News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Source for OEM air filter

Started by skucera, August 14, 2016, 10:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skucera

Two years ago when I bought my Vision from a guy at work, I had no problem finding an OEM air filter on eBay, and it was very reasonably priced with free shipping from some Yamaha dealer in Florida. It's time for another, and they're unobtainable.  I see foam alternatives listed from a company called Uni... any idea if they're any good?  Does anyone have a line on an OEM paper filter replacement?

Has anyone gotten desperate enough to try pod filters?  If so, how's that working out?  I'm reluctant because I have the 1983 airbox mod that prevents the Vision stumble very well, and I'm not wanting to get rid of that.

I see I can get a K&N filter for the Vision for about $80 plus shipping.  That seems expensive, but would be maintainable.  I just remember the daily maintenance for a new filter that a friend of mine had on his MG Midget years ago, respraying oil on it every morning for the first few days... easy enough on a Midget where you only have to open the hood, but more of a pain on a Vision with having to remove the tank to get at the airbox....

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Scott

jefferson

I have never heard of the daily oiling that your friend did. Once they are oiled well and the excess has drained off they are good to go until the next cleaning time. I like the K&N over the Uni, but they do cost more. I suspect the Uni will eventually end up crumbling as I have seen foam filters do.

The Prophet of Doom

The UNI filter is good.  Re-usable.  Fits 82 and 83 bikes.  Mine still good since about 2008 or 2009 (most of it not riding)
Needs to be oiled, but I don't think daily would be needed. It's a fairly open foam.

Rikugun

I bought a K&N for another vintage bike many years ago. It was expensive but in retrospect worth it as it has lasted so long. Having said that I "cheaped out" and went with the Uni Filter for my Vision.  It hasn't been as long but more than a few years and no sign of the foam deteriorating yet. My feeling is foam is not as good as the OEM pleated paper for filtration but probably adequate if kept lightly oiled. 
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

The thing about foam filters is you oil them after washing them.  And you wash them when they get dirty.  If you ride only on paved roads it may take months to get the filter 'dirty', but if you ride in dusty or dirty conditions you may possibly need to clean and oil your filter daily, but that would be extremely severe conditions.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Agreed. Also, sometimes how they're cleaned is damaging. If harsh chemicals are used a foam element's life may be shortened.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

I have a UNI in mine. I haven't ridden it since I swapped out the pods yesterday. I did start it though and it fired right up. I don't think I could recommend pods.
Whale oil beef hooked!

skucera

Alright, it sounds like the Uni filter will work.  I've had foam air filters on mowers and chainsaws... they work fine.  Thanks for the assessments.

Scott

Kenny

Hi,
    I've had my Uni-filters for 12 years and have no issues with them. Before that I had one that was an earlier style & part of the base foam became lodged in one of the throttle plates , they did a redesign after that & sent me a new one.
      Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

§pace_§uitor

Hmm.....do y'all have a part number?  (Should note, I have an 82 un-modded box)

Personally have always wanted a reason to try out a K&N filter...neither the website nor store catalog have an air filter listing, merely Oil [ KN-145 ] ...so I also used a web feature requesting the part.  I'll keep you posted...
"I will sit right down
Drifting into my solitude over my head,
Waiting for the gift of sound and vision..."
-D. Bowie

Walt_M.

The unifilter is NU 2278. Check Ebay, there are a lot of them.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

The foam filters do a better job of removing the finer dust particles as well as the larger ones, but the K&N will keep out the larger pieces.

Rikugun

That's interesting, I'd heard the exact opposite. Admittedly I've never bothered to investigate my presupposition but felt the higher K&N price alone justified my prejudice.  :-[

fret not

Well, the K&N is probably more expensive to make, but that doesn't make it a better filter.  I prefer the foam filters for  being reusable, or the pleated paper ones for one time use.

Walt_M.

From back in my dirt riding days, the K&Ns were preferred over foam due their greater surface area. They would take a lot more dirt and still run where foam would choke out. For normal street riding that should not be a problem. FWIW, I still have the OEM paper filter I put in 13 yrs ago. Except for the deteriorated foam edging, I could still use it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Yup, K&N's are pleated and have more area than a foam element. They are also reusable - just clean and re-oil. What I can't speak to is which will  stop a smaller particle although fret seems confident it's the foam. I'll go with that.  :)

QuoteExcept for the deteriorated foam edging, I could still use it.
That reminds me. I had an issue with my Uni filter's fit in the airbox. I don't recall how I stumbled upon this but with the airbox off, you could reach in through the boots that slip over the carb air horn and easily slide the filter around. The filter's foam sealing strip was in good condition BTW. I thought perhaps there was an issue with the airbox but trying it in a spare box resulted in the same poor fit. It seemed as if the filter frame needed to be taller or the sealing strip much thicker than it is in order to keep the element firmly in place.

fret not

Many ,if not most, modern bikes come with foam filters nowadays.  Does any factory supply a K&N type filter?

Rikugun

I don't know for sure but I would tend to doubt it. If by your question you are suggesting since some new bikes come with foam and the Uni filter is foam, therefore foam is superior I'm not sure I'd agree completely. I'd at least want to know the performance metrics by which they were measured.

I've seen claims that K&N's filter better if properly oiled. Foam on the other hand can flow more air. Depending on the cell structure/size they may flow quite a lot of air i.e. not filter to the same micron level as paper or cloth. Cost is probably a considerable factor in the factory's decision and perhaps maintenance as well.

Since the OEM and K&N's are no longer available that currently leaves the Uni brand making this discussion largely academic.  :) Unless someone is aware of any other commercially available element?