News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Carb Rebuild Question

Started by The Prophet of Doom, June 29, 2015, 04:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

I'm rebuilding a set of carbs and wondering how to remove the plastic parts - specifically the white plastic overflows and the black bleed nipple on the front carb.  Ideally I'd like to be able to reinstall them when I'm done.

Any ideas? they probably won't survive 200 Deg C in my oven

Re-Vision

Take a pair of pliers and twist them out. Are you powder coating the carbs?     BDC

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Re-Vision on June 29, 2015, 06:56:16 AM
Take a pair of pliers and twist them out. Are you powder coating the carbs?     BDC
Yes, satin black
I tried twisting gently but they seem stubborn.  Are they just a press fit? I'll try harder.

Re-Vision

You also might try slipping a thin edge under the nylon and prying out six mm of brass.     BDC

fret not

That causes me to wonder what gremlins may appear after a session in the oven. :o  Good luck!
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret nut on June 30, 2015, 01:37:32 AM
That causes me to wonder what gremlins may appear after a session in the oven. :o  Good luck!

I've not seen anyone else powder coat Vision carbs before so I guess I'll find out.  I suppose all the press-fit items could drop out. Then I'll be back to plan A

fret not

Well, I hope they work better than before, and no doubt they will look keen.  Orange cam covers and black carbs is a good start.  Is there a silver color powder?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Re-Vision

They carbs look pretty good after sand blasting and there are tons of silvers.     BDC

The Prophet of Doom

They couldn't work worse worse than they did (ie not at all)  they are off one of my parts bikes and probably the dirtiest carbs I've ever seen.  They had creepie crawlies, splattered paint, seized butterflies, loads of varnish and a thick layer of black oil.

I ditched the orange cam covers.  You have to try these things, but like paint, what you get at the end is not always how it looks on a colour chart.  Going for a brushed alloy engine now, probably with black side cases.

Powder comes in unlimited colours and many textures.  Silver definitely - some very convincing chromes and some gorgeous translucents.  Take a look at prismaticpowders.com

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Re-Vision on June 29, 2015, 06:56:16 AM
That worked.  Thanks Bobby.  I couldn't get at the small black one on the front carb but pushed through with a pin punch from the inside.

The carbs are all stripped now, cleaned in the ultrasonic and masked up ready for media blasting.
Here's a before photo.

pinholenz

When I did my carbs I accidentally broke one of the nylon fittings. I repaired it again with brass tube of the right diameter and matching drill from a model shop. Works a treat.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

I'm surprised they used nylon rather than brass, they all seem to break.  Out of 6 sets of carbs I only have one intact.

I was fairly sure they would melt at oven temperatures, so happy when I found that they just pull out.  My second worry was that the sealing glue would fail, but it seems just fine.

Looking better now, but the moving hardware, springs etc are going to look pretty shabby next to them

The Prophet of Doom

I've been looking at Caswell / Eastwood electroplating kit to clean up the external carb bits before replacing them.
Has anyone used those or done a DIY version?

dingleberry

I thought you would be into the bucket and battery charger type of set up. What type of plating are you wanting to do?
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

I don't really know - there are so many options.  Something shiny to match the stainless bolts.  Bright zinc or nickel?
There's a lot of info out there but it's all very conflicting.