News:

Main Menu

Fuel Cock Screen

Started by RBFD415, November 27, 2016, 06:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBFD415

Making my final reassembly after treating the tank with the POR- 15 kit. When I disassembled the fuel cock I noted that the screen tube was a good firm fit into the fuel cock body. Now (after cleaning everything) that I'm putting it back together the screen just falls out of place? I looked through the factory service manual and it mentions nothing of a gasket or seal? Additionally do you guys use any sealant on the threads that mount the fuel cock to the tank?

Thanks!

Rikugun

I don't use any thread sealer on the mounting screws.

Some users fashion a block-off plate in lieu of the petcock during a tank cleansing process. Did you have the petcock installed (sans filter screen) during the metal etching process? If so, I wonder if the chemical etching effected the ID of the petcock body that holds the screen?

I'll look at one of my spares to refresh my memory on how snug they fit...
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

RBFD415

No, I had it off. I blocked the opening with heavy duty duct tape. I cleaned the entire fuel cock and screen in the ultrasonic cleaner using Simple Green, nothing outrageous or harmful. The screen was a very snug fit prior, now it just sits in the hole. That's why I checked the service manual to see if I lost something along the way?! Something is not right with the fit?

Thanks!

QBS

My expedience has been with a snug fit.  Maybe a few wraps of teflon tape will restore snugness.

fret not

Could be that the plastic screen gassed off the fuel it had absorbed, and shrunk in the process.  You might try soaking it in some gasoline for a day or so, then try the fit.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

My guess is that wonderful ethanol fuel has worked it's magic once again and caused the nylon to shrink and there may be no easy fix. But I would give Bondic a try before I gave up.
Whale oil beef hooked!

RBFD415

"Could be that the plastic screen gassed off the fuel it had absorbed, and shrunk in the process.  You might try soaking it in some gasoline for a day or so, then try the fit."

Wow, that might be the explanation!?

Sorry to be ignorant- but whats Bondic? If its a glue, I've never seen that brand? I was thinking of using small dab of gasket or thread sealing liquid.

I thought it was weird that no body on the board had ever mentioned this happening before?!

Walt_M.

Bondic is a liquid adhesive that hardens under UV light from the pen that it comes in. I have had varying success with it and I don't know if it is fuel proof but it might be worth a try.
Whale oil beef hooked!

RBFD415

Will the Bondic adhere the nylon screen to the valve body?

The Prophet of Doom

My screen is held in place with copper wire twisted to make it tight.  Copper is fuel resistant :-)

Walt_M.

Just make sure it's clean and I would do a light score with sandpaper to give it something to hold on to.
Whale oil beef hooked!