Starting Issue

Started by Br4zzz, December 08, 2016, 07:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Br4zzz

Quote from: Walt_M. on April 28, 2017, 05:17:00 PM
Sounds like starter circuit issues. The jets could be plugged or the actuators are not opening. Will it start if you twist the throttle to actuate the accelerator pump?
Actuators are opening, it fires a bit more when I twist the throttle. Im guessing since its squirting fuel from the accelerator pump. I pulled out each nozzle from the carb cleaned em up and re soldered them together. All jets have been replaced, one side behind a bolt next to the bowl overflow nozzle was missing a jet? I added one, still no luck on starting.

Rikugun

Since your original question was regarding the carbs I've been a bit focused on them to the exclusion of everything else. Your comment regarding a compression test is a good one as is questioning the TCI. Do you have spark under compression on both cylinders?

Getting back to the compression question....even great compression won't cure vacuum leaks. Rather than the engine breathing through the carbs it may be sourcing it's air elsewhere. There is the possibility the intake manifolds aren't sealing or perhaps the YICS is leaking or both. If you haven't already, I'd suggest plugging the engine's YICS connections for test purposes and maybe spray some starting fluid (or the like) around the manifolds while cranking the engine over and see what effect that has.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Br4zzz

Quote from: Rikugun on May 03, 2017, 09:06:46 AM
Since your original question was regarding the carbs I've been a bit focused on them to the exclusion of everything else. Your comment regarding a compression test is a good one as is questioning the TCI. Do you have spark under compression on both cylinders?

Getting back to the compression question....even great compression won't cure vacuum leaks. Rather than the engine breathing through the carbs it may be sourcing it's air elsewhere. There is the possibility the intake manifolds aren't sealing or perhaps the YICS is leaking or both. If you haven't already, I'd suggest plugging the engine's YICS connections for test purposes and maybe spray some starting fluid (or the like) around the manifolds while cranking the engine over and see what effect that has.

I'd imagine I get spark under compression due to it firing but perhaps not effectively? Whats the best way to check spark under compression? I do get smoke out of the exhausts and carbs so it is firing to some degree. I'll block off YICS and check for any other leaks! Thanks!

Rikugun

I use a 12 volt powered inductive pickup timing light but not many people seem to have them anymore. I've also suggested those inexpensive inline spark testers but have little experience using them.

There are more elaborate testers whereby one can adjust a gap the spark has to jump. You can mimic the effect by sacrificing a known good plug and bending the ground electrode out straight. This test is done with the plug laying on the cylinder head, not installed. The thinking is if the spark will jump a 1/4" gap outside the engine, it's likely to jump a .028" gap under compression.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Br4zzz

Quote from: Rikugun on May 03, 2017, 10:16:15 AM
I use a 12 volt powered inductive pickup timing light but not many people seem to have them anymore. I've also suggested those inexpensive inline spark testers but have little experience using them.

There are more elaborate testers whereby one can adjust a gap the spark has to jump. You can mimic the effect by sacrificing a known good plug and bending the ground electrode out straight. This test is done with the plug laying on the cylinder head, not installed. The thinking is if the spark will jump a 1/4" gap outside the engine, it's likely to jump a .028" gap under compression.

I have a timing light, are you just clamping the sensor around the plug cable and seeing if you get it to strobe? I can also pick up a in line spark light this evening.

Rikugun

QuoteI have a timing light, are you just clamping the sensor around the plug cable and seeing if you get it to strobe?
Yes - spark plug and cap installed with the inductive pickup sensor clamped around the high tension wire. Connect the timing light to the battery and squeeze the trigger whilst cranking the engine over to hopefully see the consistent flash of the strobe.

Br4zzz

Quote from: Rikugun on May 03, 2017, 03:40:13 PM
QuoteI have a timing light, are you just clamping the sensor around the plug cable and seeing if you get it to strobe?
Yes - spark plug and cap installed with the inductive pickup sensor clamped around the high tension wire. Connect the timing light to the battery and squeeze the trigger whilst cranking the engine over to hopefully see the consistent flash of the strobe.

Its lighting up fine. I just replaced the plugs as well along with blocking of the YICS and no change. Maybe to elaborate on what happens is I hold down the starter and it starts turning at a quick pace, the engine starts to catch and just barely fire with help of the starter and it ALMOST gets going to idle but it just doesn't quite catch. Starter fluid doesn't make any difference nor does dripping some gas in.

Br4zzz

She started!!! I pulled the carbs apart again and dipped them another time around.

She idles quite well for not running for almost 5 years.

Now to fix all the other things!

Thanks everyone for the help and putting up with all my questions!