News:

Main Menu

Weber IDF 40

Started by dgr8one85, April 26, 2016, 10:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgr8one85

This is the drawing I've made in regards to mating my weber to the existing rubber boots.  I'll post more pics once the fabrication process begins.  Being that metric diameter measured metal tubing is hard to come by, and I'm on a budget, the OD of the boots is close to 1-3/4".  A piece of this was sourced from my local auto parts store.  More to come...

dgr8one85

Here is some pics of constructions and semi mock-up

fret not

From the pic it looks like you have a bit more material available, so I suggest you cut new pieces and bisect the angle so they mate up without such a big step.  If you cut both pieces with half of the angle your currently angled piece has they should fit much better and provide a smoother intake passage.

I realize not everyone has the facility to weld aluminum but thick wall aluminum tube and plate would provide significantly more 'room' to smooth the intake passage.

It's good to see someone actually making steps forward toward fitting a Weber.  We're all pullin' for you, so Good Luck.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

dgr8one85

I was a bit worried about the steep angle also.  My biggest concern was overall height of the manifold and fitting in the fuel tank tunnel.  I also plan on fitting a filter with this setup.  If I have ample room, I will build a new manifold with a less aggressive angle.  If it works well as is, I'll let you know.  I'm essentially have been limited to building this with an angle grinder, a drill and some hole saws, and a small 110 Lincoln flux cored welder.  I am by no means an experienced fabricator and am for the most part diving right into this, but it's been fun so far :-)

dgr8one85

Finally got a few hours to pickup where I left off.  This is my mockup of the new carb and manifold.  Just tac welds for now.  Gonna finish everything up, grind down and smoth all the joints with JB weld, then prime and paint.  Still trying to figure out if I can use the old fuel pump or not, along with fashioning the throttle linkage.

QBS

I know this is a bit late in the game.  While studying your latest progress pictures I was struck by the degree of angularity between the carb throats and the intake boots.  I won't go into why I think this could hurt drivability and power production.  Let's just say that a straighter path is always a desirable thing where high speed fuel air mixture flow is concerned.  I don't know the feasibility of this, but do you think this angularity could be reduced if the carb boots were changed out front to rear or rotated 180 degrees in their stock location, or a combination of those ideas?  I realize that if these thoughts turn out to create a straighter flow path you would have to create a different intake manifold design, but it might be worth it.  Then, of course, there is always the possibility that you have already investigated these ideas and found them to be problematic in which case I apologize for being a "Monday morning quarterback".

fret not

So, here it is more than two months after the last post . . . . . . . . so how is the Weber conversion working?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!