News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Motogp

Started by Walt_M., May 11, 2016, 04:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

Yamaha front row for tomorrow in France! Could be an interesting race, and it could rain. Zarco had an excellent ride in Q1. He rode 10 laps on the same tire and finished second fastest with his last lap his fastest. Very impressive.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Yes, it looks like it is Yamaha's race to lose, but there are some that would very well upset the Yamaha apple cart if the opportunity arises.  Then there is the weather, and if it rains the possibility of other than Yamaha winning could be significant. In short, we never know what will happen, and that's why they line up on Sundays.  I'll read about it in the morning to find out how it all goes down.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

It was a good race, would have been better without two of the crashes. Pedrosa had a great ride from 13th on the grid and Zarco did not disappoint.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Great race today at Mugello. Definitely not a runaway and Italian riders won all three classes. Ducati won their home race for the first time since 2009. Lots of passing and few crashes.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

I just watched qualifying at Valencia. Hot day and hot track. Honda and Ducati front row. If it stays hot, look for a win from Pedrosa. Marquez fell four times but is still on the second row.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Cheers for Dani Pedrosa!   :) 
It looks like Mavrick Vinales is having difficulty, but when they line up on Sunday you never know what will happen.  I think everyone is struggling with how to make their tires last until the checkered flag.  The track is both "greasy" and abrasive, add the heat and you have a severe test for the tyres.

Walt_M.

I guess the factory Yamahas just can't get Spanish pavement figured out. Both Tech III riders beat them and both factory Hondas. Dovi won again and is a strong second in the championship.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

This was round 7 of 18, so there is much yet to happen before the championship is decided.  Ducati must be very pleased with Mr. Dovisioso, and J. Lorenzo is showing significant improvement, though not nearly up to the level he was expected when he signed his contract with the Ducati team.

Walt_M.

Well, now they are at Assen. The Yamahas seem to be working again,  Vinales was fastest in Friday's free practice. Rain predicted for Saturday qualifications. What an interesting season.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Well, they seem to keep things stirred up and interesting.  Track conditions may well play a big part in Sunday's race.  Mind games, new parts, better set up, aerodynamics, will the tires work?  It's always thus, we don't know what will happen, so they line up on the grid on Sunday . . . . . I predict that somebody will win. ;)

Walt_M.

Wow, what a race! Too bad Vinales crashed out but Rossi won a close one. Glad I got the BEin channel this season.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

From what I read it was a VERY CLOSE race for the first two positions.  That Ducati almost got there first, and the Ducati big wigs are not real happy with Jorge Lorenzo's results.  Unless he makes SIGNIFICANT progress in mastering the Ducati I predict he will be looking for a different ride next year.  I know he has a two year contract but there are ways to break such agreements.

iain

I have to agree with Walt ..what a race??? One of the best rounds so far

Iain
NZ

Walt_M.

Mike,  it's a shame you didn't get to watch the race. When Rossi passed Zarco for the lead with about 10 laps to go, Zarco tried to get him back and they collided. Rossi kept the lead, barely and Zarco dropped to fourth. Petrucci and Marquez in second and third. Bit of a battle between them which Petrucci won. Zarco tried for third but his tires were shot and Marquez held. Dovisioso is now fourth and passed up to second and went after Rossi but he has used up his tires and went back to fourth. Then Crutchlow came up and got Dovi then Marquez for third. Marquez got him back, on the last lap, and Petrucci is still hounding Rossi. Oh, and there was a rain threat at the end. Some,  including Zarco actually came in for rain bikes. I suppose you could say the first 2 positions were close.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Next race to be held at Sachsenring track in Germany on Sunday, July 2.  So far there is no one running away with the championship and several possible contenders.  This is getting good.

Walt_M.

And it has tended to be a track that favors Honda. 4 riders within 11 points. As you said, this is getting good.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Wow, qualifying in the wet, Marquez on top. The race could be very interesting or very boring,  dang!
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Well, not exactly the Yamaha factory team's day, but the brand was well represented by the Tech3 satellite team as young Jonas Folger led the race for a short while and finished 2nd.  Honda fared well with 1st and 3rd, so now Marquez is again barely in the lead for the championship.  A lot can happen between now and the conclusion of the season in early November.  KTM is improving as is Aprillia.  Much is developing, and this is an interesting season.

Walt_M.

Halfway through the season and ten points between first and fourth with Pedrosa not far behind. It looks like the FIM has finally achieved the parity they were looking for. I thought that Yamaha finally had their chassis sorted at Assen but wet qualifying in Germany proved otherwise. Everyone now gets a month off to work on the second half.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

August 6 will be the next race in Brno, Czech republic.  It seems like time is going so slowly as I anticipate that date.  In the mean time time is flying as we work on getting the salt flats bike ready.