Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Introducing Myself

Started by ChrisV, June 27, 2016, 03:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisV

Hi.
I am back in the Vision game.
My first experience with this cool bike was in 1983.  I had a High School friend who had one and wanted to sell it.  So he let me have it for a few days.  At the time I had a DT175 as my daily rider.  I was also putting some miles on my dads Venture 1200.  Needless to say this bike was a revelation compared to my wimpy ride and my dads monster.  I fell in love with its light agile behavior and its torquie twin.  I even took my mother for a ride on it.  She said it was way more fun than the Venture.
Unfortunately it also had a large glob of JB weld on its case that wasn't keeping the oil in as well as you might hope.  So I took a pass, but the impression was made.
Jump forward to 1991, I was in a Ducati dealership, drooling over bikes I could not afford, when I spied a Vision gathering dust in a back corner.  I asked about it, $900 later and it was mine.  It was a 82' with the standard hesitation.  I was able to adjust the flapper in the airbox to mitigate it somewhat. (pre internet solution). 
I moved to a small town in southern Nevada 1994.  After letting a couple friends ride it they both ended up with them as well. Mine developed a refusal to start when hot, (stater i think),I sold it in 1998 to buy something more dirt oriented to fit the area.

One of the friends who bought a really beat up one took it out to his farm and did a variety of unspeakable things to it.
GPz 550 front end, Open pipe exhaust, and a big old Knobby tire on the back.
He road it all over the farm that way until 2001 when it developed the starter clutch problem.  He then parked it in the barn until 6 months ago.  He is moving and asked me if I wanted it.
Its rough, but how could I say no.
I don't know if it is worth the time to tear it down, but I have an emotional connection and would like to do it.  I don't even know if there is a need for the parts if I decided it was too far gone.

I hope there is still a few of us left that love this old bike.
Chris Vogel
Current rides: 1987 TW200, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 2014 ZUMA 50.
Current Projects: 1982 XZ550, 1986 XL600R, 1980 CB750SS

Walt_M.

First off, welcome to the forum. As you can see, you have quite a project in front of you. You have to decide for yourself if you want to take it on. You will find plenty of support here but no unreasonable expectations. Probably the first thing to do is determine if the engine is sound and proceed from there.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

Welcome to the Group.  It sounds like your background is a good fit for the V, and that includes the very important emotional component.  Suggest you get a Haynes manual asap and start from there.  There are some really knowledgeable owners here and most of the V issues have been IDed'.  We are here to help you.

ChrisV

Thanks guys. I'm glad that this forum is still active.  That plays a big part in deciding what to do with this XZ.
I understand that money wise it is a bad idea.  That isn't the point. But I also can't afford a money pit.  So I think the break point may be in the $500 worth of parts range.
I'm pretty comfortable with a wrench and have quite a bit of free time to put into it.  And I love a project.
Chris Vogel

Rikugun

Welcome to the forum and oh boy do you have some work ahead of you!

I've seen old street bikes relegated to farm use before and generally they're fairly used up by then. The next step is a weathered derelict hulk left in the weeds at the edge of a field where it expired. You found yours just prior to that stage. Or, it expired in the barn and the owner had not the energy to push it to the edge of a field to abandon it. Hopefully this is coming across as merely wry rather than mean spirited!  :D

The good news is these bikes are still out there and if you find a non-runner, often can be had for next to nothing. This also addresses your question regarding stripping it down for parts. I admire your passion for the bike but don't invest too much time if it's a lost cause. You can find a "project" Vision with an easier starting point. Either way, I hope you stick around for a while.

P.S. I like the last air-cooled generation GPz 550 front end on your bike. That looks like a very interesting addition. I'm very curious how that would affect certain handling quirks.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

ChrisV

The previous owner told me that it was running, and carbureting, well when it got parked.

I remember when he first put the GPz front end on.  He did it for the duel disks. But he told me that he felt like the steering was quicker.  The anti dive system also changed behavior some.
Chris Vogel

QBS

Is the engine free, does the crankshaft rotate?

Rikugun

Do the forks hit the tank when the bars are turned to full lock?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

From my perspective much depends on how much challenge you are willing to accept.  There is much you can do without spending big money, but there will likely be some things you will need to spend money on, and it may go a bit over your set budget.  The sky is the limit and it is then up to you to keep the expense to a minimum.

Another aspect is whether you are interested in making a "custom" or doing more of a restoration.  Either way the bike needs to be taken apart to be totally cleaned and maybe painted before reassembly.  You will have lots of time to ponder your potential goals, and likely change your mind a time or three before you are done.

Make it run, but before that I suggest you go through the process of fixing the starter clutch and starter motor.  You are will get an education in the process of going through this bike, and that will serve you well for many years to come.  I think most of the information you will need is here somewhere.  Good luck with this inspiration, and may it turn out better than you expect.  Seriously.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

ChrisV

Quote from: Rikugun on June 27, 2016, 03:55:31 PM
Nope, clearance is good.  As far as the GPz front end is concerned I am more concerned about the breaks master cylinder having the volume to drive the extra caliper and anti dive system. 
My buddy who put it on there claimed it worked fine, but he was know to have a farmers definition of "fine".  (which sometimes means, "I didn't die doing it")

Chris Vogel

ChrisV

Quote from: QBS on June 27, 2016, 03:36:11 PM
Is the engine free, does the crankshaft rotate?

Haven't checked yet.  The transmission is free and shifts. Found that out rolling it into the trailer.  I will put a couple squirts of oil down the plug holes and let it sit for a while before I try and move the pistons. 
The climate down here in southern Nevada is extremely dry.  Rust just isn't an issue.  On the other hand, the heat plays havoc on plastic and rubber.
I just finished bring back a 1987 TW200 that had sat on a shed for 11 years.  The heat bakes all of the seals to rock.  Payed $500, Just over $300 in parts, I don't count time spent since I see it as therapy.  If you haven't ridden Yamahas little TW clown bike you owe it to yourself to give it a try.  It really is a minibike for grown ups.
Chris Vogel

Rikugun

QuoteAs far as the GPz front end is concerned I am more concerned about the breaks master cylinder having the volume to drive the extra caliper and anti dive system.

I assumed it had the Kawasaki 5/8" master since it has the Kawasaki calipers.  Look for either "1/2" or "5/8" cast on the outside of the master. Sometimes it's underneath but usually near the outlet or the area where the piston travels.

If it has the XZ 1/2" master it will result in a squishy lever but very good hydraulic advantage - too much really. Compatible 5/8" masters are plentiful and cheap on E-bay.

EDIT
Upon closer inspection of your pictures, it does not look like the GPz master.

QuoteIf you haven't ridden Yamahas little TW clown bike you owe it to yourself to give it a try.  It really is a minibike for grown ups.
Yamaha's answer to Honda's "Fat Cat".  :) I wonder how much the Rokon influenced the styling of both.

ChrisV

I think you are right.  I just assumed that he slid the fork tubes into the Yamaha triple clamps.  But it looks like the clamps and bars are all Kawasaki.  I'm surprized that the races and bearing would matchup.  I guess that explains why the gauges were in a box.
Chris Vogel

fret not

Chris, check the steering bearings to see if they are the original type of loose balls, or the tapered roller type.  You really need the tapered roller type, and they are not very expensive.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

pinholenz

Great looking project.

The purists here seem to like to rip everything down and rebuilt it with new parts and a glossy paint job. That's fine but it can be a long time before you get any pleasure out of actually riding the bike.

An alternative is do the bare minimum to get it running well and not worry how it looks. Enjoy the ride and solving the problems as they come. Then, if you must, rip it down and return it to concours condition confident that there will be no nasty surprises that you have to pour money into to justify the rest of the money you have already invested.

Just a thought
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

QuoteI think you are right.  I just assumed that he slid the fork tubes into the Yamaha triple clamps.  But it looks like the clamps and bars are all Kawasaki.
Yes -  triples, forks and handlebars are A model GPz. Switchgear, brake master, clutch perch, and headlight are Vision. The more I look at this the more I want to swap my Vision's front end.

ChrisV

Quote from: Rikugun on June 27, 2016, 03:55:31 PM
I was moving the bike around the shop and noticed that the choke lever just touches the top of the tank at full left lock.  I think I can adjust the bars or switch gear to clear, but, this brings up another issue.

Utah came through and gave me a title to the 1986 XL600R project that I have been sitting on for about a year.  It was about half disassembled with the intent of parting it out since it was a barn parts bike.  But with a shiny new title in hand it is going to get the rebuild it deserves.

Hence the Vision got moved to the waiting area of the shop space.  It will get a little love when I'm waiting for parts and such,  but sorry old girl I'm taking Honda to the prom.

I feel like such a two timer.
Chris Vogel

Walt_M.

That actually makes good sense. Your Vision was going to be quite the project just to find out if it would even be worth starting. Good luck with the XL.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

From a very selfish perspective I'm a little bummed. I am curious about the GPz front end and how it affects handling and ride quality. On a related note, I looked at All Balls Racing's fork conversion charts the other day. It seems the models joined here may not be compatible bearing/race wise. This of course raised more questions that won't be soon answered. Woe is me.  :)

Good luck with the Honda BTW.  :D

ChrisV

The Vision isn't dead just yet.  It is just getting lower priority.  Once i get the XL head sent off and the frame welded up I will have a little time for the XZ.
First thing will be to get it cleaned up some and the starter off for a look see.
Chris Vogel