News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Ignition mod that may help our bikes a lot

Started by jefferson, August 12, 2015, 10:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

I went to a VJMC event this past weekend and met up with a member here that has the only running Vision in Nebraska. He has a Connie now and a nice red one at that. Got to chew the fat about various things and he put me onto a mod that he did to his connie that is easy and basically free. A connie member by the name of Steve deserves all credit for this discovery. The mod involves cutting the ground wire to the ignition box and splicing in a new wire that will go all the way to the battery ground lug so that there will be no resistance on that ground wire which results in better spark. The result of this mod on the connie is much better starting and crisper throttle response. It has been noted that bikes can be started and immediately taken off the choke and the bike idles fine and will even accept throttle. I have seen no mileage increases reported, but this would have to help in that respect also.
To check and see if this mod will help is easy with a vom. With the bike running and the lights on use one of the probes to the battery ground and the other to the ground on the ignition box. If there is any voltage there then this mod will help. It may even help in ridding the bike of the bogging issues and such. There were several connie guys that reported better charging with this mod also. Grounds are critical to the proper performance of the electrical system so clean all those grounds and make sure they are shiny. It will pay dividends in the end.

The Prophet of Doom

The vision runs a common ground wire through the loom anyway.  What's the point?

jefferson

Because the grounds build up resistance over time and then there is voltage on the ground circuit which impedes the flow of electrons and thus you have less voltage at the coils and throughout the system.

Rikugun

I'd agree grounds are important to all the electrical functions. I'd also agree all connections including grounds deteriorate over time through corrosion. The remaining fleet of Visions has reached that age where poor connections can be an issue. I don't know first hand if adding that ground will have all the benefits suggested but doubt it would hurt anything.

Have you tried this mod on your Vision and noticed any of the mentioned improvements?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

jefferson

It doesn't matter what bike it is. Electrical is electrical. None of my Visions are on the road. Any older bike will benefit and I will bet there are many newer ones that do as the Connie ran up to around 2004 I think and it helped those.
I fixed a check engine light for cat insufficiency on a 2007 Subaru Tribeca by cleaning the grounds. I still need to put a good load on it and see how much voltage flows through the vom between the battery and engine. I may need to add a ground cable to it.