News:

Main Menu

New shocks on Ebay (Germany)

Started by cobol74, June 09, 2016, 05:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vl5150

I took the bait and ordered one of these just now.  Thanks for posting.  I'll report back on how these work.

I know for me the 1982 stock shock is under-dampened by a longshot and the 1983 shock is still under-dampened, but not as bad as the '82.

Rikugun

Well it certainly looks pretty. I'll be looking forward to your report.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

George R. Young

And you get two? In case you have a couple of Visions?

fret not

I hope you asked some questions and got reasonable answers before committing to the purchase.  Pardon my cynicism but I have trust issues with eBay ads in English, and I don't read or understand German.  I really hope you are a winner in this. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

pinholenz

They sure do look good!

Shocks are quite a mystery to me.  I have an XZ400 parts bike. Did the XZ400 have a better shock than the 82  Vision or was it still under-dampened?. (I have an 82)
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

POD might be able to shed some light on that one.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rikugun on June 17, 2016, 07:49:39 AM
POD might be able to shed some light on that one.
Indeed...

The XZ400s I have seen have the same shock as the 16R XZ550 which I thnink is the same as US82 - some are welded some have a snap cap.  the snap cap ones are certainly disassemblable, and probably rebuildable if you fit a Nitrogen valve and can find the right seals. 

The XZ400D has a better slightly heavier shock with a I,II,III damping adjustment, but a different mechanism than I've seen on 83s

I thought my original xz550 was as good or better than any of the many other bikes I rode at the time. In retrospect it seems pretty crap, and if it's leaking, then truly awful.

I'd say almost any modern shock would be better

vl5150

I forgot to update this thread.

This ebay auction is a mistake.  I got 2 small shocks that cross referenced to a KZ650 or something like that.  The guy in Germany gave me a refund.  I brought the shocks to my local bike shop to see if he could use them.

pinholenz

Blimey... Thanks for the update.
There are several other suppliers of replacement XZ550 shocks on eBay, notably Brooks Barn in the UK. Has anyone tried these?
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550