News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Weber IDF 40

Started by dgr8one85, April 26, 2016, 10:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgr8one85

I'm on my last leg with the stock 82 carb.  So far I have had to run through 3 parts carbs to assemble one complete usable carb for my 82'.  I have currently ultrasonic cleaned, blown out every orifice and passage on the carb, complete gasket, jet, and bowl float needle rebuild from the kit I posted earlier, new hoses, new fly shaft seals, and inline magnetic fuel filter.  If this doesn't solve my carb issue, I'm going to ditch it completely for a Weber IDF 40.  They seem to be easier to source and widely used.  I know some have ran them on their visions before, but I haven't found any detailed information in regards to how they built their manifold.  The few posts I have found on this subject seemed to warrant very positive results.  I have a decent idea on how to build the "manifold".  If I do go this route, I will be sure to post my build and methods, and posting in the "for sale" section a nice rebuilt 82' carb for cheap lol.

The Prophet of Doom

I've got Glyn's manifold in my cupboard.  I can take pics if you need them.

fret not

Post them here please. :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

dgr8one85

i would greatly appreciate any info.  Thanks!

The Prophet of Doom

fret not

Walt_M.

Well, due to probably having my 83 carbs ruined by ethanol. It's a long story but the short version is the ethanol dissolved the redcoat tank liner and it is now lining the carbs. Anyway, I have a set of flat slide CV Mikunis from an FZR600 that I am going to try. They are 32mm but I think they will flow as well as the stockers. I also will be using an electric fuel pump from a carbureted R1. I doubt I will get photos as I am photo challenged but I will describe my admittedly slow progress, probably start another post.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Walt, sounds like a new thread for your project is a good idea. I'd be eager to read about your project. I must say though.....pictures please!  :D If you are "photo challenged" find someone who isn't and have them upload a few pics.

If I'm not mistaken, those FZR carbs are mounted as down drafts in their OEM configuration?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

Yes they are downdrafts. I did some work with them yesterday trying to get the spacing right and I am encouraged. I expect to have jetting issues but I think it is doable.
Whale oil beef hooked!

dgr8one85

So I'm also looking for feedback on anyone that has ran these carbs before. Is it an upgrade or simple a way to get their XZ running?  I've only read maybe one post o  actual results on running this carb.  Anyone have jet/venturi info?

fret not

Walt, I hope these carbs work out well.  I have been disappointed by the term 'downdraft' as applied to some modern motorcycle carbs.  So far the Yamaha V4 motors (VMax, Venture) use real downdraft carbs, but most others only angle down slightly and are not true downdraft, more like side draft with a bit of angle.  The potential problem I see is getting the float level right and getting the carbs to work.  I have had problems with mounting carbs at more angle than they were designed for.  In the 60s we could get DelLorto carbs  that used remote float bowls so the carb body could be put in any position.

Rikugun

I'm not sure I'd characterize some of them as only "slightly angled". Some appear to be mounted nearly vertically. Although the carb body looks like a familiar side draft, it's bowl shape and float location are designed for the OEM installation scheme. In other words, mounting the FZR 600 carb horizontally may render it inoperable.

So having said that, I'd agree best results would be had by sticking to the installation angle designed for the particular carb body being used. Remote float chambers would make these kinds of swaps easier for sure.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

32 mm is less than the 38 mm carbs that are factory for the '83 V.  I can't see The V producing stock power with smaller carbs.  I also can't see this swap as an upgrade or a necessarily "simple" V stumble workaround.

Walt_M.

Well, I already have the carbs and fuel pump and my stock carbs and fuel pump are probably fubar so I am going to have a go at it. I will let you know how it works.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Well, those certainly look like straight down draft carbs, so I say go for it and good luck! ;)  Some technical information concerning the float adjustment would be comforting if you have such carbs.

If the FZR600 has carbs like that possibly the FZR 1000 might have bigger versions of a similar design.  I'm going to see what's out there.

Walt_M.

I looked at R1 carbs and they might be too big. My '83 carbs are 36mm per Yamaha and have quite a bit of restriction in the throat so I am thinking a 32mm carb will flow as well. A set from an FZ750 might be a better fit but would be more rare.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

That's a good point. Using venturi values does not necessarily allow apple to apple comparisons in that different styles of carbs flow differently given equal claimed venturi size.  In addition, it's my understanding Keihin and Mikuni do not measure their carbs the same way - one used the I.D. at the end of the carb and one measured I.D. at the slide.

You might better look at CFM data if available.

Walt_M.

My carburetor criteria started with cheap and readily available that should fit.
Whale oil beef hooked!

dgr8one85

So I had no luck with the fresh rebuild of my 82' carbs. Float levels were set to recommendations, and and far as I can tell, I followed procedure for tuning to no avail.  I'll be adding a webber idf 40 to my cart in the next week or so.  I'll be posting pics of measurements, flange fabrication, and construction when finished. Wish me luck.

fret not

Wishing you not good luck but GREAT  LUCK! ;)