News:

Main Menu

Vintage Racing

Started by Dean, June 08, 2016, 04:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Dean on July 14, 2016, 10:07:19 PM
Thanks for the improvement ideas...all definitely worth exploring.
If you want ideas, I assembled a list of every mod I could find, and a few more besides

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=13508.msg122189#msg122189

ChrisV

Quote from: cvincer on July 14, 2016, 08:52:15 PM

Really liked this story courtesy of 'pinholzen'

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=15554.msg143021#msg143021

Might give you some ideas.

That may be the best looking bike I have ever seen,  simply amazing.

If  come out ahead on a few other projects it gives me ideas about what can be done with my old vision.
Chris Vogel
Current rides: 1987 TW200, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 2014 ZUMA 50.
Current Projects: 1982 XZ550, 1986 XL600R, 1980 CB750SS

Rikugun

QuoteReally liked this story courtesy of 'pinholzen'

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=15554.msg143021#msg143021

Good stuff. I missed this post during my hiatus. I remember the bike and being intrigued with the rear brake work. I wonder if the Toyota master is from the clutch or brakes? I can see the master but not the slave cylinder as it's obscured by the muffler - any idea what's going on back there?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

jefferson

The bolts for the frame were purchased from Coast Fabrication and were the MIL spec. They have 12 point heads and washers incorporated into the head and are on pg 18 of the catalogue I have.  I have the receipt somewhere, but right now can't come up with it. I am pretty sure they were 5/16 diameter and I matched up the grip length to the stock bolts. I then ran a tap through the stock nuts welded on the backside of the frame for the new thread size. One of the best mods I ever did to the bikes.

Dean

You do not need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle! Dan Aykroyd

Walt_M.

Thank you for the link, lots of good stuff there. Most is SAE but I did see some metrics.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Dean

Well round three is in the books...The Vintage Festival at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park...http://canadiantiremotorsportpark.com
I am still slow and still having a blast... :D

The following is a link to photos of the event. Look for the vision (107) in the Slow practice session.
http://www.coburnpix.com/Motorcycle-Racing/2016-VRRA-Vintage-Festival

Friday was great day and great weather, Saturday was crazy first fog until 1pm then at 2pm the rain started. Sunday was good again but the races were compressed to make up for Saturday. The organizers did a great job to make up for crap weather.
You do not need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle! Dan Aykroyd

Dean

I just finished looking at the side car photos. This group was on the track Saturday when the clouds unleashed the moisture...some awesome photos.
http://www.coburnpix.com/Motorcycle-Racing/2016-VRRA-Vintage-Festival/VRRA-Practice-Sidecars/

fret not

It looks like a fun time, I hope no one got hurt.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing the link and your Vision looks good out there on the track BTW.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Dean

The season wrapped up in Calabogie Ontario and it was a blast.

http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/

I ran into the rev limiter problem. It was intermittent at first then became more prevalent. I was scratching my head pondering but then remembered reading about the issue on this site. A simple snip of the wire and back in business. The sharing of info from you folks is awesome.

I have been reading with interest the FZR carb conversions and your success. Great work and awesome you guys have been sharing the knowledge. I have been experimenting with the original carbs and having success also.

When I get some time I'll do a write up (with pics) for my latest carb experiment that I ran at Calabogie. What I did was to drill out both main air orifice(s) and using a tap cut threads for installing a jet the same type as the main fuel jet / low speed air jet. Also involved was to solder the air tube from the little filter for the front carb.

In my previous tweaking (for other races) I had used a smaller air jet for the low speed circuit, which seem to solve the bog at 4500 rpm. When not under load and moving the throttle very slowly, so as to not engage the accelerator pump, I noticed the bog was now at 8500 rpm. I figure that by richening the low speed circuit the transition from low speed to main circuit has moved up in the rpm range. When on the track I didn't notice the bog but at around 8500 rpm I'm either off the throttle or coming onto WOT with the help of the accelerator pump.

Now, by adjusting the main air jet, the engine has almost no bog when transitioning from low speed circuit to main circuit and works awesome on track. I'm using the air box, without a flapper and I cut a hole into the front area of the air box. The engine pulls well into 10,500 to 11,000 range and puts a smile on my face every time I see the tack needle going towards the bottom of the dial. :)

With all of the above said...I am still old, slow and having a great time...can't wait till next season. 8)

Rikugun

Nice end of the season report, thanks! I'll definitely be looking forward to your carb experiment write-up too, sounds interesting.

Dean

Hey Folks,

2017...4 Race Events...3 crashes...bike engine is seized but what a blast.

I have the bike in the house until I get another engine ready, then back to the garage for a refresh.

pinholenz

Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Dean

Rikugun

Sorry to hear of the crashes. It looks like one was a low side on the right - foot peg & brake lever damage. Speaking of the right foot peg area, that is a unique way to activate the stock pedal w/rear sets!

Is the Bud can for crankcase emissions? I think I saw the coolant catch bottle on the other side.

I'm seeing some new parts compared to your earlier pics most notably front rim and brakes. Is that a 17" rim? What was the donor bike? How does it handle?

Dean

In my last event the engine seized and she bucked me off. I was quite happy with the minimal amount of damage. In the two previous crashes the exhaust took a beating. As part of the latest make-over I made new mufflers. 1/4 inch aluminum and the securing allen head screws are positioned to contact the ground when on its side.

The stock bracket worked well to secure the SpecII pipes so I kept it and made some modifications to fit the FZR peges.

Yes the bud can is to outlet crankcase breather tubes.

The 17" wheel is from a "93 Seca II. As far as handling, I haven't put enough time on the bike to really tell if improvement. The front definitely sits lower but I have some adjustment available to the rear shock length. The reason for trying it was because I needed a new front tire and rather than replacing with another 18" I used a 17" that I have available for project I hope to have ready for next season.

Dean

I need to make a correction...The 17" front wheel in the photo is a early cbr600 wheel.

The twin piston brake caliper is from the Seca II

jefferson

Whatever bike the tank is from sure looks like it fits pretty well. The disc on the front looks pretty sketchy as far as there is a lot of area that doesn't look like it's in contact with the pads. Are you in the mockup stage as far as the chain drive goes? I still see the 90 degree pinion on the motor.
What happened with the motor as far as just suddenly locked up or was it running hot or something?

Dean

Tank is a Seca II.
The chain drive is in the mock up stage.
The 90 degree pinion is not on the bike. The pinion cover has been modified so that it will cover the sprocket
Suddenly locked up...I wouldn't be surprised to find the rear connecting rod seized to the crank when it comes apart.