News:

Main Menu

FZR carb conversion

Started by Walt_M., May 18, 2016, 06:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

I just got back from my first ride with the new carburetors and I can not believe how well it ran! I am just amazed, no spitting and sputtering. No Vision stumble just smooth acceleration and steady cruise at 60. If there was a problem, it did not start right up after I got it warm. But it did start. The only problem I had is I have gotten so used to the RZ that I thought the steering head was frozen. It isn't. Maybe the new radials will help.
Whale oil beef hooked!

ChrisV

Big thumbs up.
When is the kit going to market?
Chris Vogel
Current rides: 1987 TW200, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 2014 ZUMA 50.
Current Projects: 1982 XZ550, 1986 XL600R, 1980 CB750SS

QBS

I know is this subjective, but which setup feels more powerful?

fret not

WOW!  A hearty CONGRATULATIONS to you Walt!  You have revolutionized the concept of the Vision for many of us. THANK YOU! 

I will try to put up some pics if I can figure out how.  My project is in the early stages yet, with some manifold fabrication to do, and I have yet to figure out what all the hoses do and if they all are needed.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

QBS, can't say whether the FZR carbs up the power but it does run good and it doesn't seem at all finicky. I know I can get the idle better with pilot screw adjustments and I might go to 50 pilots to help with cold starting and running. I haven't even done a sync yet. This is to date the best thing I have done for my Vision. FWIW, I am going to take some time off, knee and domestic stuff. I ordered the pod filters and will install with the choke cable when the filters get here.
ChrisV, no plans for a kit but if I decide to get adapters made for mine I might do more than two if there is interest. The throttle coupling and spacers are well within an average mechanics capability.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

I am having "difficulty" putting pics into a post.  So far about what I can manage is to put pics in an e-Mail (good at that).  I am using a Mac, and for some reason this process is not as simple as our old Windows PC.

Walt_M.

Mike, look below the post window and you will see a +Attachments and other options. It is so easy even I can do it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

A very successful first ride, nice going Walt.  :) It sounds like this first "shakedown" ride was sans air filters. Maybe when the pods come in adding them will help with idle and cold starts just by themselves.

Fret, as Walt mentioned, use the + Attachments and other options for pictures stored on your hard drive. There is an "Insert Image" icon along with others above the message text box but that's for pics stored on an image hosting site like Flickr or Photobucket. Just a suggestion, it might not be a bad idea to start a new thread and document your progress there.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

I had the air horns from the air box clamped on the carburetors and the air box with filter pushed down over the air horns. Not exactly sealed but some restriction. I plan to put the pods in the air box.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Easy for YOU to say,   " It is so easy even I can do it. "  I'm good with planes, fret files, and routers, not so great with digital things.  I even got rid of a digital caliper in favor of a dial caliper because it is easier to read and doesn't ever need a battery.
I will study this uploading 'process' and make an attempt later.  I am really in the beginning state with the carbs hung in position, now I have to fabricate the connecting manifolds.  I think there is clearance for the throttle cable, and the float bowls are away from the coolant (hot) hose from the rear cylinder.

Just ordered a used shop manual for the YZF600r (Thundercat) to get a handle on how the carbs work, what hoses do what, and which ones are actually needed.  I have found that engine coolant is piped to the carbs but I hope it is not necessary for this application.  Maybe they get really hot on the original bike.  Seems pretty strange to me, but I'm not an engineer.

Walt, are you using the fuel pump or are you taking advantage of Gravity for fuel delivery?

I will take pics of the process so when I can figure out how to upload them there will be a complete documentation.

Walt_M.

Yes, I am using the pump. I got used to one on my TDM. Turn on the key,  listen to it tick tick tick, filling the float bowls until it stops then push the button.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

So I am assuming your fuel pump is not for a Fuel Injection system (high pressure 42psi or so), but for regular carburetors.  Do you know how much pressure it makes?  Is it from another bike?

Walt_M.

My pump is for a carbureted R1 and obviously has a regulated shut off. I had a FZ750 that came with one which is where I got the idea. I don't know what the pressure is but it can't be more than a couple of pounds but it is enough.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

I'd think a pump from any bike fitted with carbs would work as they're all designed for pressures the inlet valve can handle. Some are more sophisticated than others in that if they don't realize some degree of resistance within a given time interval, they shut off. This requires several cycles of the key switch to fill empty carbs but also guards against draining the tank when an inlet valve gets stuck open by debris.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

I connected mine to the switched positive at the Signal fuse. Key off, no pump, key on, pump. And something I found by accident while I was testing, the pump does not pass fuel when it is off. A stuck float will not dump your fuel on the garage floor.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Had an extra burst of energy this afternoon and turned my attention to tires. I took it kind of easy on my test ride because of several things and old tires was one. Since I have the tires on hand I started changing them. Got the rear wheel off and the tire off. Wasn't sure my knee would cooperate but okay so far. See if I can finish tomorrow.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Changing tires is an ambitious endeavor for someone recovering from knee surgery as it often devolves into a wrestling match!  :)

Regarding your previous post and stuck inlet valves -  do you still use a vacuum actuated petcock?

Walt_M.

Yes, I got a NOS '82 petcock a couple years ago for my '82 NOS tank. It will probably outlast me. On the tire change, I awkwardly got the rear tire off yesterday and got the rim clean enough to try the install but the grass needs mowing. At least I have a rider.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Got the mowing done and a break then started on the tire late afternoon and I have it halfway. The easy side.  If anyone asks,  Contis are stiff!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Kenny

Speaking of tires and ... about six years ago I mentioned that I was planning to use some of the balancing beads (dynabeads) instead of the weights on the rim . I have them installed in the 83 Vision and the 81 XV920rh and find them working well -installation is a bit of fun as you need to put them in through the valve stem (with the core removed) , don't put them in as soon as you let the air out as the moisture from the escaping air will gum things up. I found with the weight off the wheel and the stem at the bottom You can get most in with the supplied bottle & plastic tube , I found you can speed this process up by using an electric engraving tool - the vibes help.
  Ok back to tire installation - I have Metzlers on the Vision and Bridgestone's on the 920.
      Cheers Ken S.

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92