Euro Vision with aftermarket fairing

Started by pullshocks, October 06, 2015, 09:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

ADVRIDER.COM has a thread 'XZ550 The Bike That Never Was" that sees sporadic participation, averaging maybe 25 posts per year.  It was started by Inane Cathode, who used to participate here on ROV

Recently someone posted up pictures of a Vision with an unusual fairing starting on post #165  http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/xz550-the-bike-that-never-was.316190/page-9

admin

lots of disinformation in that thread, I found a couple of posters just being ridiculous,
so I kept my mouth shut, no point in getting into a flame war with a know it all...   heheh.

as far as that style fairing I think we have at least a couple of them in the gallery
from various members over the years.

check it out.

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=137

Ken has another unusual style fairing, you can find more about here on the board.

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=121

-R

fret not

The fairing in the second link is made by Hannigan.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Kenny

Yes !
       That's a photo of my 82 with a Hannigan SS fairing which I installed after I made my own mount hardware as Dave Hannigan did not make one for the Vision . One of the first long rides we did (my wife on her 83 Vision) was down to one of Rider Magazine's first rally's at Cody Wyoming . These fairings have storage behind the headlight as well as on both sides , I have a BMW R100rs and had a R1150rt and this little fairing was beat both of them hands down for airflow and storage.
  I still have the fairing but it is not mounted on anything at present .
                Cheers Ken S     
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

fret not

So, do you need a Vision to put it on?  Or, . . . . what are you going to do with it?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Kenny

Some how I just can't let it go , I was thinking I would install it on a XV920rh that I have. I don't have the mount hardware for the vision any more. I had parts of a mount from a Vetter Windstar that was made for the vision and I fabricated the rest of the mount.
       Funny every time I look at that picture I think of a fantastic ride I had with a fella on a GS 1000 on the Going to the Sun Road in Montana in 84.
      Cheers Kenny 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Hugh

I had the Hannigan ST (bigger version) on a Suzuki GS850 and I agree, it is one of the best fairings ever produced.  My gas mileage actually increased.  And just like Kenny, I still have that fairing thinking that someday I will mount it on another bike.

jefferson

Hey Kenny,

I took a picture of a Vision with a Hannigan fairing at Brainerd for one of the WSB races. Just wondering if you made it down there and maybe it was your bike I took a picture of. I would have to really dig to find it. I think I even wrote about it in one of the newsletters.

Kenny

Hi,
    I did not make it to Brainerd , we did go to Windsor Ont. in 84 - my wife was on a Virago 500 which she loved to ride but it had a small tank so I would fill once to her twice. I remember having to wash the fins off about 4 times going through  Saskatchewan as the Grasshoppers were very thick on the road. That trip we stopped in Winnipeg and guess what - the stator failed ! I believe I put three stators in that 82 in 78K klms . I wish I would of known about soldering connections & using synthetic oil. I just put my first stator in our 83 after 110K klms.
    We moved from Ont. to B.C. in 2014 and our new place is off grid and we have been heating with wood, as we are in the Selkirk Mnts.
  our sunshine is limited in Jan. & Feb. so not much charging for the solar panels. Anyways were I was going with this is I took my first ride on the 83 last week and it felt like I was starting over again !  We have been to busy building a shop and cutting wood & now we are working on a gravity feed spring water system, I would like to say "Pelton Wheel" but I am not sure how much volume/ pressure we will have. 
   I do remember reading your article in the newsletter at one time. I should find my correspondence with Yamaha from 83 when I bought the 82 which I put the Hannigan on , it had a few issues one being a water pump seal and the Stumble, I ended up installing 83 carbs along with an 83 tank which I had refurbished and that seemed to end the Stumble .
       Cheers Kenny

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92