News:

Main Menu

Blake's build thread

Started by Blake, February 17, 2016, 12:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

I'll just resign myself to having to make frame, tank, and probably steering stop modifications.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret nut on March 12, 2016, 05:07:59 PM
I'll just resign myself to having to make frame, tank, and probably steering stop modifications.
Yup, there's no doubt that the Cognito Moto, Classified Moto bikes look WAY better with USD forks, and worth the effort if the authorities will allow.

Bizzare that I can make a new tank out of old ziplock bags and papier mache - no worries, but use the forks off a modern sports bike and I'm in for a world of headache.  That's life living in a semi communist state that hates motorcycles I suppose.

Blake

Just got a few update pictures from my friend who's doing the work on the triple tree.

He stated from his measurements, it's 0.619" longer.  Should be pretty much perfect. I'm working all weekend, but hopefully next Tues or Wednesday when I'm off I'll test fit then weld it up.

"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

fret not

I am guessing you have a piece of tubing on the inside to support the new added bit in the middle.  Very interesting. 8)

Blake

Quote from: fret nut on March 21, 2016, 11:55:50 PM
I am guessing you have a piece of tubing on the inside to support the new added bit in the middle.  Very interesting. 8)

Correct.  I was told its a "light" press fit, just in case the length is off when i test fit it, we can pull it apart and put in a different spacer.    I haven't tig welded aluminum in almost a year, so i'm going to need to practice a bit before attacking this.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

fret not

Good luck with that welding.  I hadn't realized the stem is aluminum.  I think all I have ever seen are steel. 

Blake

Well, it took forever and a day, but I finally got the front end somewhat together.   Started the search for a new job so this got put off for a bit.  Anyway, I was able to weld up the stem, press on new bearings, a friend hooked me up with 6 piston tlr1000 calipers so i don't have to modify the mounts, and mounted some tires I had for another project.  Not too sure about these tires, but they'll work now for clearance checks, since they're about as big as it'll ever be.  I like the look, but I know they're going to ride like crap. 

Still need to do:  weld new steering stops, cut axle spacers, find a 320mm brake rotor that fits out bolt pattern (stock tlr1000 is 320mm.. so it would be easier to mount if i can stay that size).  Oh, i need to make a new bearing spacer for between the wheel bearings.  i cut it just a tad too short.

fret not

It's nice to see progress on your bike.  I wish there was some progress on MY bike.  (Hmmmmm, I could do something about that maybe)

Blake

Snapped a couple other pictures as I was cleaning up at dad's house today (I moved the bike over there since all my "big" tools (press, tire changer, welders, etc) are over there.

Brake calipers a friend donated:

Also this weekend I cut up the blanks for the new intake "boots"/ manifolds / whatever you want to call them. 

And here is my test piece, and hopefully be my "master" example.   The bolt holes are correct, the center part is traced out, but you can ignore the dimple locations.  At this point, I'm going to try and make it a direct replacement for our rubber boots and just modify a set for my EFI conversion.  So you can bolt this onto the engine, then with a silicone coupler, clamp the stock carbs or throttle bodies to these.  The decision I'm stuck at is whether to drill the oval section straight into the block, and cut the connecting tube at an angle (I BELIEVE it's 20 degrees, but I need to quadruple check), or to cut the oval into the block at the 20 degree angle and have the connecting tubes straight.  I'll have to do a lot more measuring, and be a lot more accurate to find out which is easier to produce.  I'll probably try both and just sacrifice a couple blocks in the process.  Whatever makes my life easier (what what lines up with the stock carbs easiest) is what i'll go with.

fret not

If I understand correctly, you are building up solid blocks of metal and then carving them to shape?

I would think it easier to make a 'pattern' part of some softer material and make a sand casting.  I guess there are no "easy" answers, besides, who has their own foundry?

Blake

Quote from: fret nut on May 11, 2016, 01:05:05 AM
If I understand correctly, you are building up solid blocks of metal and then carving them to shape?

The blocks I have cut out are just the "base".  I have tubing that is right around 36mm id. I think it's 1-1/4" sch 10 aluminum pipe, but I'll have to check. I'll cut the tubing into pieces at about 2" or so, and using my press, I'll press one side of it into an oval that will fit into or on to this base, and I'll weld them together.  That was the simplest way i could think of to make the transition from the oval intake port to a circle for the carbs.   Essentially I'm trying to reproduce the oem intake boot's function in aluminum.

Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the tubing.  I didn't get around to cutting or forming it yet since I got caught up in deciding what to do with the base plate section.

EDIT:  Essentially something like this:

fret not

Like so many things, somebody that knows what they are doing make it look easy.  You da Man!

Blake

Alright....bumping this so i can easily find it this weekend.   Finally a new (normal schedule..aka no longer a cop) job!    I sold my last (well..last active) project car today, and have been slowly stock-piling parts the past couple months to finish this vision this summer.   The bike is parked at my parents house still.  I'm heading there on Friday for the weekend to assess where everything stands. 

list of things i can remember purchasing:

master cylinder from a late model Tv1000 (for the tl1000 calipers)
a big ole' 4'x8' sheet of 18 gauge steel (to finish up the gas tank
stainless-looking coolant overflow tank
new clutch perch/lever
clutch reducer (Whatever that moose racing effort-reducer thing is.  i found a chinese knockoff. we'll see how good it is)
a lot of aluminum to attempt my intake manifold again.
A metric dial caliper (you wouldn't realize how hard it is to find a used one of these in the US(
Finally was able to obtain autocad / bought a computer that can handle it.  For figuring out the aluinum carb boot conversion
some various wire connects, bungs etc.

I recently took the stator cover off my spare motor. I found a machine shop nearby that'll do small work.  I'm going to have them weld up the stock stator/ignition wire passthroughs and machine it flat.  I'm tired of the oil leaks.  Wires will be passed through the back/near the top with quality wire-glands.

AND, I found my digital camera, so i can start snapping photos again.  Much more time efficient than having to whip out the phone every time.  ;D

QBS

Good to see you are back at it again.  I look forward to a situational update.

Ron_McCoy

Blake, I don't know if this really applies because your throttle bodies are more compact than carbs and it looks like you are mounting them low, but it can save a lot of rework to fit them and build linkage with the engine in the frame. Space is at a premium in the V with the frame tubes crowding the area. Best of luck. We're all watching your project with a lot of hope.