News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

BDS-34 Mikuni as possible alternative?

Started by devotee, September 28, 2015, 05:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devotee

OK, not the same thing but the 1983 Venture (1200 cc) used 4 BDS Mikuni Carbs. They appear to have larger body, but might match the C/L to C/L distancce, I wondered if this forum has kicked this one around?
devotee
XZ550RK
XS750E
GL1000 (1976) project

jefferson

I have a friend that put half a set on his Vision. He never did get the things to run right, but it sounds like he may have some electrical issues that complicated things. He is back to the stock carbs and trying to find out why it runs on one cylinder intermittently.
If I remember right it wasn't too hard to do, but of course he rewinds his own stators. I know at one time to get it to run right he had to take discs out of the Supertrapp. I can check in with him and see if I can find out particulars.

The Prophet of Doom

I thought the BDS was a sidedraught carb?  If so, that's going to take a bit of fab work to squeeze in.

devotee

BD-34 Mikuni II on my XS-750E is sidedraft.

The Venture is about 1200 cc and uses (4) BDS-34 Mikuni Carburetors. They are downdraft with the float bowl on the side. It might be close, I hope jefferson's friend can add something about fitment.

This venture discussion has a section view about 1/2 way down.
http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?20950-What-gas-mileage-do-you-get/page6
devotee
XZ550RK
XS750E
GL1000 (1976) project

jefferson

Paid a visit to Wes today and actually get to see his work. The carb spacing on the Vision is actually wider than the Max carbs. It was pretty easy to get this spacing by removing the screws from the bracket on the rear carb and putting one screw in the outer hole of the bracket and the inner hole of the carb. He then made a plate for the other side out of some aluminum plate to hold that side. To take up the space at the throttle junction he used some aluminum rod and made one end flat to go into the sync screw portion of the front carb and drilled a hole to go over the shaft of the rear carb. It is held tight with a set screw. For the choke he fashioned a rod that is held tight with a set screw on the shaft. It does not lock into position so you have to hold it. He did say it started so much easier with the Max carbs and the choke didn't need to held for any real time at all.
This would be much easier with pods on and I think he may have used them for a while, but he really wanted to use the airbag which caused quite a bit more work. The bottom of the stk airbag needs to be cut out and then covered with a plate with holes cut at the proper distance for the Vmax velocity stacks which he said were a lot longer than the Visions. The throttle cable needs to have a 90 degree elbow put on it as it comes in from the top. This causes interference with the airbox and the box needs to have a clearance slot cut out and sealed. He showed me where he ran the vent tubes which was right up by the air intake. I told him that may have been part of his jetting problem as the vents need to run down to the stock location due to the high pressure under the fuel tank.
Wes is very handy and intelligent. He told me today that he can't find an emulsion tube for the stock 82 carb and he was going to make one. I told him there has to be someone on the forum that has spare parts so if anyone has a spare emulsion tube, please let me know. I think he really wants to see if he can do it.  I gave my only 82 carb to a guy years ago or I would have had one.

Re-Vision