Mechanical Seal/Water Pump Overhaul (**PLEASE ADVISE**)

Started by §pace_§uitor, August 21, 2016, 06:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

§pace_§uitor

Hello, Riders.  Glad to see this board is still active and keeping the faith.  I need your helps like never before, and the archives are just not cutting it.

Here in Potland, Oregon the summer cruising hours are burning away while I'm scratching my head and sweating my nuts in the shop, trying to bring my baby back to life.

So I had the side cover apart and overhauled it completely;  Thermostat, bearing, oil seal, mechanical seal, and the black/white seal which hugs the impeller.  I also replaced the snaprings because I overstretched the old ones using improper tooling.)

I paid a dude at a shop $20 to press the mechanical seal into the housing.  He used the Yamabond #4 like instructed.  It did appear to be pressed in fully, marvelous.  The only uncertainty I have about THAT aspect of the project is the purpose and orientation of two notches found inside the black rubber cone of the mechanical seal.  (Mine do not seem to twist apart, as suggested in an archived thread I read)

I couldn't seem to coax the final seal into the housing any further than it would let me.  Somehow the spring which rides around the shaft on the inside of the seal got a little stressed out, and unfortunately is the only old part not still part of the project--I remember destroying the hell out of that seal, trying to get it out.

The bearing just slipped over top of that and it was difficult to tell if it was flush with the housing--or if it even needed to be.

With the slightest inward pressure on the plastic gear, each of the snap rings found their grooves exposed and fit into place.  It all seemed like a snug fit.

But all in all I followed the shop manual and workbook, took the greatest time and care to clean surfaces and do a thorough proper job.  Replaced every O-ring I found, finally installed the thing and let the Yamabond cure overnight.

So WHY'S MY SHIT STILL LEAKING?  FFFFFFFFFFF!!
This is bad for me, you guys.  I am late, late, LATE for a very important TEAPARTY!

I removed the gas tank and breather bolt and began pouring 50/50 mixture into the radiator.  I reached for a b :o ng rip while the bubbles settled and when I turned back to the bike, she was pissing right out of that weep hole that started this whole problem in the first place!

I am at my wits end, and tired of time-wasting episodes, like the Brake Linkage Fiasco coupled with the Momentary Footpeg Bolt Tug-O-War........I have a propensity for achieving setbacks!

Any helpful thoughts about my leaking weep-hole would be appreciated.  Or feel free to point and laugh.    ;D
"I will sit right down
Drifting into my solitude over my head,
Waiting for the gift of sound and vision..."
-D. Bowie

fret not

Mechanical things don't care how you feel or what you think, . . . . they just ARE.  So, now that the seal is leaking there must be a simple reason.  Somehow the coolant is escaping from the system, so I think either a part is incorrectly installed or there is a hole where it shouldn't be. 

DO NOT PLUG THE WEEP HOLE!  If you plug the weep hole the coolant will go into the oil in the crankcase, and quickly ruin your rod and crank bearings.   :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

§pace_§uitor

Thanks Fret Nut!

Yep, I sure do know and believe all that you said to be true!

I was hoping one of the salty dogs would have a good estimation of where I went wrong.  And I suppose I was stalling on having to yank it all off again, but simply can't imagine what to do differently.

:-X

As I seem to recall, the weephole channel runs out from the circumferential face to which the Yamabond is applied, which is the mating surface painted with a blue stripe around the seal.  Perhaps the guy didn't use enough glue?
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

§pace_§uitor

"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

Walt_M.

I was hoping you would see that as it was meant. As for your leak, I have yet to do that repair but I can only advise that you have missed something and you will have to take it back apart to see what it is. And, of course you will have to get new seals. I know it sucks but it is what you will have to do.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

I have replaced the water pump seal on my '83 twice in the last 32 years.  Both times I did it with only the help of the Haynes manual.  I was successful with no leaks both times.  My advice is that the Haynes is adequate to guide you through the process with a high probability of success.  Something is not assembled correctly.  Redo the work very thoughtfully.  IIRC, I used a large socket to drive the spring lip seal into place.

§pace_§uitor

Well, I took it apart today.  Seems the oil seal ( with spring) was not seated fully in its' spot.

Put it back together, fingers crossed for the morrow.

"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

Rikugun

Did I miss something in the first post - what's up with all the broken bits and JB Weld repairs?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

§pace_§uitor

I forgot to mention that a landlord knocked my bike over a couple years ago, it cracked and dented the side cover around the clutch adjuster hole.

So now seemd like an appropriate opportunity to fix it.
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

§pace_§uitor

Installed last of the new O-rings, Got her fired up on what little fuel remained and eagerly took her for a spin, put in $10 at 7/11 and after fueling I noticed a large fresh puddle beneath the bike.  Gasoline!   :o   :-[

It only seems to drip while.the bike is running, coming out around the kickstand.  I took care to not damage the petcock and only trimmed the bitter end of the smaller petcock.hose......  And so it's true that the knuckle bone IS connected to the monkey bone ! 🍖
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

Rikugun

I'm not sure where you have the carb overflow tube routed but I suppose that could be a possibility. If it is coming from the overflow that would indicate one (or both) of the inlet valves is stuck open. How did it run during your ride?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

§pace_§uitor

It progressively had trouble maintaining zpeeds of +50 when the gas was low but seemed to rip just fine on the trip back.

I feel like it must be something small.and easy that got knocked out of the way whilst fiddling to re-seat the tank.  Will have a closer look after.work today.
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

§pace_§uitor

Interesting--everything appears correctly attached and the leak did not re-appear within a 5-minute warm-up/loop around the building.  A fellow here suggests perhaps because it was so hot last night, somehow moisture and humidity forced it to leak??   From where?? Well, he is not such a clueless fellow as myself, still his explaination does.not satisfy me.

Without leafing.my manuals again, someone care to explain.the optimal routing for carpb overflow? Back into the tank?

My continued thanks to anyone who cares to care...
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

The Prophet of Doom

The carb overflows go down by the back of the engine.  It's not all that uncommon for the carb float valves to stick one day, and work the next after a bit of fuel has flowed through.

§pace_§uitor

It occurs to me that the petcock was still set to PRIME during that Fuel Extrvaganza Event.  Could that cause an overflow event during fueling? There no longer seems to be a leak, not even a drop of oil.

It seems my final/current concern is the sudden loss of brake indicator. It was working before/while I had to fiddle with the linkage for the the rear switch, no longer lights up for the foot OR hand brake (running lights, yes). What ties the two together?
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

QBS

Does your bike have an inline fuel filter installed?  If not, install one at your earliest convenience.  Your fuel leakage sounds like unfiltered trash in one or both of your carb float valves.

§pace_§uitor

I don't believe there is any filter.  I have been using Seafoam in the gas, because it sat so long with the coolant problem.  It realy did the trick, too! It used to bog out with throttle but feels good now.

I just found this melted hose on the left side, melted against exhaust joint.

Good news is the brake light returned without even trying.

Ain't love grand?
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

Walt_M.

There are two bulbs in the tail.  It is possible that both brake light filaments are bad. Less likely but also possible is bad switches,  both or wiring. Should not be the ground as it is common to the taillight.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Those two amber colored hoses (one melted) look to be the carb vent hoses. You want to correct that and ensure it hasn't sealed itself closed by the melting.