Wanted Flywheel

Started by skaalster, March 01, 2016, 11:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaalster

Good day all, looking for a usable Flywheel/starter clutch combo if possible for a 82 Vision that I picked up here in the local Victoria area.
Bike has 95k!! (wow) on the clock and was sitting unused since '97....now I know why... after rebuilding the dead starter motor, master cylinder and a complete clean rebuild of the carbs and including the electrical wiring I was confident Id be able to get her up and running.  Alas the infamous starter clutch completely failed "just" as she flashed up for the first time...sigh, oh sooo close lol. On closer inspection It looks to be an original part with original peening of the three bolts...is that even possible with 95k?! (Like many of you have experienced, all three had snapped off behind the flywheel and completely destroyed all the internal threads rendering it totally unservicable...but from the outside it looked completely normal)
Ive seen a few on ebay for big $$$ but thought id check in with ROV to see what anyone might have. With it having high-ish mileage and currently owning another collector plated '83, Id really just like to get her up and running, maybe use as a daily driver without spending huge amounts of money on her...(I know thats a bit of a pipe dream lol)

Thanks in advance
-Dan

cvincer

If you can't get a flywheel/starter clutch combo:-

1)  The starter clutch is used by a few different bikes (search our archives) or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291488890921?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2)  Your local machine shop can drill & tap fresh holes in the flywheel ......... sit the starter clutch in the flywheel, rotate it a bit,

drill/tap fresh holes.

skaalster

Well, after a long evening, just got the bike up and running (she has a crazy high oscillating idle but at least she's running, i'll work on that tomorrow!)  I just used the holes in the flywheel  that were meant for the gear puller bolts..same thread/size spacing, and then just drilled out the old elongated holes and used a M9 tap...should work just fine if I need to pull the flywheel again.
Problem solved, and thanks for the advice :-)

fret not

High oscillating idle could be air leaks in the intake tract.  Check the manifold boots the carbs plug in to, as they often become severely cracked.  Also the YICS system can leak.

You're close, don't let up.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

skaalster

I think the boots are most likely the culprit...I separated and rebuilt/sealed the YICS box and it tested leak free, installed all new fuel and vacuum lines. I guess because of the high KM's on the bike the shaft seals on the butterfly valves could be bad and sucking air...hopefully not. The one thing I did not do is pay a huge amount of attention to the boots..I did have a quick look and they "looked"  ok....I guess thats what you get when you 'Assume" lol.

Must say Im thoroughly enjoying working on this bike...my 83" had been pretty much trouble free for so long that I had not done much wrench turning or tweaking in the carb area since I bought her...great to get back into the mindset. Reminds me why I love these bikes :-)

Thanks again for the advice!

Dan