News:

Main Menu

stator running hot

Started by glenc44, December 11, 2012, 06:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

I believe it was the oil pump rotors from a Honda 750 that was used to upgrade the oil pump. A spacer was needed to take up the gap. I'm pretty sure I have one up there in a box somewhere from the Team Good Times guys in Tx.

Both of my bearing failures were specific to the rear rod bearing and when the engine was getting hot and then when it was hot. Spent some time looking at the oil supply chart, but saw nothing that was obvious as to why it was always the rear rod bearing. Only thing that I can think of is the machining of the oil passages in the crank may have been incomplete and faulty.

injuhneer

Quote from: jefferson on June 30, 2019, 06:37:12 PM
I believe it was the oil pump rotors from a Honda 750 that was used to upgrade the oil pump. A spacer was needed to take up the gap. I'm pretty sure I have one up there in a box somewhere from the Team Good Times guys in Tx.

Both of my bearing failures were specific to the rear rod bearing and when the engine was getting hot and then when it was hot. Spent some time looking at the oil supply chart, but saw nothing that was obvious as to why it was always the rear rod bearing. Only thing that I can think of is the machining of the oil passages in the crank may have been incomplete and faulty.

Thanks. Info helps!  :D

It is interesting that the rods are fed by a separate passage through the end of the crank rather than picking up the passages for the main bearings. That would subject them to the condition of the seal on the end of the crank.

But I digress since this is a "stator" thread.  :D
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ