News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Sluggish Tachometer

Started by Rikugun, June 21, 2016, 07:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

I've got two tachs from RJ's that function but seem to react slowly and/or don't fully return to zero when the engine is turned off. Any thoughts?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Never been into one of our tach's, but your problem description sounds like a mechanical internal need of lubrication issue.  Perhaps a bearing or bushing that carries the needle.

Walt_M.

I opened mine up a very long time ago, it was inop, had an open coil. Which I soldered. It is still working as of yesterday. Is there a spider or insect in there?
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Never store your speedo or tach with the face down.  There is a small reservoir of oil that is used as a damper for the needle and it can leak if improperly stored.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Thanks for the input guys. After posting I found this discussion with a very similar issue: http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=15605.0 Some questioned the TCI but I have a sense it's a lubrication issue as mentioned in this post. I have a spare TCI I can try just to see what effect if any it has the next time I'm in the shop.

Quote from: fret nut on June 22, 2016, 01:23:09 AM
Never store your speedo or tach with the face down.  There is a small reservoir of oil that is used as a damper for the needle and it can leak if improperly stored.

That's a new one on me FN, thanks for the tip. It does fit the symptoms. I have a set from a crashed bike I may tear apart. There will be no pressure to get it back together correctly as it's fairly beat up but will shed some light on the internal workings without disturbing a "good" set of gages.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

When I worked at a dealership in the 70s I was chastised by the manager for putting a speedo on the shelf with the face down.  He showed me a tach with some oil on the dial because it had been stored face down.  It takes a while for the oil to leak out.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!