Yamaha seems to have not learned its starter motor oil seal lesson

Started by QBS, August 24, 2016, 12:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Was reading the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News, specifically the Letters feature.  The owner of a 2008 FJR1300A reported that his engine would barely turn over in spite of a new battery and clean electrical connections.  "After tearing the bike half apart to get to the starter", so as to remove and inspect the starter motor, he discovered that the starter motor was oil filled, and the brushes and commutator slots were gummed up with oil and carbon dust.  His report certainly sounded familiar to me.  He said that he replaced the seal with an aftermarket item and all is well.  How sad and unacceptable that Yamaha still can't figure out how to put a proper oil seal in its starter motors.

The Prophet of Doom

Rikugun

Has it been shown to be a failing common to that model or just a random failure within the projected norm?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

George R. Young

As I recall, the seal in question was a single lip seal. It failed after a couple of years, and I replaced it with a double lip seal, which worked for the next 18 years or so.

Yamaha saved about 4 cents by using a single lip seal.

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: George R. Young on August 24, 2016, 09:19:21 AM
As I recall, the seal in question was a single lip seal. It failed after a couple of years, and I replaced it with a double lip seal, which worked for the next 18 years or so.

Yamaha saved about 4 cents by using a single lip seal.
And yet when buying a new bike if they asked if you wanted to pay 4cents or even $4 more for the one that didn't break down in a couple of years, you would pay it.
I don't get the japanese