News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Question about sidestand

Started by PHM, May 24, 2015, 03:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHM

I have a 1983 XZ550 and was just curious about the lean angle of your bikes.  I only use the centrestand, because I am worried about the bike tipping over.  If anyone has a picture of their bike on the sidestand of a picture of the side itself, it would be appreciated.
Thanks...Paul

Ken Williams

I believe the sidestand as delivered from the factory is too long and positioned not sufficiently over center.  I removed some material from my stand so when deployed, it rested forward of the original position.  My guess is the lawyers wanted to assure it would fold up if the interlock switch was defeated and someone rode away with it down. 

PHM

Let me correct myself.  This stand seems to have a abnormal bend in it, which when leaning on the sidestand side it seems to have one heck of a lean angle towards the side stand side.  I had one Yamaha that seemed to lean almost upright, which worried me, so on that I always used the centre stand also.  Seems I either have one that leans too much or not enough.  I must be paranoid maybe.

Single Carb Vision

It's going to lean over quite a bit. I'd rather have more lean than a more vertical position. Put it on the side stand and see how much you have to pull ( don't stand on the right side of the bike and push ) it to try and tip it to you. I think you'll be surprised how hard you have to pull on it. Just make sure it's on hard ground, dirt is a no, no for the side stand unless you put 6" X 6" piece of wood or an flat metal plate under the stand that won't sink into the ground. I live on a fairly steep street and still use the side stand. I just have the bike on about a forty five angle on the street with the rear tire to the curb ( the front wheel should be turned like you are going to turn left on the bike). One other thing is some bikes will flow gas into the carb while leaning and gas will start to leak from overflow so check on that especially if it's in a enclosed garage. you can use fuel shut off valve also (I actually don't remember if the Vision has a off position on the petcock). Hope this helps.

QBS

A tip: It is safely possible to use the side stand and park with the front end pointed down hill.  The secret is to leave the bike in first gear, roll the bike forward a little to remove driveline slop, put the handle bars at full left lock, and then pull the bike to the left against the side stand to extend the suspension.  Release the suspension and check for stability.

PHM

Yes I do find the lean angle a bit much, but I pulled on the machine while on the stand and it seemed stable.  Putting to much thought into it I suppose.  I appreciate the help.
Thank you...Paul

jefferson

I have seen the forked part of the side stand open up so there is play between it and the lug on the frame that it bolts to. There shouldn't be any side to side play. If there is the bike will lean over too far as you describe.

Bill

Thank goodness my side stand works OK.  In order to keep it more upright at the side of my garage I put a short piece of 2 x 4 under the business end of the side stand.  I have never been able to get the bike up on the center stand and no, I am not a 90 lb weakling.  Is there a trick to using or adjustment to the center stand that I am missing?

fret not

The standard procedure is to put your foot on the lever part of the stand and press down with your weight as you lift and pull the bike backward onto the stand.  Oterwise it is pretty difficult.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Single Carb Vision

If you are having trouble putting it on the center stand, then just stay with the side stand. Getting the bike off of the center stand is just about the same difficulty as getting it on the center stand. PLUS it will feel like the bike wants to lean away from you (mainly because you cant lean it toward you while pushing it off). I am 5" 8" and have plenty of horse power myself, and have never had the bike fall away from me BUT it always feels like it is going to until it is actually down. I only use the center stand when it is absolutely necessary. 

jefferson

I think the Visions center stand is one of the easiest ones to use I have come across. The only thing I can think of that would make it hard is if the bike was lowered.

dingleberry

Quote from: Single Carb Vision on June 01, 2015, 04:49:29 PM
If you are having trouble putting it on the center stand, then just stay with the side stand. Getting the bike off of the center stand is just about the same difficulty as getting it on the center stand. PLUS it will feel like the bike wants to lean away from you (mainly because you cant lean it toward you while pushing it off). I am 5" 8" and have plenty of horse power myself, and have never had the bike fall away from me BUT it always feels like it is going to until it is actually down. I only use the center stand when it is absolutely necessary.

In the past I lean the bikes toward me (on one leg of the centre stand) if they are a bit weird feeling from being bent for example, whilst pushing forward. Now I just remove the heavy lump of metal and associated brackets.
You like, oui?

Rikugun

Quote from: jefferson on June 01, 2015, 11:24:33 PM
I think the Visions center stand is one of the easiest ones to use I have come across. The only thing I can think of that would make it hard is if the bike was lowered.

I agree. My 82 GPz550 is slightly lighter but a bit harder to hoist up onto the center stand. I think they got the leverage about right on the XZ. My brother got an aftermarket center stand for his Triumph and you need two men and a boy to use it.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan