Lucky's Valve Shim Tool drawing

Started by pinholenz, October 26, 2015, 05:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

Trawling through old posts, it appears that Lucky had a drawing for a valve shim tool in his "art" section. Most of his old pages can't be accessed any more. By chance, did anyone download and save his drawing and measurements? This would have been from about 2012.
Thanks.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

devotee

devotee
XZ550RK
XS750E
GL1000 (1976) project

cvincer

Don't know where I got the attached photo from (Aug 2012), but it seems to show the tool  made from a 22mm wrench.

pinholenz

Many thanks for sourcing Lucky's drawing.

At this point I am thinking that making the shim tool from 3 sheets of stainless steel that have been water cut to the three profiles and spot welded together might do the trick. Shouldn't be too hard once some CAD drawings are made for the cutter.

The Prophet of Doom

My next door neighbour works for a precision engineering shop.  They do lots of CNC.  I've given him my shim tool and asked for a price for a dozen.

Watch this space.

Lucky

Sorry about my links, xz550.com I let go last year, presumably available (I haven't looked)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

fret not

Wow!  Welcome back to our sleepy little world.  How is Kenny doing at school?

Hopefully Spring should be a tonic for more activity.  It's spring about now in Australia, so maybe those fellows will have more to show off, but our Spring isn't for another 4 or 5 months since we are slipping into cold weather now.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Hi Lucky, welcome back. 
You'll be glad to know you still have the spot for #1 poster on RoV

pinholenz

Lucky, your contributions have been preserved forever - well, at least until the end of the internet as we know it...

I have found snapshots of XZ550.com on the waybackwhen machine. - the Internet archive.

Your original drawings are preserved here.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130603100928/http://www.xz550.com/art.html

Thanks

Lucky

Lol, thanks guys. Doubt I'll be spending any time here though, sorry.
Fret, Kenny's doing well, off from school for a bit. Its just starting winter here too, but in this part of fla its almost too hot to ride in the summer, much nicer in the winter, really doesn't get below 35-40f.
P.o.D.,  that only meant I had no life haha.
Pin, I knew most of the stuff from my site had been saved elsewhere. I hope Ron saved Leathers site, if not I should have it on my old PC.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on November 10, 2015, 10:19:24 PM
My next door neighbour works for a precision engineering shop.  They do lots of CNC.  I've given him my shim tool and asked for a price for a dozen.

Watch this space.
Because of the funny dimension that doesn't match up with any stock dimensions it has to be surface planed, then laser cut, then CNC milled.  Unfortunately I asked for a quote for 10 and 20, but got one for 200 and the wrong width (unplaned) because they got the apprentice doing it and he didn't read the job sheet. Even at mate's rates (basically at their cost price) it works out at $20 each , but I haven't got 4k to put into it - I'd never sell 200.I't's had to go back for a 10 quote which is really slow - this is their busy period.  Also I'm 2 hours away so don't see him often

fret not

Possibly it would be less expensive to have the machine shop alter some 22 mm wrenches to suit.  Just a thought.  still, it will be difficult to get a shop to do anything for less than $20.  The price comes down when production starts, and that means lots of parts.

The idea of laminating the pieces from plate or sheet material seems a good possibility too. 

3D laser sintering metal powder is another possibility,  . . . . but who has one of those machines?

The Prophet of Doom

I looked at the laminating idea, but again, the part doesn't fit nicely into stock plate thicknesses so would need to be planed.  :-(

I was astounded when the genuine part cost me about $90 from Yamaha.  Now I can see why.

dingleberry

There's hardly anything that can't be sorted with a big hammer, cold chisel, angle grinder and an even bigger hammer. Maybe this could be a job I should stay away from?
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

You would do better with your hammers and cold chisel.  Now they tell me they are booked out for 3-4 months and can't do it.  And they still have my original  >:(

pinholenz

I want to return to the idea of laminating 3 thicknessed pieces of steel together to make up a Valve Tool. A local firm has done some water cutting of steel stock for me recently and I was impressed by the results.

I'd be grateful if someone would photograph their Yamaha or K&L valve tool for me. I need a well lit close-up photograph on a white background. The photograph needs to be taken at right angles from the face so that the final image looks like a flat "J"

I will then import the photo into Sketch-up, scale it to the dimensions on Lucky's drawings and have a go at getting it water-cut. Thanks. Happy to share the results with others.

Rikugun

I have these "stock" photos on hand until someone can get you more closely what you need. Or maybe they'll suffice?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

Many thanks.

Actually these are pretty close - perfect lighting and so on.

The ideal will be a shot taken directly above the tool so that there are no side faces showing. Or, it might be easier to Blu Tack the tool on to a flat wall and photograph it with the camera parallel to the wall.

Another way would be to simply scan the tool in a scanner and output the cropped image as a jpeg.

Given the limitations on lenses no reproduction will be perfect unless someone has spent more on their camera kits/scanners than on their motorbikes. However, Lucky has given detailed basic dimensions (albeit in inches!) and with the dimensions from others as well, I can get it properly scaled. The photographic overlay will enable me to accurately match the curves on the cam faces.

Rikugun

I understand your need for no side faces. I can see some in my pic with some being quite clear and some hidden in the shadow. If I were to have moved the camera to eliminate those that show, almost assuredly I would begin to unveil side faces elsewhere.  It appears the camera's eye has a field of view larger than the part.  ;)

I can look for the tool tomorrow and try scanning it to see what it looks like.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

You need a telephoto lens and take the pic from a distance.  The more distance between the camera and the object the more it minimizes the side surfaces.