News:

Main Menu

Oil Pump Cover Leak?

Started by turbosteve84, September 13, 2016, 05:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbosteve84

I have fluid leaking from what the parts diagram describes as an Oil Pump Cover (see attached image. The red arrow points to the leak). Is this simply a case of removing the six allen head bolts on the cover and replacing the red O-ring?

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

fret not

That looks like the "middle drive" on the left side.  The place where the swing arm / drive shaft connects to the engine.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret nut on September 14, 2016, 01:57:43 AM
That looks like the "middle drive" on the left side.  The place where the swing arm / drive shaft connects to the engine.
Yes, the oil pump is behind the clutch side cover.

The Yamaha service manual has a whole massive procedure and about 5 replacement (and unobtainable) parts.  I was too scared to touch mine

turbosteve84

Makes sense. Just that the online parts diagram is a little confusing (see image. They refer to part #21 as the "Oil Pump Cover").

I'm just going to remove what the diagram says is a "Generator Cover" (six allen head bolts) and look for the failing O-Ring (#22 in the image).

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

turbosteve84

Seven bolts, guys. A big 12mm one runs lengthwise into the Front Shaft Hub Cover (formally known as the Oil Pump Cover in the parts diagram).

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Rikugun

Quote from: turbosteve84 on September 14, 2016, 06:01:27 PM
Seven bolts, guys. A big 12mm one runs lengthwise into the Front Shaft Hub Cover (formally known as the Oil Pump Cover in the parts diagram).Steve
How is that accessed, under the rubber boot? Is it a 12mm bolt or 8mm with a 12mm hex head?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

turbosteve84

Yes, under the rubber boot. Peal it back and you'll see a 12mm hex head bolt. I'd attach an image but for some reason I'm being blocked from doing that.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

motoracer8

The little round cover with the oring has to be removed from the inside.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British