News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

FZR carb conversion

Started by Walt_M., May 18, 2016, 06:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

Well, I finally got my '83 into my shop. I have been finishing suspension and brake mods on my RZ so it has taken quite a while to get started. My immediate problem was a result of ethanol gas dissolving my redcoat tank liner and depositing it in my carbs. I am not sure what I am going to do about it. My first thought was to do a carb swap to some FZR600 carbs I happened to have lying around. This looked good at first but now that the bike is in the shop with the carbs, it looks like they may not fit. If that is the case, I will have to get the '83 carbs clean. Not sure where to start but I may try a short soak in E85. When I get the carb problem solved, I am switching over to an R1 electric fuel pump, also on hand. My last mod will be to try my 650 Turbo forks. I have had them a long time and it is time to see if they will fit. If I have any success, I will post in Tech Talk. Don't expect anything too fast. I am getting my left knee 'scoped next Tuesday so I don't know how well I will be moving after. On the positive side, the surgery is why I put the bike in the shop now.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

This is not the first time I've heard of a tank liner dissolving and fouling the carbs. It sounds like a real mess. I don't have any first hand experience with this so no good advice either.

How does this happen? Is it from continual use or is it more of an issue when the bike sits dormant for a long time with the tank topped off?

Good luck with the knee surgery and hope you're back on your feet soon. I'll be looking forward to your posts in the Tech section.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

I think the tank liner is going to dissolve regardless of use but the carb issue may not have come up with daily use. However, I parked it when the tank started leaking. I was just too slow taking care of the leak and one problem became two. I forgot to mention I have a new '82 tank I am going to use. Also have a NOS petcock for the tank. My wife has long stopped complaining about me being a packrat.
Thanks for the good wishes about the surgery. The Dr. thinks it is a torn meniscus. I sure hope he can fix it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Got my carburetors off this morning, it still requires a great deal of cursing. Even more so when I broke the little nylon drain fitting off. Guess I was tired and forgot the damned thing. Probably did not help that my knee is still pretty stiff. The throttles are nearly frozen and finally turned with some effort. I am more optimistic that the FZR carbs will fit but it will take some time.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Here is wishing you full success with the 'new' carbs. :angel:  If they work this will be a real step forward.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

I am still futzing around with carburetors. The FZ carburetors will need to set up about a half inch from the manifold to clear the frame brace in the rear. Briefly thought about going back to the stock carbs but then I opened them up. Looks like the bilge in a tramp steamer! I might be able to get them clean but it will be last resort.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

I am making grudging progress. I have chosen 2 carbs to use, the left will be the front and the 3rd will be the rear. It has the throttle bellcrank and idle stop. I made some adapters to space the carbs up about an inch and am about ready to see if it will start. I don't have the throttles joined but I just want to hear it fire.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

I'm excited.  Can't wait for a results report.

Walt_M.

It ran today, for about three seconds, but it is another step. Stopped by fuel leaks. FWIW if the carburetors don't have to be raised any more, I won't need a fuel pump.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Quote from: Walt_M. on June 19, 2016, 06:57:17 PM
FWIW if the carburetors don't have to be raised any more, I won't need a fuel pump.

Gravity seems to work well despite being just a theory.  ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

It runs, at least on the front cylinder. I think I have a vacuum leak on the rear. Now I need to connect the throttles and chokes.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

I made solid progress on my carburetors today. I have them bolted together with functioning throttles. I will post some photos when I get back to it. Choke linkage is next.
Okay, I have photos. The first two show the way they are bolted together. Tried to show the way I connected the throttles. The fourth is the carburetors on top of the frame rails, then the carburetors in place, easy fit between the frame rails. Right side view then back out. Took about five minutes from out to in to back out. I am loving this.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Walt, what year bike did the 'new' carbs come from? 8)

This project is starting to look more and more promising.

Walt_M.

Late 80s to 96 or so. They made the FZR for 6 or 8 years. I have seen lots of these carbs on ebay. I am getting excited about getting it running. At this point I have maybe $200 invested, if you don't count the drill press that I needed anyway. The carb connectors and throttle extension are made from 3/8ths aluminum rod.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

I'm glad to see progress - and pictures on this.  :)

ChrisV

This is very cool.  I can't wait to hear the outcome. 
Chris Vogel
Current rides: 1987 TW200, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 2014 ZUMA 50.
Current Projects: 1982 XZ550, 1986 XL600R, 1980 CB750SS

Walt_M.

After considerable thought, I am using the original Vision choke actuators. Made a couple of simple tabs to mount them. Just need a cable clamp. Photos to follow.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

I was wondering how you were going to work out the choke actuators. Seems like a good solution to use components made for the job.

fret not

Walt, what have you come up with to connect the new carbs to the heads?  Does there seem to be enough room to make it all happen? 

I have been using the website 'Motorcycle Specifications' for comparing bikes and parts, as they have a technical sheet for each model and year.  I have found the FZR 1000 EXUP uses 38mm carbs, the FZR600 uses 34mm carbs except for some models.  I saw 37mm listed for a few.  These all seem to be for the forward leaned engine so should b e the 'downdraft' variety.  There is a mix of Kehin and Mikuni depending on the model and year.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za

This is getting more interesting as the days go by.

Walt_M.

My carbs are 34mm. I found an electrical conduit splice for 1 1/4 inch pipe whose outer diameter fits the Vision intake and the carb, with an O ring fits the inside. Of course I had some tedious shaving down work on various ribs and flanges and ribs plus JB weld in the set screw holes. Oh, and I cut the splice in two so one splice makes two adapters. The carbs set about an inch above the intakes which is necessary for them to fit in the Vee. I realize there will be problems but if I can get it running well the intake adapter can be better sorted.
Whale oil beef hooked!