News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

My other V twin

Started by vl5150, August 17, 2016, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vl5150

I'm having fun with the Vision, but I do have a big brother V Twin to even things out.
It's a 2000 Buell Cyclone.  It's similar to the Vision in that it's not too common out on the road.  A bit of a quirky bike for guys like us.  It uses a souped up Sportster engine.  It vibes much more than the Vision though, but makes much more power. 

ChrisV

Nice, :D
A Buell is sort of on my bucket list of bikes to own, just haven't seen "the one" yet.
A cheap Lightning would do the trick.  ;)
Chris Vogel
Current rides: 1987 TW200, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 2014 ZUMA 50.
Current Projects: 1982 XZ550, 1986 XL600R, 1980 CB750SS

Rikugun

With my first quick glance of the left side I thought I was seeing an engine guard over the primary cover....then I realized that was the shifter I was looking at!  :-[   :)

I like the simple and "sporty" styling of this bike. I like that oil cooler too, is that an add-on?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

vl5150

It's a Spurgin oil cooler.  I bought this bike with less than 3K miles so I wanted to make sure the air cooled engine wouldn't self destruct in the hot Florida air.  It's an interesting piece of kit as it's got thermostat control baked into the design.  I was going to go with the regular row oil cooler, but this one kind of uses newer technology.

I was looking at Lightnings and other XB models as well, but I settled on the tube frame for long term support.  The tube frames use the same engine as Harley used in the Sportster at the time so parts are plentiful and cheap.  The XB's deviated from the Sportster so the cases and cams, etc are close, but not exact.  The Cyclone that I have has a single 40MM carb that's right there on the side so it's an "Analog" bike like the Vision.  The later tube frame Buell's and the XB's all use fuel injection and I don't want to mess with sensors or worry if parts dry up in the future.  The forks on my Cyclone are regular sliders and are services the same as the Vision.   I don't want to learn upside down forks at this point, lol.  So I can go on, but I like the Cyclone because it uses the technology I'm familiar with and know I can support.

The engine on these being a 45 degree shared crank pin Vtwin is completely out of balance and wants to escape the chassis.  So I added some beefier motor plates and links to keep things from breaking.  Other than that, it's an interesting bike and compliments the Vision very well.