News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Fuel line replacement

Started by Conrad, June 12, 2016, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrad

Hey guys,

I recently noticed that the fuel line going from the fuel pump that splits into a "T" to go to the carbs has cracked and has started spilling gas...  Anyone know where i might be able to find a replacement or a possible fix?  I've tried every auto/motorcycle parts store and every hardware store in a 20 mile radius and haven't found anything suitable.  I was thinking of trying to use a plastic T joint and cutting off the parts of the hose that aren't cracked and using those as connectors, but I'm worried it would restrict fuel flow.  Thoughts? 

cvincer

If I need any  'T -pieces'  for anything, I go to the shop that supplies garden sprinklers & irrigation piping.......often find

something that will fit.

fret not

Conrad, I would be leery of a piece of fuel line that is already splitting.  A split fuel line can cause excessive heat when the spilled fuel ignites.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Conrad

Quote from: cvincer on June 12, 2016, 08:03:31 PM

If I need any  'T -pieces'  for anything, I go to the shop that supplies garden sprinklers & irrigation piping.......often find

something that will fit.

Would I have to worry about reduced flow though?  The inner diameter of the Ts is usually quite a bit smaller than the original fuel line. 

Also don't worry, my bike isn't even running at the moment, so no possibility of a fire!

cvincer

I've never had any problems with the flow of liquids ..... the  'T' pieces from garden supply shops only cost peanuts, just

buy & try with ordinary fuel line pipe.

Walt_M.

For hose try Motion Pro tygon. I got mine from www.jpcycles.com. I got 1/4 and 3/16.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Most of the auto parts stores around these parts carry Tygon tubing is several sizes.  They sell it by the foot.

Irrigation parts may work well enough for a while, but how well will they hold up over time while subjected to fuel?  I would trust materials that are made for the application.  A failed fuel system can easily create a major set back, and leave lots of black smoke and cinders.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!