News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Finding a brake solution

Started by vl5150, August 17, 2016, 10:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

Thanks, I wondered about that.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

vl5150

The new Galfer brake pads finally arrived today and slapped them in and did some riding to bed them in.  My analysis: With the FZ1 master cylinder the braking power is immense compared to stock, but with a similar feel to the stock lever because of the 16mm master cylinder bore.  So it it a bit on the wooden side like stock, but you actually stop.  For me, I'm happy with it and will keep it because my FZ1 master cylinder is like new and it has the adjustable lever and I brought it in closer to the grip. I should have done this a long time ago.

Rikugun

Nice going. I'm thinking you're in the high 12's as far as piston ratios are concerned? I'm guessing you could have been a bit more aggressive using that opposing piston caliper but you can't argue with results.  :) Going to the adjustable lever can really change the feel by putting your fingers in a more advantageous position.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

vl5150

Just as a followup on this..My brake pads have fully broken in and I'd rating braking now as excellent. Possibly a bit better than my Buell Cyclone in absolute power, but with a bit less feel.  Much better than my '84 Nighthawk with twin rotors.  I'd rate the stock brakes I had running with the Galfer SS brake line as "marginal".

vl5150

Follow up to the follow up...

I recently re-did the brake caliper on my Buell Cyclone and I had to go up to a 16mm master cylinder from a 12.7 so I traded with the Vision.
Reducing to this size gives it better feel and is less wooden.  The 99-2002 Buell's have genuine Nissan master cylinders and work with the Vision as long as the blade connectors are used for the front brake.  The mirror thread is M10x1.25 RHT.