News:

Main Menu

Need help locating something

Started by jefferson, June 15, 2016, 08:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

I have been searching around and can't find what I was looking for. One of our overseas members posted a picture in one of the threads of his front end which had 2 of the larger 82 disc's on it which I commented on. I would really like to find out more about this front end, but can not find the thread. If anyone knows of which I speak I would really appreciate a heads up. Thanks.

admin

pretty sure you're looking for this one however his pictures have been taken down apparently.

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=14792.msg135644#msg135644

I think this is the link but the site is gone.
http://www.martin-rusholme.co.nz/XZ-14-6-2013a.jpg

you can try emailing him.

-R

QBS

Delbert's' V seems to be wearing an '82 fork leg and associated rotor and an '83 right fork leg with associated rotor.  No reason why such a combination wouldn't work.  It would yield a net increase in rotor swept area over a stock '83 set up.

The Prophet of Doom

Rikugun

Quote from: QBS on June 15, 2016, 11:26:17 PM
Delbert's' V seems to be wearing an '82 fork leg and associated rotor and an '83 right fork leg with associated rotor.  .
QBS, what am I missing that would indicate they are different?

Jefferson, what specifically are you after with your brakes? I'm in the midst of a "proof of concept" brake experiment myself so always interested in new perspectives.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

jefferson

The thread I was looking for was the one pwrmandan linked to. You guys must know some ins and outs of searching that I don't.

What I would like to do is come up with a set of the lowers that are on that bike so the mounting of the calipers would be factory and not mess around with spacer plates etc. I have a set of 82 discs on with 83 lowers, but the spacer plates are really crude and I couldn't get things to bolt up properly and have never had good plates made.

Rikugun

The left side would work with the '82 lower and rotor but the left would possibly need an adapter plate if you wanted to use the larger '82 rotor. I say possibly only because I don't have the parts to try and therefore don't know exactly where the pads would land on the rotor. If it did work it may not take full advantage of the larger diameter rotor.

Bobby Crabb did a quick rough measurement on a RK lower leg's caliper mount hole position and they are different than on the RJ. The amount is in keeping with the difference in rotor diameter between the two models.

I have a hand written note with sizes scribbled down - RJ rotor @ 298mm and RK @ 267mm. I'm not sure how accurate these are but feel they're close.   ???  For reference the FJR13 rotor I used on my black RJ was 320mm.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Rik, that is the way it appears to me in the picture.  Of course, I could be mistaken.

Walt_M.

Just curious, I have seen an adapter plate to put 4 piston blue or gold spot R1 calipers on RZ350s. The US RZ uses the same caliper as the Vision. Has anyone given any thought to using a single 4 piston caliper on an RJ? It might not be perfect but it would be better.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Quote from: QBS on June 16, 2016, 06:26:46 PM
Rik, that is the way it appears to me in the picture.  Of course, I could be mistaken.

OK, Of the 2 pics one looks that way and the other not so much. I wondered which was the optical illusion.  ;)

QuoteHas anyone given any thought to using a single 4 piston caliper on an RJ? It might not be perfect but it would be better.

Walt, It would almost have to be better. At 9 to one, the caliper to master piston ratio is pretty bad.  The 2 pot Tokico pictured helped but still only brought it up to 11.2 to one with the stock 1/2" master.

Kenny

Hi,
    Something of interest for you , in 2003 or thereabouts I was in Vancouver B.C. visiting a friend and we went to Daytona Cycle Salvage  which was going broke , they had a couple of 82 Visions and I bought one which had 83 carbs and an 82 disc on one side and an 83.
  I was doing a D check on one of the Airbus A310's and to get the Vision it back to Trenton On.  I disassembled it and drained all the fluids and put the whole thing in boxes on the plane when we were done the check and flew it back home .  I used it for my parts bike as it was not titled, so I never rode it and I'm not sure what the brakes worked like or if the master cylinder was an 83 0r 82 version.
  FYI Cheers.
       Kenny

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: jefferson on June 16, 2016, 10:50:19 AM
The thread I was looking for was the one pwrmandan linked to. You guys must know some ins and outs of searching that I don't.

What I would like to do is come up with a set of the lowers that are on that bike so the mounting of the calipers would be factory and not mess around with spacer plates etc. I have a set of 82 discs on with 83 lowers, but the spacer plates are really crude and I couldn't get things to bolt up properly and have never had good plates made.
pwrmandan's bike is from the UK so probably an 11U.
The 11U & 16R models have twin rotors the same size as a US 83, but without slits.  this is quite different from a US 82 rotor which is larger.

Having mismatched rotor sizes would be a sure way of failing a safety inspection in this country.

Rikugun

QuoteI'm not sure what the brakes worked like or if the master cylinder was an 83 0r 82 version

Thanks for the post Kenny. I suppose if one can imagine it somebody's done it! Interesting that you found one with the 2 disc sizes. If available I may have tried the '82 master. Even better would be a 14mm master which would put the ratio at a very nice 14.7 to one. The same could be done on any '83 BTW for a stronger brake. Of course this is (nearly) all on paper so proceed at your own risk.  :)