News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Mechanical Seal/Water Pump Overhaul (**PLEASE ADVISE**)

Started by §pace_§uitor, August 21, 2016, 06:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

§pace_§uitor

Ok, so I found a complete one on eBay for $30 bucks, and it's in the same state as me, so I should see it within the week!

Anyone taking bets on whether or not the seals are already blown?   :-X ::)
"I will sit right down
Drifting into my solitude over my head,
Waiting for the gift of sound and vision..."
-D. Bowie

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

For Space's sake I hope it's a go. The take away for me thus far is learning the impellers apparently develop cracks.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

§pace_§uitor

Quote from: Walt_M. on November 14, 2017, 04:24:56 AM
Are you an optimist or a pessimist?

I tend to vascillate between mindsets, but generally think of myself as an optimist with bad luck.
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

§pace_§uitor

"The Life and Plight of a DIY Mechanic."

I have been loath to share my progress, and here is why.

It seems that my bike develops new problems whenever she spends any length of time sitting, awaiting repairs.

So I managed to Frankenstein my new sidecover after cleaning up all the Yamaslop the last guy got everywhere.   I learned that the thermostat housing must be slightly different between the 82 and 83 models, because the old one didn't quite fit on the new one.  I managed to finally round out the one of the phillip's heads on the thermy housing trying to open it back up, ended up having to grind the head off with a Dremel cutting wheel.  Long story short, I got it all cleaned up and installed, cured.

At last, I filled the radiator. 

THENNN I went to the oil side, and used a small squirt bottle to install about 1.5 pints of kerosene, forwith to flush that abhorrent chocolate-y mess from the internals.  It was at this point that NEW PROBLEM #1 presented itself.

NEW PROBLEM #1 is a seemingly low-charge condition on the battery, despite the fact that I had left it clamped up to the charger overnight.  Oddly enough, before starting to work I had noticed the charger lights flashing yellow to indicate a terminal reversal although they were NOT reversed and they HAD clicked on appropriately when initially connected.  Nevertheless, I quickly swapped it out with my charged spare and it did the same thing. .........LONG STORY SHORT, she won't turn over with any kind of speed, even when directly jumped with a running car.

I have experienced this condition before, but cannot remember whether it was fixed by R/R or by new stator.  My first bet is on the stator being cooked by the coolant mixture.  ORRR perhaps I was cooking it right then in there, with no oil and just a bottle of flammable solvent!   :laugh:   But when you're a guy like me with a box full of broken volt meters, all bets are off.  The fuses are all intact, so whatchya, whatchya, whatchya want?   :laugh: :o 8)

NEW PROBLEM #2 had been lingering in the recesses of my mind since this affair started, but I have been afraid to say its' name for fear of manifestation.  HEAD GASKET.  I prefer to study only one demonic confrontation at a time and after 5+ years of ownership I'm still unfamiliar with what to expect inside one of these motors, but on automobiles I have torn two 4-cyl engines apart down to their H.G.'s, and it is never a pretty sight.  Do these V-twins operate in a similar fashion?  Once I decided the battery situation was a bust, I drained the oil/kero/coolant mixture, but I'll be DAMNED if it didn't seem like new fresh coolant was trickling out as part of the mixture.  Only a second inspection will inform me later, but...................

..........if an engine teardown is in my emminently forseeable future, I will sell the HELL out of this bike on Craigslist for $500 and spend the rest of my life crying about how I lost my first girlfriend.

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT.  :-X
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

QBS

Do you know for sure that your starter motor is not full of oil?  Have you put 12v directly on the starter motor power wire attachment lug?  Do you have a Haynes manual?

§pace_§uitor

Thank you QBS.

Yes, I have the Haynes Guide ans also a workshop manual.

I forgot to mention how I pulled the nose cone off the starter to clean and lube, spent some time futzing with it to go back together straight.  Then at some point during troubleshoot, seemed to have momentarily shorted the motor to itself via aligator clips and a cordless drill battery with nails e-taped to the contacts. 

So once THAT THING stopped responding, I DID manage to dig out an OLD, old starter labeled LEAKY by a previous mechanic.

Why do you ask?   :police:
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

§pace_§uitor

Today I yanked the drain plug and was pleased that only a small amount of dribbled out, which allays my fear on the head gasket.

Nice call on the oily starter, QBS.  Thinking back on my ancient history of V-probs, this makes perfect sense.  I reckon I'll order up a rebuild kit from eBay for $24.......unless one of y'all has one to get rid of.  ;)
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

QBS

Before starter motor reassembly make certain that a spring lip design oil seal is installed.  A good independent automotive alternator/generator repair shop may be able to install new brushes on your old brush plate.  That's really all you need.  I've used such shops twice on my '83.  Make certain that your planetary gears are properly aligned.

§pace_§uitor

"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

QBS

Can't really say regarding the seal that's included because can't tell from the picture.  If the oil seal in this kit is an exact replacement for the oil seal installed by the factory, then it is probably not a spring lip design. Suggest you research this forum for references about starter motor seals and, single and or double spring lip design seals.  Aside from the seal design uncertainty, the kit appears to be ok.  All you really need are new brushes on your old brush plate and a spring lip seal.

fiat-doctor

Yes, look it up on-line and you will find a picture of a spring lip seal.  It's most likely that the one in the kit is ok...  looks like the same one I used.

It's easy to slightly roll back the inner lip of the seal with a finger and you will see it if it's there.  Just look on-line for a picture and you will see what you are looking for.

§pace_§uitor

Yes, right.  And now I'm wondering where I can find a local upgraded part, because I am SO TIRED of fixing problems in my life that I already fixed once or twice.   :-[
"I will sit right down
-D. Bowie

fiat-doctor

the seal in the kit may well be a spring lip type....  if it's not then any bearing supply house or probably a NAPA auto parts store can get you one that is.  You can find the dimensions of the seal either on this site (have seen it before but can't remember where) or off the new seal or the old seal...   it's written like 10x18x7  (those are random numbers!)  the last dimension is the width and you can use one that is SLIGHTLY wider than stock but the first two dimensions must be exact.  Its really pretty simple