News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Tech' tip 101...

Started by Tiger, July 03, 2007, 06:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I put this up the other day in reply to an enquirer regarding air filter element availability, but thought that some of our newer member's could benefit from it... ;)
I can't take the credit for this "Fix", but I don't remember who posted it last time around...QBS perhaps... ???

Quote from: firstone on July 02, 2007, 06:09:20 AM
Another newbie question.  Are air filters still available for the 82 vision?

:) Yes they are. However, If you can find one they are not cheap :o ::)...Would you believe that a local Yam' dealer wanted $40.00 + tax '82 or $45.00 + tax for an '83...(or non-mod'/mod' air box).

Here is an inexpensive alternative that several of us are running with.

1 - Go to your local autoparts store/Wall Mart and buy a Fram CA3903 air filter.

2 - Next, take your old air filter and pull off the element/top off of the base part of the air filter, that sits on the air filter housing, you then chuck the element/top in the garbage ;)

3 - Clean the old air filter base plate, removing any oil/crap, etc and dry.

4 - Using a good adhesive, I use red RTV silicone, stick the Fram filter to the original, clean/dry, base plate. I left mine to cure overnight, on a flat surface with a book on top.

5 - Install into the air box, etc and your back on the road... 8)

NOTE: If you have modified air box with the Vacuum assist, all you have to do is gently bend a couple of the filter pleats...Works like a charm on my mod' air box... 8) $7 and change (Canadian) at Wall Mart for a Fram CA3903...Beats the dealer, any day ::) ;D ;D :D :D :D... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

akvision95

So... What do you do if you don't have the original one? My bike came without an air filter. 

Also came broken.

Rikugun

You have a few options. You can post in the Swap shop and maybe someone has one to sell. There are "pattern" parts like these: http://www.motorcyclepartsandspares.com/catalogue/product_info.php?products_id=1418
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/xz_550_rj_rk/82-86/picture/air_filter_hiflo/

UNI Filter sells a decent re-usable element. Ebay often has NOS or used for sale.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

akvision95

I suppose I could fashion a rim out of soft rubber hose. Don't have time to wait for one to ship to me.