News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

83 Style Fairing-Comes with Upper, Lower, and pictured brackets & an 83 Upper.

Started by kwells, January 19, 2016, 03:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

Hey guys. I pulled this setup off of an 82 but should work on your 83 as well. It appears to be all there but some of 83 guys could point out any pieces missing. I would def rather have anyone on this forum to get 1st dibs.

$80 shipped.

ALSO:

I have an 83 Upper without any brackets or windscreen. Does have a crack on the right side(shown).

$60 Shipped.

Take the whole shabang and I'll make you a killer deal if I can get them all into one box. Make me an offer.

email me if interested ...I'm not on the ROV forum as much as I used to be. kwellzsticky@gmail.com

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

Last call on this stuff. $60.00 shipped or it will be in the dumpster next Tuesday.(Today is Thurs. 5-12)

www.wellsmoto.com

fret not

Somebody step up and buy this!  It IS a deal.  Since it is made of fiberglass any cracks are fairly easily repaired.  Also, I believe Treedragon started out his fairing with one of these, though he did a bit of 'massaging' here and there.

I would buy it just for a spare but I am already run out of room.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

It is a great deal - I'm skeptical if it can be shipped for that price. If so, he certainly isn't making much on the deal. The thought of what was once considered very desirable parts being thrown in a dumpster really speaks to the value of these bikes now.

I am/was in the market for '83 forks which are hard to come by and at one time fetched a good price. In this ad http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=15599.0 user RKRobert2 offers up an '83 bike for free and lists his cell number. I had been away from the forum and didn't see the ad until later. I called him to express interest in the forks or the entire bike. He told me he had not received one call and that I was the first. Unfortunately, I was about two weeks too late.

After some time with no interest and wanting to get rid of the bike he ended up dismantling it into pieces small enough to fit in the trunk of his car. He then took the pieces a bit at a time to his local "recycling center". This is another way of saying he threw it in the garbage. That's what a once sought after '83 Vision came to be worth. It's sad.

These parts and the bikes from whence they come are only valuable when there are people interested in them. The Vision was always a niche interest and that group has grown smaller.

EDIT: I think I'll email kwells.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

kwells

I've never been a fan of the 83 fairings but I know there were a few guys out there that still liked them. I've always had either the shark fairing, sport fairing, or no fairing at all. It's been about a year since I obtained these fairings and they've been monopolizing my store room at the shop.
They will probably be heading to a new home very soon.

www.wellsmoto.com

devotee

I know, a day late. If it hasn't been picked up, I will buy it.
carter - at - cs-net.net
I left a message on the wellsmoto phone too.

and sent a message to your gmail too (I just saw the address).
devotee
XZ550RK
XS750E
GL1000 (1976) project

kwells

will have to break it up....best price(to NJ) is $172. Will contact those that have contacted me already about trying to get it packed up and shipped out.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rikugun

Kevin, as I noted via email that's more than I can justify spending especially given I have no need for most of it. Since devotee has stepped up I'd work with him. If for whatever reason that falls through, I'd still consider a partial shipment of the specific pieces I mentioned in email. Thanks.
Gary
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

kwells

It looks like I can split the blue Upper/Lower and the 83 Upper into separate boxes. At this point the Upper with the brackets and windscreen is about 85 shipping from Denver to the East coast. The upper/lower without the brackets may be a similar cost (85-100). Either way there is a pretty good cost to anyone who wants these.

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

Looks like the blue 83 style Upper/Lower will be tossed. Have one interested in the 83 upper. Will post up if that falls through but it would also get tossed tomorrow (5-17) if no takers. Keep in mind I am not selling these items. They are being given but they are expensive to ship.

www.wellsmoto.com

fret not

For crying out loud!  Someone take these things before they are "recycled" into the landfill!  Nobody is making more of these!  Get it NOW or forever have your regrets. :police:

Walt_M.

That is so sad, I can remember when a member paid $600 for an '83 fairing. I have an '83 with complete fairing and a silver upper I got in a 'box of parts' sale so I am kind of flush.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

It is sad when one can't even give parts away. The harsh reality is just paying shipping alone can easily become cost prohibitive. It's often more practical to find a local parts bike to acquire what would otherwise be "big ticket items" economically. As the bikes become less available that becomes more difficult too. If successful, you the end of with a bunch of unneeded parts to sell.

There still may be Visionaries sitting on lots of parts thinking there will be a big payoff one day when they sell them off but I'm thinking those days may be slipping away. Shipping heavy and/or bulky items across states (forget about international) in today's economy works against the typical Vision owner as many acquire their bike on the cheap. It's hard to justify one upgrade that approaches - or exceeds - the initial investment.

fret not

Rikugun, that is flawed thinking.  Just because a 'bike' is very inexpensive or free doesn't mean everything else it needs should be cheap or free.  It's great if you can have it that way, but a 'project' sometimes requires some money to further it's state of completion.  In the end you get a great bike to ride, and sometime in the future it will be considered a "prize" to own by others.  Investment?  Not a financially profitable one, but it IS a cool bit of dated technology, and a healthy challenge to get them going, and keep them going.

Sometime within the next year or so there will be someone asking if there is a fairing available, just wait.

Walt_M.

You are correct Mike so you get dibs on 'I told you so' but the fact is there is a narrow demand for this bike. I now have 3 bikes, the Vision, a '92 TDM850 and my personal favorite an '84 RZ350. The RZ is/was my daily rider and it is loads of fun. The Vision will live again but the RZ is tough competition. The TDM will be first to go if I start to divest. I may replace it with an FJ/FZ09.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

A narrow demand indeed and its shrinking. There is another aspect to be considered too.

QuoteRikugun, that is flawed thinking.  Just because a 'bike' is very inexpensive or free doesn't mean everything else it needs should be cheap or free.

That's not what I meant at all. Fret, I appreciate your comment but feel you may have read between the lines and possibly come to the wrong conclusion.  What I was politely not saying is some percentage of folks drawn to a cheap bike do so because it's all they can afford. I am fully aware that tires for instance cost what they cost regardless of ones financial circumstances. Used parts however are quite negotiable with prices being set by the market. I think we find ourselves currently in a buyers market is all.

I probably should not have clouded the issue with this aspect in my earlier post but felt it is part of the equation. The key element may just be apathy. There are relatively few out there interested in the bike as evidenced by kwells difficulty in unloading fairing parts even at shipping cost.

kwells

Last call...The blue 83 'style' upper & lower went into the dumpster tonight. I still have the 83 upper/windscreen boxed up and ready to ship for anyone interested. It looks like I was able to ship it out to MI for around $75 but I never got an answer.

Tomorrow I'll toss this one out too. If interested email me your address so I can see how much to ship.

Kevin

www.wellsmoto.com

Walt_M.

The hidden beauty of the 83 fairing is the wind protection. I once did an 800 mile day on mine and could never have done it without the fairing. Someone should do themselves a favor and get it.
Whale oil beef hooked!