Motogp

Started by Walt_M., May 11, 2016, 04:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain

just watched it...Great race

Iain
NZ

iain

This is not motorGP but a great race,,, its pre 82s i think????

https://youtu.be/Oza3a23ZItE

Iain
Nz

Rikugun

70HP 350 two strokes - just doesn't seem like it was that long ago.....man I feel old.

Looks like tire technology has developed to the point where moving body weight inside and extending the knee is being explored.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

Racing in Argentina this coming Sunday.  A fast track set far from a city or major airport,   Very likely to be entertaining, and the race is likely to be also.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Qualifying is tomorrow. I will probably be watching that too.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

My internet connection doesn't let me watch the races but I get to read about them after they have happened.  Fortunately there are a couple decent motojournalists that regularly report on the 'drama' and post some pics.

Walt_M.

After missing last season I grudgingly added the BEin channel to my cable package so I can watch. Got a bit of a bonus in that it includes superbike. The races were pretty good last week although the camera work is only so-so.
Whale oil beef hooked!

iain

It will be interesting to see how well the french rider does, who I can't remember his name at the moment but we will call him Mr Frog. He led the first race for the first six or seven laps, and was actually pulling away from the lead bunch. Definitely a potential podium place getter in the future.

Iain
NZ

Walt_M.

I think it was Zarco. I didn't see how he qualified yesterday. The qualifying was in the rain and the race is expected to be dry. Marquez is on pole and a very surprising Karel Abraham was second on a two year old Ducati. The races start around noon eastern time for Moto 3.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Well, if I am happy you must know the result. It will be good to see the next race at COTA where Marquez has never lost,  two weeks.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Race development is a process of strengthening the weakest link in your system.  It used to be they just needed more power, then they needed better suspension, then better tyres, and on and on.  If you strengthen one aspect it stresses another that then needs fixing.  Sort of a never ending exercise to improve and balance the system. 

It seems most of the MotoGP bikes have more power than the tyres can handle because they spin on corner exit, and unless they are very carefully managed they lose their grip before the end of the race.  If Tyres with better traction and longer wearing tread compounds are developed you can bet the horse power will be increased even more.  And since we are dealing with physical mechanics I think the Mohr's Law concept is not applicable like it is with electronics.  Even so, it is truly amazing the stuff that has been developed for this sport over the years.  The venerable Norton Manx had about 50 horse power, the current MotoGP bikes somewhere north of 250HP.

fret not

Qualifying happens Saturday, to see who gets which place on the starting grid on Sunday.  Looks like Marquez will get pole position unless someone else significantly steps up the pace.  The weather is supposed to be dry, so tires will be punished.  3 different front and 3 rear tires to choose from, and Michelin is continuously developing combinations of rubber compounds and carcass configurations.

I wonder if Lorenzo is really regretting his move to Ducati, and watching the upstart Vinales in his old place on the Yamaha team, and can't keep up with him.  I'm sure he is well paid but his chances of winning the world championship are just about nonexistent, but Vinales on the Yamaha is leading the championship points so far.

fret not

Sorry, Walt,  but Marquez on the Honda won this time.  Valentino Rossi is now in the lead for championship points, after Vinales crashed out. 

There may be much to look forward to as Jorge Lorenzo is getting used to the Ducati.  But will he ever win with it?

Walt_M.

Not too surprised Marquez won again, he owns that track. I was disappointed when Vinales crashed out but Rossi has the point lead.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

I admire Valentino for his deep experience and his skill, remaining competitive for so many years.  He is an interesting person and will be in contention for the championship this year as long as he can consistently manage to get on the podium, though he will need to actually win some races to remain in the lead.  This is so far his best possibility to regain the championship, as he ages it becomes more difficult.  Kind of 'now or never'.  While the 'hot shots' battle it out and risk crashing Valentino will be waiting and watching for opportunities to score. One must finish the race in order to win, and he is good at finishing, and shows surprising speed on Sundays(race day).  His qualifying runs are still a bit lagging but they are only for grid placement.

Walt_M.

Sunday was not a good day for Factory Yamaha. Hard to believe they could get their setup so wrong. Zarco's fourth was the only bright spot. It was hard to watch Rossi struggle in tenth. Lorenzo finally seems to be getting a handle on the Ducati but the Hondas ruled at Jerez.
Whale oil beef hooked!

iain

It was good to see lorenzo back on form,,,

Iain
NZ

fret not

With four races done out of eighteen for the season, it looks like several contenders have a good chance to win the championship this year.  However, as time passes and races are run the field of possible winners will narrow considerably.

I'm wondering what will change for Ducati and Honda, as they are the most physically difficult bikes to ride, and yet Honda is having very good results.  One would think that chassis issues would have been worked out long ago, like Yamaha and Suzuki have done.

fret not

Race at LeMans this coming Sunday.  You never know what will happen.

Walt_M.

It has been interesting so far. They tested the Monday after Jerez and Vanales was fastest. Hope I don't forget qualifying this weekend
Whale oil beef hooked!