News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

I built my first exhaust!

Started by dgr8one85, May 07, 2016, 09:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgr8one85

So, with my extremely limited skills in everything, and lack of tools, I have accomplished building my first exhaust system for the XZ.  I had a wrecked SV650 with an intact exhaust system from which to rob all my piping and bent pipes from. I used an extra rear Y-pipe that I had laying around to put on the front cylinder.  The tips are the cheapest ebay tips I could find.  All in all im into the exhaust for $80.  It worked out better than I thought and sounds like it's at least twice as big in displacement as it really is.

QBS

Excellent!  Is the rear muffler the same outside diameter as the front one?

fret not

It looks like the same can rolled onto it's side.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Looks good and I'll bet no one else has an exhaust like it! Do you have any pics showing the front Y pipe mod you did?

Just a safety comment..... it looks like you may be reaching the end of the rear brake shoe life based on the adjuster position. Also, it's hard to see in the photo but looks like the stock 8mm brake stay hardware is still in place. There have been a few members who have had problems with these so replacing them is often suggested.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

That is very cool. Apart from the awesome sound, has the mod improved the bikes performance?
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

dgr8one85

I'll post up some close up pics of the front Y pipe mod, though my welding and grinding is not that good lol.  She isn't running as of yet.  My carbs are a lost cause right now.  I have a set of Weber IDF 40 carbs on the way and I will be building a manifold soon, so those posts are soon to come also.

In regards to the rear pad adjustment, I may have reassembled it in correctly.  And I will address the 8mm bolt shortly.  Thanks guys!

dgr8one85