery and the Starter. You original post said when you pressed the starter button/switch that the solenoid would always just click. The Solenoid seems to be very erratic in what it does after the starter button is pressed. There is also a switch at the kick stand that interacts with the starting circuit. At least you didn't have any engine or drive line problems so whatever it is could be considered minor at this point. Good luck.

Single Carb Vision

I guess I should also let you know (just in case you don't) that sometimes electrical components will malfunction when they get heated up, like on an 11 mile ride and you might need to let the bike sit for a half hour or so before it cools down enough to start working again.

devotee

Pressing and holding sounds like a dirty switch. Clean it for reliability.

Tapping a solenoid to make it function is a solenoid on the way out. Tap it to get home. Change it for reliability.

If you want a more reliable ride. read my last post.

WRT the solenoid, when identified, replace a failing component. If in doubt, re-watch 2001 A Space Odyssey.

devotee
XZ550RK
XS750E
GL1000 (1976) project

ghostrider

@devotee & @Single Carb Vision

I really appreciate the feedback.  I've been away for the past two days and haven't tried to restart it.  I'll let everyone know how it goes when I get the chance.

ghostrider

So I was able to get it to start, but only when the bike is in neutral.  When the bike is in gear, when I pull the clutch lever in, it does not start.  When I start the bike in neutral, hold the clutch lever in and try to engage 1st gear, it just dies.

My thought is that the clutch cable needs to be adjusted.  Does that sound about right?

Single Carb Vision

No, I don't think it does. What position is the kickstand in when you are doing this. The kickstand has a position switch and if I remember correctly it needs to be up BEFORE the bike can be put in gear. If the kick stand was down when you were checking things, try putting it up and see what happens then. Remember now, if I remember correctly you had some other intermittent problem before this won't go into gear thing, so you will still need to deal with that. Good luck.

ghostrider

@singlecarbvision - the kickstand was definitely up.  I can pull the clutch lever in with absolutely no resistance whatsoever.  I am unable to get the bike into Neutral easily. 

Somehow the clutch cable has become out of alignment.  I've viewed a couple of YouTube video's for adjusting it and it doesn't seem like a task that is beyond my abilities.  I just need to take all of the bodywork off so I can adjust the cable near the engine.  I will be sure to follow up with how it goes.

Thanks again man, much appreciated.

devotee

Do you have one of these?

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=225

There is a clutch switch as well as a neutral switch and a sidestand switch.
devotee
XZ550RK
XS750E
GL1000 (1976) project