Potential Visionary Project

Started by Re-Vision, November 26, 2015, 06:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

I am prepared to provide service manual, frame w/title, engine, wheels, etc to whomever is willing to pay shipping from the Fort Worth, Texas  area. Other requirements will be to convince us other Visionaries that you have the ability to start and finish this project as well as keeping Riders of Vision.net posted as to progress by providing pictures and commentary on a regular basis. The basic project will require assembly of major components and probable overhaul of hydraulic brake systems, updating tires, possible fuel tank problems. I would encourage other Visionaries to participate in this project because I can supply all necessary parts, but they may not be the best looking items available. All entries by persons should be in by 1 Jan 2016. We can work out details of handling this project if there is sufficient interest shown in this project by individuals.      BDC

fret not

Bobby, you mean like a group effort?  A group project, or for an individual? 

I participated in a group effort in the restoration of an old Gibson mandolin several years ago, and it went fairly smoothly for the most part, though shipping from one person to the next became a bit expensive, but for a motorcycle would be out of the question.   Each 'participant' was assigned a specific area of responsibility, and when their part was completed it was shipped to the next person for their contribution in the process, and so on until it was completed.  Upon completion it was auctioned off to benefit the website that started it all. (mandolincafe.com)

For a motorcycle this would be too expensive to ship it around from place to place.  Rather I think one person would take control of most of the work and house the bike, and other folks could go there to help, or if not too far away could transport it in a pickup, van, or trailer to facilitate some specific process.  This would require enough interested parties living within a reasonable distance of each other, or one diligent and committed person.

Or maybe you could explain what you really have in mind with this and I will quit speculating. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

That's a very generous offer Bobby.  Even in USA where you seem to trip over low km visions on every other street corner they are still worth something decent in any condition.  I'd be in if I was a bit closer but over $3K to ship to Kiwiland (over 60% of that taxes) - well out of my price bracket.

I've been thinking for a while now that I'd like to do a 100% restore to factory.  I'd like to see an XZ in a bike museum.  Preferably Barber or Leno's of course. So if someone takes this on seriously, I'll chip in some re-furbished pieces.

Re-Vision

I've left the details off because I don't know what would be the best way to go. Option 1- An individual could finish the bike assembly for his own usage. Option 2- Someone could assemble the bike for resale for the benefit of ROV.net. Option 3- A group effort to build a museum grade Vision that could be placed in Barber's or some other appropriate display facility. I think I would prefer Option-3 but I want to hear the thoughts of the rest of our Visionaries.      BDC

vintage bikeworks

Like the idea.  Especially option 3, the museum piece.  I would like to contribute parts/efforts or help in some capacity.  Pictures attached of last restoration, later sold to a collector.  Have a full faired '82 now. Will watch this post for developments...? 
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision
2002 Yamaha FZ1
1978 Honda CB400TII Hawk
2018 Yamaha FJR1300

The Prophet of Doom

Re-Vision

It's not perfect, found a scratch on the end of the front brake lever.
Beautiful!        BDC

vintage bikeworks

Quote from: Re-Vision on December 04, 2015, 08:33:32 PM
It's not perfect, found a scratch on the end of the front brake lever.
Beautiful!        BDC

Thanks..and good eye!  Wish I had kept this one.  Prefer this sport fairing model, since it shows off Yamaha's engine.  New owner could not believe how smooth it ran. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision
2002 Yamaha FZ1
1978 Honda CB400TII Hawk
2018 Yamaha FJR1300

Re-Vision

Does anyone have any idea what it takes to get a bike into Barbers or Lenos?      BDC

fret not

It would have to be interesting, and be a good example.

I have looked at some pics of the Barber Motorsports Museum, and there are some rather mundane models as well as the most very rare.  So, I sent them an e-mail asking if they are open to something like this.  No harm in asking I guess.

fret not

So, I got a reply from the nice barber folks.:

Good morning,

Thank you for your interest in the Barber Museum. We gladly take donations and we are a 501(c)3 so you will be able to use your donation on your taxes.

It looks like we have 1 Yamaha XZ550. It is a 1982 XZ550 Vision and on our museum floor. When you donate a bike, it is not a guarantee that we will be able to display it right away. We have over 1400 bikes in our collection with only 750 on display. We are in the process of building an expansion to the museum so we can display more. Not all bikes that are donated make it to the museum floor.

If you are still interested in donating your bike, please let me know and we can start the process.

Thank you,
Sunny Chance Crew
Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
6030 Barber Motorsports Parkway
Birmingham, AL 35094
Direct: (205) 702-8709
Fax: (205) 702-8700
sunny@barbermuseum.org
www.barbermuseum.org

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2015 3:10 AM
To: Sunny Chance
Subject: How to put a motorcycle into the museum

Hello folks,
I am curious if it is possible, likely, or not possible to submit a bike to the museum.  I am a member of ROV (Riders of Vision) website dedicated to the Yamaha XZ550, and one of our members is asking this question, as he has a few examples and is thinking of fixing one up nicely to offer to the museum.

I see no list of the bikes in the museum, so I can only guess that you already have at least one Yamaha XZ550.  Box stock or custom?

Thanks for reading this,
Mike Lewis

Re-Vision

The question is "how to get an 82 or 83 Vision that's in pieces to the museum floor while looking like a new Yamaha Vision"? We're going to need all the help we can find if we try to pull this off.         BDC   

fret not

The longest journey begins with a single step.  First thing might be a plan of action, an overall  "road map" of where this is going and what needs to be done, and then figure out how to accomplish each step or phase along the way.  This ain't rocket science, but it can become pretty hard if not done properly.

vintage bikeworks

No mention if the '82 was the basic model, the sport fairing or the full fairing?  I guess the question is, do we still want to pursue if they already have one on display?  Maybe yes... An '83 (or later) or another '82 in different trim?  One could be built in different trim/color to compliment the one already on display?  Yes, logistically this will be difficult.  Difficult but doable.  On the plus side, I think there is a wealth of talent among the ROV group.  Members with fabricating, painting, machining, etc...skills.  ...Or at least connections to have the same done by someone willing to donate their specific talent?  Thoughts?

btw...Thanks for inquiring to Barber fret nut.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision
2002 Yamaha FZ1
1978 Honda CB400TII Hawk
2018 Yamaha FJR1300

Re-Vision

Renewal of invitation to accomplish one of these suggested projects.

Quote from: Re-Vision on November 26, 2015, 06:40:38 PM
I am prepared to provide service manual, frame w/title, engine, wheels, etc to whomever is willing to pay shipping from the Fort Worth, Texas  area. Other requirements will be to convince us other Visionaries that you have the ability to start and finish this project as well as keeping Riders of Vision.net posted as to progress by providing pictures and commentary on a regular basis. The basic project will require assembly of major components and probable overhaul of hydraulic brake systems, updating tires, possible fuel tank problems. I would encourage other Visionaries to participate in this project because I can supply all necessary parts, but they may not be the best looking items available. All entries by persons should be in by 1 Jan 2016. We can work out details of handling this project if there is sufficient interest shown in this project by individuals.      BDC

Would like to encourage anyone who thinks they might qualify to assemble the above listed bike. No decision will be made until Jan 2016 as to whom and what goal to reach for. We can then put it to a poll voted on by ROV'ers. Though I personally would like to see a bike in a museum, I would also like to see someone riding and enjoying this bike that has brought me much pleasure. Please feel free to come forward if you think you would enjoy doing this project.     BDC

fret not

Barber museum is Birmingham in Alabama.  Who lives closest to there?  Or has access to shipping at low cost?

Another point is what condition is the Vision thy have now?  I mean, is it box stock or a custom?  What color?

fret not

I just got a reply from Brian Slark of the museum, saying the vision they have is in a "very used" condition and not suitable for display.  So it looks like a clean box stock bike would be the easiest to accomplish.

fret not

Another reply from Brian Slark:

Mike, A clean box stock is always preferable, so people can come here and take photographs to aid in getting their bike correct.

Re-Vision

Last chance!

Quote from: Re-Vision on November 26, 2015, 06:40:38 PM

Well, I thought we might have a few more showing interest in building up a Vision. Today is the last day for anyone desiring to put their name in the hat. Unless we get more responses it looks as though we'll be trying to put a bike in Barbers' Museum.     BDC

fret not

Bobby, it seems this time of year is rather quiet in the motorcycle world, at least in the northern hemisphere.  I went to town today to extend my cell phone service, and the strip of "lawn" just outside the store front was white with frost.  This was about 11:00am.  And while walking the dog this afternoon around 4:00 I found the ground was mostly damp and soft but there are yet some areas of crunchy frozen. It will all be hared and crunchy in the morning.   Not much MC activity in this climate and certainly not enough snow accumulation at this elevation for snowmobiles.

I realize this is 'theoretically' a best time of year to work on bikes because it's too cold to ride them, but it seems unless you have a heated workshop it is too cold to work on them.

I think that if this project happens it will be a bit longer term than originally imagined, Which might not be a bad thing.  It takes time to get some things done correctly, and better correct than soon.