News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Mechanical Seal/Water Pump Overhaul (**PLEASE ADVISE**)

Started by §pace_§uitor, August 21, 2016, 06:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

§pace_§uitor

Yah she started acting a bit wonky today, losing power, feeling like it wanted to reach for a 5th gear.  I was hoping it was because I added too strong a dose of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas before I left work, but when I went to top off the gas, she barely took a gallon.  I even flipped the petcock to RESERVE, in hopes it might draw pre-Marvel mixture but alas, the problem persists.

Thanks, Rikugun!   She is melted pretty good,  I will bet that you are right.  I will slice that tube tonight to restore airflow, and replace the hoses this weekend when I've got time and dollars.
"I will sit right down
Drifting into my solitude over my head,
Waiting for the gift of sound and vision..."
-D. Bowie

§pace_§uitor

Dang, I sliced off the bad section of hose and rode 12 miles, but it still only has half-power.  It can barely reach 50, and is not very happy about it.

but..smoke and pressure from both tailpipes suggests that both cyl's are firing....right?   

I wonder what could be wrong...

"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

The Prophet of Doom

See if both cylinders are hot.  The exhaust is linked so both cylinders go into each pipe.  Smoke and pressure means nothing

§pace_§uitor

Took turns disconnecting spark plugs.  Both cyl's definitely firing independently.

I will replace both plugs soon...I seem to remember feeling lazy last time, and only changed the easy one.   ::) :-X

What are the symptoms of a YICS failure?

In the meanwhile, I'm going to tell myself that it's the MMO..., My bottles never seem to have a listed ratio, but now I'm reading that most dudes who use it in their bike only take one or two caps-ful....I actually poured in about 10 oz, so all you see from me right now is a BiiiiG goofy smile.
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

QuoteWhat are the symptoms of a YICS failure?
If it's still on the bike it's a symptom of failure!  :)
(Sorry to all the YICS fan boys BTW) It's probably easier to remove it, plug the engine ports and see if things improve. Symptoms could vary but may include lean condition at various RPM's, loss of power, and running hot.

I'm going to tell myself that it's the MMO...dudes who use it in their bike only take one or two caps-full....I actually poured in about 10 oz,....
Well that certainly helps explain the engine smoke.  ;)

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rikugun on August 31, 2016, 07:52:36 AM
(Sorry to all the YICS fan boys BTW) It's probably easier to remove it, plug the engine ports and see if things improve. Symptoms could vary but may include lean condition at various RPM's, loss of power, and running hot.
I don't think there are ANY fan boys for a leaking YICS !!!

Rikugun

You are probably right - no fans of leaking YICS.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

§pace_§uitor

Well, my problems continue to multiply, as my battery failed within minutes of refilling with Premium. 

I managed to get it started again by turning 180° and rolling back down the hill I was driving, pop-started in 2nd gear like a fkking BOSS.   8)  I made it to the hardware store where I needed plastic tubing.

Power had been reduced to clicking-status, and would not come to life, would not take a jump from my Diehard portable OR the H.Element. That's right, I charged it from a running car and it still would only sing the CLICKLICK Song.

So in my rush to action, rather than simply test/charge/test the battery I own (Interstate AGM), I called Interstate up and had them pour me a new one....at like, 6:30pm on a Friday.  ...so, they didn't even have time to seal and charge it before handing it off to me!  She was talking about the need to offgas, so I left it open while I drove back to the shop. Popped it shut and charged it up. Came back later in the night, light was green so we absconded to the scene of the bike.  The first button push she obly clicked and I thought I was done-for, but she came to life on the second try.  The 2-mile ride to safety was as lifeless as it's been lately.  Just weak, weak, weak.

I know I've got to test and probe.  I've got my fingers crossed hoping it's the stator............I'll offer a free ride to anyone who comes up with the right guess!  :-*

[[Well, I was only thinking about getting the bike moved.  I am dealing with a plethora of mechanical/starter electrical problems on the motorcoach I live in, so freaked-out rash decisions are kind of par for the course in my life, lately.]]

I replaced the stator + R/R a few years ago.  Fusebox seems to be the original, and R/R is in its' normal spot.

So...having just replaced the seals and W.P, would that send something else into shock?  What about the oil pump?

Oh jeez, all I want to do is ride around in circles, and, I don't know, GET TO WORK, is that too much to ask?

"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

fret not

Have you checked the flow of fuel from the Fuel Pump?

§pace_§uitor

"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

§pace_§uitor

Today I ruled out the stator, checkecked connections, even probed the side-stand relay.

I swapped out R/R for an older one I had tucked away,....the lack of power persists!
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

The Prophet of Doom

Have you thought about following up Fret Net's very sensible suggestion?

Also, I'd be checking the advance if you have access to a timing light.  The TCI is not adjustable, but have been known on occasions to not advance properly even though sparking fine at idle.

§pace_§uitor

I haven't inspected the carburetion situation just yet, but it seems the last place to go.

I was firstly concerned with why my battery failed to hold its' charge.  But if the SF and MMO did their jobs, they probably knocked loose some crud and make adjustment necessary.  It has always been a rich-running bike, and after chit-chatting with another buddy of mine, I think she may be flooding with excess fuel, causing sluggish, wound-out behaviour.

OK, I'll admit it:  I'm scared to touch it.  I can't help it--I just have always been shy about trying new things, but I've messed with damn near everything else, and my hands are already dirty.... I'm just scared I'll do it wrong, and she'll never start up again!   :-[  ::)   :o
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

§pace_§uitor

Today I took off the tank and airbox, replaced spark plugs and the melted overflow hoses.

I used a can of solvent to clean up the throttle body.  I happened to have it running while spraying it down, (using the cleaner as fuel) when I noticed the motor responding to the mist when I would spray near the front carb.

So........an air leak?

And because a lot is never enough, I then took to adjusting idle speed before toying with the carb-sync rod.  Then, I took it for a ride and fiddled with them a bunch more while stop-starting.

....it was tough to tell if there was much or any improvement....  I found that sending the sync-rod too far rearward, the engine speed would begin to raise.  I a no longer certain where the adjuster was supposed to sit.......the whole situation is just LOL-worthy now.

Please tell me I don't have to order a rebuild kittt....
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

fret not

It depends on whether the "fuel" mist was only going into the open carb or if it was being sucked into some other entrance to the intake flow.  Mist being sucked in near the butterfly shaft seals will cause the RPM to rise.

The idea is to keep the 'fuel' away from the carb intake, and only allow it to enter via leaks in the intake tract (cracked carb boots, leaking butterfly shaft seals, or other leaks).

§pace_§uitor

I was working on it from below...the mist was definitely getting in through the bottom, rather than the open top.  It did not seem to happen while spraying around the rear chamber.

One other concerning detail I noticed when I replaced the small vacuum hose that comes out at the front of the airbox and connects to the top of the front cylinder-- that tiny hose had a gross, off-white foamy fluid in it, with more evidence of the gunk inside the motor, there.
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

cvincer

§pace_§uitor

Ah, well I hope to have solved that problem with the original repair.

Best way to clean, shy of dismantling?  (Read:  what sould I squirt in there?)  :o
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

§pace_§uitor

;D $4 Manometer from surplus shop supplies!
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie