News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Looking to take my Vision out of storage - Looking for some guidance

Started by red66tempest, April 24, 2016, 11:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedBaron

Quote from: gsvision on May 08, 2016, 01:02:47 AM
Hi Fellas,
I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Tod from San Francisco, hence the GS (golden State) as my handle.
I picked up a '82 xz runner a couple months ago and had to have the fix a leaking tank. Now I'm going through the usual maintenance. Fluids, cables, new tires ect. The bike was sitting for nearly twenty years in dry storage with 9000 old miles on it. I'm finding the rubber hoses and intake manifolds are dry and cracking. I'm hoping new vacuum hoses and a rebuild will sort out the stumble. I'm also hoping I don't need to source a thermostat.
Any way I guess red66tempest and I are on the same page, so to speak. Good luck red and thanks all of you for being here, as Rov seams to be the place to be.
Wish me luck as I'm hoping to ride down to the Quail Gathering next week.   

I obtained a shiney brand new old stock tank from the German Ebay. Europe has (had maybe) unused tanks and body panels and fenders gathering dust in some attic or back room in a warehouse. Treasure for the XZ enthusiast.

...MATTER OF FACT, a quick check found this beautiful new silver tank, get the matching side panels. I bought from the DE Ebay and from Italy without an issue.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Yamaha-Kraftstofftank-silber-XZ550-Benzintank-Fuel-Tank-NOS-/351644469839?hash=item51dfa4ca4f:g:z-YAAOSwXshWsHfL

Yes, I never for the life of me figured out why so much time and energy was forever spent patching and sealing old tanks when new ones are still available. Same for exhaust. I wasted so much money on old used Ebay exhausts before finding a new one still for sale in Italy. If you are serious about the XZ then get serious. 
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!