News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

1983 accelerator pump check ball valve

Started by R90S, February 12, 2016, 07:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R90S

I've had this '83 xz550 for a while and am currently working on the carbs to get her going. My issue was no fuel reaching the accelerator pump. I had the carbs disassembled and ran everything through an ultrasonic cleaner. After reassembly, I tried the accelerator pump following the instructions in the Haynes manual and had nothing. Searched ROV site and a few posts pointed me to the accelerator pump check ball valve. I tried many things to free it, brake clean, wd40, more ultrasonic, heat, dental pick, and lots of air pressure to no avail. Taking advice from Lucky, I ended up drilling out the plug atop the ball valve and extracting with a turned in screw (picture). The damaged brass spring came out but the ball remained stuck. I repeated some of the above and after more time in the ultrasonic, a blast of air pressure popped the ball out. It was really gummed up. More time in the ultrasonic cleaner and careful scraping with a very small screwdriver finally cleaned up the check ball seat and bore.

I will need to source a fine brass spring and re-plug the top now. I may solder and reuse the ball (JB weld?). Anyway, I'm now confident fuel will flow! I would like to thank the authors of some posts that lead me in the right direction. The pictures taken will hopefully assist someone with the same issue in the future.

Regards  Mike

cvincer

Grip the accelerator jet  (indicated by red line)  with vice grips,  twist left/right  & lift at the same time  ..... underneath you

will find the check ball.

R90S

Yes, there is a little weight with a check ball under the nozzle as well.

Re-Vision

Quote from: R90S on February 12, 2016, 07:29:27 PM
  I will need to source a fine brass spring and re-plug the top now. I may solder and reuse the ball (JB weld?). Anyway, I'm now confident fuel will flow! I would like to thank the authors of some posts that lead me in the right direction. The pictures taken will hopefully assist someone with the same issue in the future.

Regards  Mike

I suppose you could drill out an 82 carb and see if they are the same as the 83.
If you can get exact measurements on your 83 parts (diameter of ball and spring as well as length and gasket dimensions), I will see if I have any in my parts box or I can attempt to disassemble an 82.         BDC

R90S

Thanks for the offer Re-vision.  The original was a mess but I did some measuring and determined a 3-4mm diameter spring about 8mm long should do. Most importantly is that the spring is not too stiff to restrict fuel uptake when the accelerator pump asks for it.  I have sourced a few candidates here that should work.   Mike

R90S

Well, accelerator pump works now and delivers a nice stream of fuel in the correct area on both carbs.  I ended up using the original brass spring after massaging it back in shape. I soldered the old plug and tapped it back into the bore. It does not seal perfectly but I'm ok with the result.  The previous owner(s) soldered the stator wires, added a volt meter and put a jumper wire connecting the red/white wires together bypassing the starting circuit relay. I added a manual fan switch and will also add a manual headlight switch and replace the fuse box when time permits. The float levels were lowered per instructions here. I'll also do away with the kick stand switch and any other lawyer driven safety devices.  Dielectric grease was used on all connectors. 

I started it and it only ran on the rear cylinder, not even a sputter from the front. Pulled the front plug wire and there was a good spark, so pulled the plug...it was new!...brand new...with NO GAP! So unbelievable I took a picture of it. Previous owner said he'd been taking it to the dealer so go figure. I gapped and put the plug back and it now seems to run quite well.  So far so good.