News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

cam timing

Started by Yamaha135, October 15, 2016, 08:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yamaha135

Hi
just wondering if anyone has  a photo showing the front cylinder cams when front cylinder at TDC and the rear cylinder cams cams when rear cylinder is TDC
I should have taken a photo before I dismantled motor
I used a workshop manual to re time cams but would be good to check
Re Bucket Shims--I bought some from Z1 bike parts--they had loads of 29mm OD shims at a good price

Walt_M.

I don't have photos but if you followed the manual you should be okay. A quick check would be to manually turn the engine through a couple of revolutions. If nothing hits it should run. Of course you already know it can be a tooth or so off and still run but not very well. Why did you have it apart?
Whale oil beef hooked!

motoracer8

There are dots on the cams that line up with pointers on the cam bearings. If they don't line up, sometimes you can move the sprocket to one of the other location slots and get very close.
As the cam drive chains wear the cam timing becomes retarded.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

The Prophet of Doom

Ignore the mark on the sprocket. You want to base your timing off the alignment mark on the cam itself and the line on the bracket.  They are right next to eachother.

Using the marks on the sprocket it is too easy to get it misaligned depending on whether your eye is off to one side