News:

Main Menu

Nice ride today

Started by fret not, May 14, 2016, 01:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

I left home near Grass Valley Calif. about 8:00 in the morning and headed through Auburn and down the American River Canyon and up the other side through the tiny 'town' of Cool.  Comfortably cool air and nice scenery along HWY 49 and met up with an old friend i used to go racing with.  It was his idea to meet at the Coloma Club for breakfast, then his plan was to just see where the road would go.  We took the Marshall Grade road up to Georgetown and then south down the hill to Placerville. 

The roads in the foothills of the Sierra Mountains are notoriously twisty and winding, and the elevation is constantly changing, both up and down, and the new spring growth on the trees makes them look very healthy.  We  seem to be coming out of a severe drought and many Ponderosa pines have been weakened and attacked by bark beeetles, many have been killed.  So among the healthy stands of trees occasionally you can see one or two brown ones, and sometimes a stand of fifteen or twenty or even more.  It makes a contrast between the bright green new growth standing side by side.

From Placerville we took the Cedar Ravine road south and eventually connected to the Omo Ranch road, which took us up to about 3600' (1000 meters+or-).  The trees along the ridge form a high canopy over the forest floor, and the ground cover (mountain misery) is blooming, also lots of ceanothus is also in full bloom, so significant pollen in the air right now.  We connected to the main road down the hill to Sutter Creek and rejoined HWY 49 which we followed through the small town of Plymouth on our way back to the Coloma Club for a beer about 3:30.  Lots of back roads, wonderful spring time scenery, and not a lot of traffic.  An hour or so later I was safely home.  It was a good day.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Wonderfully written fret nut. I may never get to those spots but feel as if I have. Sounds like a great day with a friend on bikes. Thanks for sharing.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

Took my little RZ for a little test run this afternoon. I had just gotten it road ready after some fairly major chassis and brake upgrades. Blew a lot of 2-stroke smoke at first but it cleared out. The new four piston caliper brakes felt great. I think it had been nearly two months since I had ridden and it felt good. Now to get the Vision running so I can put some paint on the RZ. It is a US model in red, white and blue with a blue Canadian front fender. Very trailer park chic. I have to paint it or get a mullet.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Quote from: Walt_M. on May 22, 2016, 08:37:20 PM
I have to paint it or get a mullet.
Both fine choices, that will be a difficult decision.

Nothing like 2 stroke smoke, glad to hear it's amongst the living. Walt, when are you going to get a camera? I want to see before and after paint pics.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

I have several cameras, just photo post challenged. I had a photo bucket account but I was never able to post from it. Are you really sure you want to see the before photo? The whole bike is original paint and has a patina.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Patina is good. Yes, there is value to seeing the originals. It established the starting point as well as provides a more dramatic juxtaposition to progress.

Walt_M.

Took the RZ for another ride today. I found some EBC brake pads for the Vision, from my RZ calipers so I am in the middle of a pad swap for cheap. So the RZ is it, blue fender be damned. I just love that bike. The 4 piston caliper front brakes are amazing and the riding position is more upright than the Vision. Got some country two lane, interstate, stop and go then turns and up and down and home. Only 35 miles but the longest ride since my knee surgery and I am happy.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

It sounds like a good day, Walt.  I'm cheering for you!

fret not

Another ride starting from the Coloma Club (breakfast).  Filled up fuel after breakfast and again took the Marshall Grade Rd. up to Georgetown.  Last time there we turned right on the main street, but this time we went straight across it and on up and over the mountains  past Stumpy Meadows and connected with Ice House Rd. and turned south to connect with Highway 50.  Down the hill a bit we turned of onto the Mormon Emigrant Rd. and followed it to Highway 88, then down to the Omo Ranch Rd. and back through Placerville to the Coloma Club in Coloma (for a beer).  The loop from the Coloma Club and back was about 155 miles. 

The road from Georgetown up and over the 'top of the world' is generally very clean and smooth, though there are quite a few logging trucks hauling timber out of the mountains.  Last year there was a big forest fire in part of this area and they are salvaging some of the damaged and dead trees, and cutting fire breaks for future fire containment in the healthy forest, so there is occasionally debris on the road surface.  It helps to keep your eyes open (always) and be observant.  Other than that, the scenery in the high Sierra Mountains is REALLY nice. 

One of my riding buddies  who is still working the daily grind explained that taking a day off to go riding like this is therapeutic, like a  mental enema.  I gotta say, it was a very nice ride in the cool of the high country.  I don't know the maximum elevation on our ride but I did see a sign on our way back down that stated 6,000 ft.

Rikugun

You've inspired me. I haven't gotten many rides in this season and I miss it. I just called a riding buddy and we're going for a ride in about an hour.  :)

fret not

Clear out some cobwebs and roll up some miles.  If you are fortunate to have pleasant scenery so much the better.

Rikugun

Well I did but it was a shorter than expected ride. I was turned around early on by cooling issues.  :(

fret not

I guess we'll see you in the TECH TALK section.  What part of the cooling system do you suspect?

motoracer8

Hi Mike, I was up in that same area today. Started on Salmon falls road to 49, and Marshal grade road to George town then down into the canyon to Rock creek road to Mosquito ridge road. Stopped at the Starbucks in Placerville. Then to Plymouth on 49 to Larobe road and back home. I'm sure you've been on all of those roads at one time or another.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

fret not

Yes, Ken.  I'm familiar with those roads.  This was my first time over the road out of Georgetown that we took.  It puts you on top of the world it seems.  In my way of thinking Salmon Falls rd. is too much work for the amount of fun you can have, plus it is seriously watched by the Highway Patrol, or at least it used to be.

I'm currently riding a KLR650 and enjoying it, but just wait til I get my Vision going. 8)

motoracer8

Unless you work over the suspension on your Vision, you're probably better off on the KLR.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

fret not

I installed a rear shock from a Triumph TT600, and am considering some cartridge  system for the front.  Besides, we really aren't going nearly as fast as we used to.  On the last ride I drug one foot peg once.  we used to drag them rather regularly.  In the mean time I am trying to figure out mounting some other carburetors to the XZ.  Also in the meantime I am enjoying the KLR.

fret not

Another ride today.  This time we met in Auburn at the  Denny's diner on Auburn Ravine Rd for breakfast, then up the remnants of old Highway 40 to Donner Summit just above Soda Springs.  Currently I-80 rerouts  and replaces Highway 40 over Donner Summit, but we rode over the old route of the Historic Highway 40, part of the Lincoln Highway system.  The section from Donner Lake to the summit has been used for timed hill climbs in years past, and we rode down and back up that section while marveling at the rugged landscape and enjoying the clean cool air. 

Back over the summit we went to the 'town' of Soda Springs where my brother gassed up and we all visited the facilities.  Then we took the Soda Springs road south, hoping to arrive at Robinson flat and on back home via Foresthill.  Many of the old forestry roads have been paved but not this one until you get to Robinson Flat.   So, for nearly 30 miles we rode over dirt road with a few challenging sections.  Realize it is hunting season, so the area is crawling with pickups filled with camo clad hunters looking for a place to set up camp.  The road is well traveled and very dusty, strewn with rocks, a few very small water crossings, and one hellacious sand section.  It's only a couple hundred feet long but deep and very soft.  I got dirty in the process and managed to trap my left foot under the bike.  You can't lift a 400 pound bike off yourself when you are under it.  I managed to wiggle around and free my foot but needed help to pick up my bike. 

I have been reading some stuff about taking trips on bikes and the list of articles that might come in handy 'just in case':  tire levers, air pump, extra tubes, patch kit, etc., etc.  I was thinking about this while riding over the rocky sections, hoping I wouldn't hit a big rock and get a pinched tube or bent rim.  It all went pretty well but the thoughts did leave a mark in my 'judgement' concerning future trips.  We were traveling 'bare' in this regard.

Lots of great scenery, and the air is very clean and fresh when not following too closely to another vehicle.  A dust mask might be a good idea if going that way again.

Once we hit the paved road at Robinson Flat we sailed on down the mountain to Foresthill, where we stopped for a 'breather' and discussion.  The rest of the ride home was nice but unremarkable.  It was a good day.

Rikugun

That 30 mile section - and specifically the deep sand - sounds like a fun adventure. And by "fun adventure" I mean only in retrospect when the story is told years later.  :)

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret nut on September 25, 2016, 01:09:33 AM
I have been reading some stuff about taking trips on bikes and the list of articles that might come in handy 'just in case':  tire levers, air pump, extra tubes, patch kit, etc., etc.  I was thinking about this while riding over the rocky sections, hoping I wouldn't hit a big rock and get a pinched tube or bent rim.  It all went pretty well but the thoughts did leave a mark in my 'judgement' concerning future trips.  We were traveling 'bare' in this regard.
I don't even know how to fix a flat in a tubeless tyre.  Another thing I need to learn