Shindengen SH775 Regulator/Rectifier install and relocation

Started by vl5150, September 14, 2015, 01:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

Quote from: injuhneer on January 24, 2020, 07:58:04 AM
I have a stator from an Africa Twin on the way. There is another thread where a ROV'r (MikeScoot) installed one in a bike he is reviving.
It's not me that is using the Africa Twin stator. I ordered one for a Kawasaki but have not yet installed it (too busy sorting other engine issues).

I got mine (STATOR)  through Ebay; "Generator Stator Coil For Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 1995-1997 ZZR600 ZX600 90-05 TZ5". It looks very similar to the pic posted on the 1983 Getting 11.96 volts thread. There were quite a few on Ebay and all very reasonably priced. The ad. seemed a bit deceptive though. It appeared the part was held locally (Western Australia) but in fact it came from Hong Kong. It was, however, delivered quite quickly.

Within a day or two I will advise whether it fits.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

injuhneer

Sorry MikeScoot. Reading so many messages got my wires crossed. Do report on the Ninja stator though. :-)

As reported in the other thread the Africa Twin stator does indeed fit but only just. It is thicker than the OEM but as a result has more output.

I did wire it to the SH775 and run through tests. No grounds. About 50VAC in each phase at idle. Connected to the battery at idle getting a steady 13.6VDC. Revving to 2000 rpm produces a quick climb to ~14.7 VDC with a bit of fluctuation when lighting is operated (brake, high beam, signals).

It seems to be sorted. The stator cover now seems to get warm but on par with the rest of the engine case in that area. There isn't a huge difference in temps by touch. Next test run (on Saturday) when I am replacing the fuse panel I will get out the non-contact thermometer and record some values.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ