Eureka! A Valve shim tool for everyone!

Started by pinholenz, May 29, 2016, 04:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

Thanks Rikugun,

Phew! My dimensions are 6.55mm and 2.5mm respectively. Slightly shy of the original dimensions, but a very practical  tool. In use I was concerned that there might have been a slight risk of it just catching one shim bucket instead of both. In practice, this is not an issue at all.

Cheers, and thanks for the clarification.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

I think the German tool drawing may have a typo.

You might be better off with a slimmer profile. With the OEM tool, you could have trouble removing one shim or the other dependent on how accurately the tool was centered between the two buckets. Perhaps your is less sensitive to that.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

Mk 2 Valve Shim Tool!

Dean in Canada has been giving the epoxy laminated valve shim tool some welly and found that the tool started to de-laminate after heavy use. A Mk2 version has been made and shipped to him to see if he can destroy this one!

Each of the water-cut profiles now has a 4mm hole in it.  I am inserting a K&S 5/32 (3.97mm) brass rod through these during the epoxy lamination process. This method also helps line the faces up much better during assembly. The same company also do Piano wire in various sizes.

If Dean wrecks the Mk2 version, Plan C will be to stainless spot weld the laminates together on the 22mm wrench faces and then file off any high spots. Pictures below will give the general idea and the finished article.

The Prophet of Doom

What about countersinking the outsides and using a rivet - the proper sort not pop rivets.
Like this

pinholenz

I like it!

Always good to have a plan C AND a plan D.
I will check out the local engineering suppliers to see what they have.

Is the idea to just beat the protruding bit into submission with a hammer on an anvil?

Rikugun

The head depth for the 4mm diameter ones is right at the nominal thickness of the outer plates. That could work out nicely.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Single Carb Vision

Pinholenz, you might want to check out flat head sex blots.

Rikugun

Quote from: Single Carb Vision on July 09, 2016, 08:27:58 PM
Pinholenz, ... check out flat head sex blots.
Hopefully this is just a case of auto correct gone amok? I haven't kept up with the current trends though - maybe this is what the kids are up to nowadays?

Single Carb Vision

Not "Auto Correct" . I think your imagination got the best of you. The kids are okay, it's the old guys that are a little shaky.

Dean

Just a quick note to say the size is bang on and I'm sure Pinholenz will figure out a method to make it indestructible...

Cheers...and thank you for spending the time to bring the idea to fruition at a reasonable cost.
You do not need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle! Dan Aykroyd

pinholenz

Thanks Dean. I hope that you will put the Mk2 version with the brass inserts through its paces.

The stainless steel sex bolt fastenings look like an excellent idea since they could be cut down to length to suit the thickness of the assembled pieces. However, even though they have low profile heads, these might interfere with the shim removal. I will explore this as an option though. Thanks for the suggestion SCV.

Single Carb Vision

Your welcome. I found a web site that seems to have a very large assortment of bolts to choose from. Good luck with the project.

https://ampg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2014-AMPG-SexBolt-CatPgs.pdf

Walt_M.

Okay, so now I know what a sex bolt is. But if I were around when they named it,  it wouldn't be called a sex bolt.
Whale oil beef hooked!

pinholenz

I've had a play around with both the sex bolts and rivets to laminate the shim tool. - Thanks to SCV and POD for your contributions.

At the moment the brass pins still look like the best reinforcement for the laminating.

Instead of JB Weld as the laminating adhesive, I will try Loctite 263 which should work well with the stainless steel and make assembly even easier.

fret not

Have you tried cutting the brass rod slightly longer than needed to pass through the three layers of stainless and peen it with a hammer?  A slight flair on each end couldn't hurt, and it should slightly spread the rod to press against the wall of the hole.

I have used this 'system' of home made rivets when making some hardware for guitars.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

pinholenz

I haven't tried that yet, but it makes sense. A slight countersink on the outside holes and then peening the excess with a hammer or in a hydraulic press should work well. Cheers. 

fret not

I think a bench vise would suffice.  You can apply a lot of 'squeeze' to such a small bit of brass.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

pinholenz

Good thinking. I should have done the math or at least tried it!. If I can get 100lb of pressure in my bench vise on a 5/32 inch diameter bit of brass, that would be over 5000 psi, or more than 2.5 (American) tons of pressure per square inch. Should do the job nicely. I will try it tomorrow.

djpinoy

pinholenz, Just curious if you are still interested in selling one of your valve shim tools?

2002_wrx

Quote from: djpinoy on February 09, 2017, 02:19:38 AM
pinholenz, Just curious if you are still interested in selling one of your valve shim tools?

Same question here!