News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Motogp

Started by Walt_M., May 11, 2016, 04:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

Well, after 2 wet/dry races in a row, my interest in this year's series has seriously waned. I don't know if Marquez is that good, lucky or a good guesser but he now has a commanding points lead and he could have ridden the last 2 on a ruckus with the same result. Glad I didn't waste money on the BeIN channel.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Maybe we'll find out if Marquez is as talented as it seems, or lucky, but maybe the fortunes of other riders are just in a dump for now.  Poor Jorge Lorenzo is really taking a beating compared to when things go his way, and Rossi too.  It seems that all the factories are having issues making their bikes competitive (manageable, fast, reliable, etc. all at the same time). 

If you want the unexpected to happen just keep watching, and you should have been watching the last couple races.  Rookie Jack Miller won a wet race, and placed well in the last race (also wet-ish), so I think Honda is less anxious over their decision to support him now that he is actually showing progress and results. 

I think the teams are all finally coming to grips with the specified electronics, though there is still some progress to be made.  By the end of the season in early November they should be pretty well sorted out and better ready for the next season.  Then KTM will join the fracas, and they are reputed to have upwards of 270HP already (probably like everyone else).  I think their problem will be to keep tires on the bikes and get the power to the track.  The current electronic package isn't really doing the job in regard to traction control, as it seems everyone is complaining of wheel spin. 

It's mid season break now, so the next race won't happen until the middle of August.  Maybe some sorting out will happen before they all resume the racing and some clear advantage for some team will become apparent.  Or maybe they all will continue to struggle in fits and starts.  Clearly Lorenzo needs dry tracks to be competitive, but maybe he is just saving himself for the next season and his factory Ducati ride.

Cal Crutchlow finishing 2nd is a major boost for his reputation.  This is good for Honda, but if he had held his tongue he might still have been a factory Ducati rider and significantly farther ahead in the championship points. 

What a show!
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

fret not

Race this Sunday in Austria, and the Ducati mob looks to have some advantage, but one never knows what will happen when the green flag drops (or rather when the red lights go out).

With the time zone difference (I'm in California) I can check into MotoMatters or CRASH.net Sunday morning to read what happened and who won the race.  Asphalt and Rubber will have reports a bit later but usually come with more and better photos.

Walt_M.

The Ducatis were faster by a lot in testing but the Yamahas have caught up with Rossi qualifying second and Lorenzo fourth. Iannone is on pole. The race starts at eight am eastern which would be five your time. It should be a good race but I won't get to see it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Apparently MotoGP drew a significantly larger crowd of spectators to the Austrian track than did F1.  Spectators = $

Walt_M.

I haven't followed F1 since it became a Mercedes cakewalk, not that I have anything against Mercedes. The bikes are so much more interesting. You didn't mention results so I won't play spoiler.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Anyone can read about it at MotoMatters or Asphalt and Rubber.  Factory Ducati first (Ianone) and second (Dovizioso), then Lorenzo (factory Yamaha) third, Rossi fourth, and Marquez, Vinales, Pedrosa, . . . . . .

Walt_M.

Now there have been 3 wet races. If this is going to be the norm, I suggest they install sprinklers at all tracks.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Well they don't need to do that for all the tracks, as they will be racing in the UK at Silverstone very soon.  Doesn't it always rain there?

iain

I went to silverstone to watch the GP it didn't rain,,, but at one point it was that close to it..

Iain
NZ

fret not

The last race of the season has been run (Valencia, Spain) and now the teams are busy testing for next year.  Some riders moving to other teams, and KTM also entering MotoGP. 

It seems that Michelin has finally got a good grip on the tires as new lap records have recently been set.  It has been a difficult season for Michelin, what with grip issues, tires "exploding", etc.  Things seem to be sorting out and settling into a 'comfortable' zone as the riders learn how to use the tires and electronics, and the factories squeeze just a bit more out of their machines.  Next season is beginning to look pretty good for spectators.  YAY!  Racing begins March 26.

fret not

So far it looks like only a few riders are capable of winning a race, but the statistics can hide other realities, and then there is the variable weather.  Young upstart rookie (Vinales) on a factory Yamaha heads the time sheets but has much to learn, while Marquez is 'right there' and has more experience and 3 world titles, then Rossi with even more experience and cunning is a few steps behind.

Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, Suzuki, Aprillia, and now KTM field factory teams, and the Aprillia is showing very well so far.  It's anybody's race, with a few favorites of course.  First race is March 26 in Qatar.  18 races this season.

Any guesses as to the outcome this season?

Walt_M.

I am a Yamaha fan through and through but it would be hard to bet against Marquez. He won last year even after Honda gave him another screwed up motorcycle. I will still be cheering for Rossi and Vinales. Ianone has looked good on the Suzuki, maybe it was the Ducati that made him the 'human torpedo'.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Well, the season is certainly shaping up well for the spectators with so many possible winners.  Obviously some machines are superior to others but the riders are the biggest factor.  There are some 'hungry' riders for sure, which will make this an interesting process.  Valentino Rossi is trying for his 10th championship at the age of 37, while Marc Marquez at 23 owns 3 of the last 4 season championships.  Young Maverick Vinales (rookie) is riding the factory Yamaha team with Rossi, and so far Vinales is the fastest in practice and test sessions, but not by much.  If the riders remain healthy this season should be interesting.

I have usually not sided with a brand but rooted for the 'best' rider.  That aside, I used to work in a Honda dealership, and I had 3 different Yamaha racing bikes.  That, and I used to read the British MCN paper to follow the international racing scene.  I had several 'heroes' that I admired (Mike Hailwood (Honda), Phil Read (Yamaha), Giacomo Agostini (MV Agusta), Angel Nieto (Derbi), Cal Rayborn (Harley-Davidson), etc.) but now I root for the Repsol Honda team (Marquez and Pedrosa) and Cal Crutchlow.  I think if Pedrosa were retired that Crutchlow would end up on the Honda factory team.

I watch with interest the Ducati team with Jorge Lorenzo and Andrea Dovizioso.  Lorenzo has seemed a bit 'sensitive' and moody over the past few seasons, so I wonder how he will adapt to the Ducati.  It is so much different than the Yamaha he is used to.

Let us hope no one gets hurt and the weather is good for all the races.

fret not

The new season begins March 26, in Qatar with 6 factory teams (Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, Suzuki, KTM, and Aprillia) and several satellite teams filling the grid.  It should be an interesting season as the 'new' teams are nearly up to a competitive level, and everyone is 'getting used to' the Michelin tires.  It seems amazing to me that nearly everyone is complaining of wheel-spin and lack of horsepower.  That seems like an oxymoron, but they are treating it in a serious manner.

iain

Im looking forward to this year's racing i think it may be good for ducati as they seem to have the legs down the back straight..

Iain
NZ

fret not

" . . may be good for Ducati as they seem to have the legs down the back straight."  Yeah, but can they win regularly?  For certain the season is shaping up for what appears to be more competitive than the previous seasons.  As the old cowboys used to say,"it's the Indian,not the arrow".  But it really helps to have a good arrow too.  Or in this case "it's the alien, not the rocket ship". But it helps to have a faster rocket ship.

Even the 'slow' riders in MotoGP are terrifyingly fast compared to what we used to do in the 60s and 70s, and back then it was terrifyingly fast to me.  I can only imagine what it must be like to work that hard at such speed, and only a fraction of a second from the brink of disaster.  I recall Barry Sheen made a comment about going faster, he called it "piling on the agony".  The bikes they had then were much lighter and "twitchy" compared to the heavier and much more powerful rigs being run now.

Walt_M.

I believe it will still be tire management that decides the title. Yamaha seems to have decided their previous emphasis on corner speed is harder on tires than the Marquez/Honda emphasis on entry and exit. We will see how they do in adapting their chassis for the change. So far Vinales has been fastest in testing but Marquez is still best at race distance. Only a couple of weeks until the opener. I may even subscribe to the BEin channel so I can watch this year.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

First race of the 2017 season is this coming Sunday.  Practice Thursday and Friday, qualifying Saturday, and Race Sunday.

Walt_M.

Well, Qatar 2017 is in the books. I know the results but will hold off until tomorrow. The word is that it was a great race. Rain threat, in the desert?
Whale oil beef hooked!