News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Another "80's Review for the Vision

Started by pinholenz, November 29, 2016, 05:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

Yamaha 550 Vision vs. Kawasaki GPz550 - Motorcyclist, May 1982

An interesting read with all the usual culprits mentioned. However for comfort, cruising and torque, the Vision comes out on top.

POD, I don't think you have this on your resource list. Feel free to add it. I can send you a larger file if you prefer. Cheers
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

Added to resources.  Thanks Pinholen.  I don't think a larger one is needed

pinholenz

And another one. The attached review is from an Australian magazine, "Two Wheels", January 1983. To date its the only Australasian review that I have come across and  is for the Australian and New Zealand version of the Vision, the XZ550RJ.

The twin rotor stopping power was highly praised at the time..... 
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

Thanks Pinhole.  That one was on the list.

I always thought the twin setup was pretty average till I unsiezed one caliper and put on steel braided lines.  Now I'm hoping my EBC rotors and Brembo ceramic pads will make them even better.

Rikugun

More great XZ memorabilia  :)  I just downloaded this and will enjoy reading it later at my leisure. The GPz comparison article is particularly interesting to me as I have both bikes. Thanks pinholenz.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

turbosteve84

Has anyone besides me noticed that the Motorcyclist May 1982 .pdf is missing a few pages? The storyline on page 46 doesn't seem to flow to page 51.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Rikugun

Yes, I did. Or at least after a second read I did.  :) I'm kinda curious to learn what they said re the XZ's 5 speed after gushing over the GPz's 6 speed.

Overall the results were what I'd expect having read several reviews of the period - the GPz was favored by all 3 testers. I'd say they were fairly generous with the Vision though. It was interesting for instance they complained the GPz's low fuel warning light feature (in addition to a fuel gage) was premature yet never mentioned Yamaha's lack of a gage or light.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan